Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In the scriptures there are stories about how Jesus interacted with people who had sinned. One is the story of the woman caught in adultery. There are others too. So, what has this to do with Absolution you may wonder?
John 8:11 DRB Who said: No man, Lord. And Jesus said: Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.​
Well, it is the last part of the interaction that is the absolution, as a Catholic would understand the passage, Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.

John 8:10-11 DRB Then Jesus lifting up himself, said to her: Woman, where are they that accused thee? Hath no man condemned thee? (11) Who said: No man, Lord. And Jesus said: Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.

No one accused her, no one condemned her, Jesus did not condemn her, and her 'penance'? what was it, just "Go and sin no more".

A Catholic act of contrition:
Lord Jesus, you opened the eyes of the blind, healed the sick, forgave the sinful woman, and after Peter's denial confirmed him in your love.
Listen to my prayer: forgive all my sins, renew your love in my heart, help me to live in perfect unity with my fellow Christians that I may proclaim your saving power to all the world.

A short prayer:
Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.​

The priest's prayer of absolution:
God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Absolution, has nothing to do with receiving God's free gift of Eternal Life and becoming a born again child of God.

If the woman caught in adultery never believed in Jesus, then she would end up eventually in the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Though a priest or Christian minister may counsel someone, hear a confession, and then declare forgiveness from God, the formal act of confession is not, I believe, necessary. What is necessary is that one apologize to the one he has offended, if possible, and confess to God his wrongs with the notion that he will, if possible, make things right, or reform his behavior.

Confession is merely the expressed intention to change, which means nothing if change does not follow. Confession saves only if a person follows through with his confession of Christ and begins to live for him.

The authority to release from sin or to convict of sin was given to all Christians by God. We are not doing the actual binding or loosing--just giving a testimony that is so true that God will back us up. When we discern, by the Spirit of God, that someone is truly confessing his sin, and repenting, we can, with the authority of God, declare God's forgiveness. And God will back us up by forgiving that person, restoring him.

We do not ourselves have the power to forgive for eternal life, but only to forgive transgressions made against us ourselves.

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
A man cannot absolve sin. Why even add that part? We should be urged to go the the Father through Christ since that's why the veil was rent from top to bottom so he could be our High Priest for one and all time. We ourselves could boldy go through to the Holy of Holies.

Just curious and in general do Catholics ever go to the Father himself besides the Lord's prayer in mass/church for forgiveness, talk to in general or is your relationship to the Father specifically tied to the church? Because it sounds like everyone says the same prayers, a lot of repetition, etc

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A man cannot absolve sin.
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld."
(John 20:21-23 ESV)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God the Father of mercies, through the death and resurrection of his Son has reconciled the world to himself and sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins; through the ministry of the Church may God give you pardon and peace, and I absolve you from your sins in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
No Christian in the NT or OT says "I absolve you from your sins" --

I think we both know that is true.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise, take up your bed and walk'? (Mark 2:9 ESV)
"The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me." (Luke 10:16 ESV) But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" (Acts 3:6 ESV) If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld." (John 20:23 ESV)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, 'Your sins are forgiven,' or to say, 'Rise, take up your bed and walk'? (Mark 2:9 ESV)
No doubt God can say "your sins are forgiven". But no OT or NT Christian (Christ was not a follower of Christ - He was God... Christ Himself) says "I absolve you from your sins" as we both know in either OT or NT.

Had you such a quote - I am confident you would have provided it by now.
"The one who hears you hears me,
Indeed - yet that did not make humans - "God".
Which may be why it is that no OT or NT Christian says "I absolve you from your sins"
But Peter said, "I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!" (Acts 3:6 ESV)
Indeed - many people in both OT and NT are recorded as healing people by the power God gave them -- but still not one Christian in either OT or NT says "I absolve you from your sins"
If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld." (John 20:23 ESV)
"forgive our debts as we forgive those who transgress AGAINST US" -

We are called to forgive others when they sin against us - transgress against us - cause us injury. But that does not place us in God's chair for everything they do ... NOR does it even allow us to erase their sins from the books of heaven when they transgress against us.

NOR is that limited to clergy - rather it is in the Lord's prayer and even the most uninformed and youthful among us - are called to forgive others when they cause offense against us. Even in the case of our enemies we are not to hold a grudge or be unforgiving.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld."
(John 20:21-23 ESV)

I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

In this verse, John doesn't say "confess your sins to me and I will absolve you of your sins. He states "He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us..."

Going by your reasoning John could then absolve himself but we see that he includes himself in this as well as needing to be forgiven and cleansed.

Also, you didn't answer my other question. Since you posted prayers I was curious if Catholics such as yourself go to the Father himself in prayer outside of church? Or is your prayer to him tied to specfically the church masses?

