Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

That looks like an interesting book. Does it require the reader to know physics? The topics it discusses are interesting. I started college as a physics major, but I had to give it up because I began to fill like I was just manipulating symbols on a piece of paper without understanding anything. So I'm interested in the topics, but my math and physics knowledge is weak. (Probably I better spend my time and money on Uncle Scrooge comics instead. :) )

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
That looks like an interesting book. Does it require the reader to know physics? The topics it discusses are interesting. I started college as a physics major, but I had to give it up because I began to fill like I was just manipulating symbols on a piece of paper without understanding anything. So I'm interested in the topics, but my math and physics knowledge is weak. (Probably I better spend my time and money on Uncle Scrooge comics instead. :) )

I dropped out of a physics minor after not doing well in a quantum physics class. I think I understood the theory OK, but the math was a problem. (What the heck is phi???)

The Scrooge comics might just help with chemistry though.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
✟18,105.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

There is a lot of math, but the basic point of the book doesn't require any deep understanding of the math at all. I know what you mean about manipulating symbols. OTOH my son is a physics and math major and seems to be loving it so far...

I will send you a PM later with more info...

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,108.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While the Westminster Confession isn't one I subscribe to, its response to the chief end of man is interesting: "To glorify God and enjoy Him forever." I'm particularly drawn to the phrasing "enjoy Him", that man isn't simply a tool, but a relational subject, and that at the heart of the human-divine relationship, what it's meant to be, is one of enjoyment. To take joy in God.

I like your observation. I would also add that man being created to enjoy Him doesn't reduce God to some narcissistic being with a burning desire to be worshipped or a dysfunctional father figure who sends people to Hell for not doing so.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why are we here, today, now?

You were born.

If you are asking: what are we to do with our lives now that we are born, the answer is to find creative activities appropriate to your talents to do with your life, and thus to flourish and find happiness.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟769,347.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Love is a very poor purpose to fulfill one's life
More than any other creature in this Creation the Human Being is made to respond to Love. So with out Love in the mix, I see no way any human being can truly fulfill ones purpose in life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

prov1810

Form of the Good - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "In Platonism, the meaning of life is in attaining the highest form of knowledge, which is the Idea (Form) of the Good, from which all good and just things derive utility and value.

"The Form of the Good has been described as one of the more cryptic doctrines in Plato's metaphysics and epistemology and there is no scholarly consensus as to its meaning in the abstract or how it is supposed to exercise its influence in practice. There is an ancient anecdotal tradition that Plato gave a public lecture entitled "On the Good" which so confused the audience that most walked out."

Upvote 0
P

prov1810

Even when our physical needs are met, our minds are restless and demanding. What is the answer? All the answers raise more questions. We are frustrated and we distract the question with entertainments. Then we are bored with these entertainments and we are frustrated again. At this point something cathartically wonderful happens for those who just let it happen, but there is no point in sharing the insight. To the hearer it's just another answer.

Upvote 0

dlamberth

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2003
Oregon
✟769,347.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
✟18,105.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
The only way one is going to attain that knowledge is if they love attaining it, or it won't happen. Love HAS to be in the mix some how.

Maybe a synonym for love will work better for some: that we really CARE, that we give a damn about beauty and truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
P

prov1810

The only way one is going to attain that knowledge is if they love attaining it, or it won't happen. Love HAS to be in the mix some how.

I agree. It's not an idea, and love is more than sentiment. Love is a mental discipline, constantly practiced, and that is how we know what is worth knowing. This knowledge is not our birthright and it's not for the dilettante.

Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Even when our physical needs are met, our minds are restless and demanding. What is the answer?

One must tame the mind, then peace will come.

We are frustrated and we distract the question with entertainments. Then we are bored with these entertainments and we are frustrated again.

Trying to find happiness in material objects usually leads to this scenario.

At this point something cathartically wonderful happens for those who just let it happen, but there is no point in sharing the insight. To the hearer it's just another answer.

For some. For others it's just another 'entertainment' that they will bore of. Without getting the mind in check, it can be an endless cycle. Some people are ok to just float in the boat and hope the wind blows them towards the shore. Others like to pick up some oars and row themselves.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. It's not an idea, and love is more than sentiment. Love is a mental discipline, constantly practiced, and that is how we know what is worth knowing. This knowledge is not our birthright and it's not for the dilettante.

Wise words.

Upvote 0

Dialogues

Mar 9, 2014
✟8,410.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
One must tame the mind, then peace will come.

Fully agree! The animal/lower/natural self requires some taming. Using reason and understanding, one can cease to follow the natural bent in anger, intercourse, speech, eating, drinking, and so on, and regulate one's thoughts and actions to behave in a civilised and appropriate manner.

The natural moral and spiritual states of mankind are discussed with great insights in the first chapter to this online book:

http://www.alislam.org/library/books/Philosophy-of-Teachings-of-Islam.pdf

(The first chapter starts on page 36 of the online book, and page 31 or 32 of the downloaded book)

Please let me know whether you find you can agree with the first couple of pages where the three states are introduced.

Trying to find happiness in material objects usually leads to this scenario.

Agree again.

Peace.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
There are many conceivable answers to this question - maybe more than there are sapient beings in this planet.

I am highly skeptical when it comes to grand meta-narratives, even the ones that try to be extremely general - for at the end of the day, they are all "cookie cutters".

The purpose of life is living it - and every single one of us has to figure out what that means in each particular case.

Last edited:
Reactions: ContraMundum
Upvote 0