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

In this verse, John doesn't say "confess your sins to me and I will absolve you of your sins. He states "He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us..."

Going by your reasoning John could then absolve himself but we see that he includes himself in this as well as needing to be forgiven and cleansed.

Also, you didn't answer my other question. Since you posted prayers I was curious if Catholics such as yourself go to the Father himself in prayer outside of church? Or is your prayer to him tied to specfically the church masses?
How would any of the apostles know what sins to forgive and what not to forgive unless the sins were confessed to them?

Catholics always pray to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, even those prayers to saints and Blessed Mary are made in the name of the Blessed Trinity.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How would any of the apostles know what sins to forgive and what not to forgive unless the sins were confessed to them?

Catholics always pray to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, even those prayers to saints and Blessed Mary are made in the name of the Blessed Trinity.
A note to clarify: Catholics open and close prayers with the sign of the cross saying as a prayer "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit".

I pray every morning, and every evening, and I pray many times during the day. Many prayers are short, some are longer, and usually the morning and evening prayers are liturgical prayers from the Book of the Hours (AKA the Divine Office).

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I pray every morning, and every evening, and I pray many times during the day. Many prayers are short, some are longer, and usually the morning and evening prayers are liturgical prayers from the Book of the Hours (AKA the Divine Office).
Thanks for your answer. As I said, I was curious.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
One response in this thread contended that John 20:23 really means, "If you forgive the sins [means trespasses] of any, they are forgiven them; if you withhold forgiveness from any, it is withheld." I want to clarify why this is not the case. It will take only a short post.

Here is the verse in Greek: John 20:23 αν τινων αφητε τας αμαρτιας αφιενται αυτοις αν τινων κρατητε κεκρατηνται
αμαρτιας is the word is Greek for sins. It is not the same as the word for trespasses. The word for trespasses is οφειληματα.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No Christian in the NT or OT says "I absolve you from your sins"
Is it the word "absolve" that your post is about?
It means: ab·solve VERB
  1. declare (someone) free from guilt, obligation, or punishment:
God forgives, the priest absolves. It is a word of comfort for a sinner to hear, to hear the priest, acting as Christ's representative, say, "you are free from guilt, obligation, and punishment, now."

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Every Sunday we as the congregation offer a penitential prayer, a prayer of confession to God. The pastor, who by Christ's name and authority, and in His stead, as a minister of Christ and His Gospel, exercising the sacred office of the Keys, declares our sins forgiven.

Absolution is a precious and holy gift for us, from Christ who personally instituted it in Holy Scripture.

Private confession is also available to any who seeks it out. But whether corporately or privately, it is a gift to be able to boldly approach the throne of grace, confess our sins, for we know from the promise of Scripture that if we confess our sins, God will forgive us and cleanse us of all unrighteousness--that is the solemn promise of God in the Scriptures. And Christ our Lord provided this within the sacred ministry of His Church, that we should hear our forgiveness declared, and to trust in the powerful and living word of the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the scriptures there are stories about how Jesus interacted with people who had sinned. One is the story of the woman caught in adultery. There are others too. So, what has this to do with Absolution you may wonder?
John 8:11 DRB Who said: No man, Lord. And Jesus said: Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.​
Well, it is the last part of the interaction that is the absolution, as a Catholic would understand the passage, Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.

John 8:10-11 DRB Then Jesus lifting up himself, said to her: Woman, where are they that accused thee? Hath no man condemned thee? (11) Who said: No man, Lord. And Jesus said: Neither will I condemn thee. Go, and now sin no more.

No one accused her, no one condemned her, Jesus did not condemn her, and her 'penance'? what was it, just "Go and sin no more".

A Catholic act of contrition:
Lord Jesus, you opened the eyes of the blind, healed the sick, forgave the sinful woman, and after Peter's denial confirmed him in your love.
Listen to my prayer: forgive all my sins, renew your love in my heart, help me to live in perfect unity with my fellow Christians that I may proclaim your saving power to all the world.

A short prayer:
Lord Jesus, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.​

Just asking as to when Priest's can forgive SIN's with a verse ?

I do know of a verse in John 20 :23 , but do not see how that can be applicable for today as it was ONLY for Israel.

dan p

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,547.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Just asking as to when Priest's can forgive SIN's with a verse ?
Priests do not forgive sins, but God does, and God uses a man, a priest, to speak the words that assure the faithful of their forgiveness just as Jesus spoke the words to the woman caught in adultery "I absolve you, go and sin no more".
I do know of a verse in John 20 :23 , but do not see how that can be applicable for today as it was ONLY for Israel.
Joh 20:23 Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them: and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained.
The words above were spoken after the resurrection and after the new covenant was operative so why do you say that they apply to Israel alone?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Jesus gave the apostles and their successors authority to absolve people form their sins (John 20:21-23, Matthew 18:18)

Upvote 0