Who was the greatest of all saints???

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Too obliquely quote Paul Washer quoting someone else...

"You'll never know him. He's out in the world somewhere, in some little heard of country, in a broken down hut preaching the Gospel to everyone who will hear".
That is a good quote, I also like the one Jesus quoted...

Matthew 11:11 "I solemnly tell you that among all of woman born no greater has ever been raised up than John the Baptist;

Upvote 0

IamAdopted

Nov 22, 2006
South Carolina
✟18,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mat 10:38 "And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me.
Mat 10:39 "He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for My sake will find it.
Mat 10:40 "He who receives you receives Me, and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.
Mat 10:41 "He who receives a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he who receives a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.
Mat 10:42 "And whoever in the name of a disciple gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water to drink, truly I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Theotokos
Using scripture, one can see that Jesus held John in even higher esteem than Mary....
Matthew 11:11 "I solemnly tell you that among all of woman born no greater has ever been raised up than John the Baptist;

Afterall Mary was older than John and yet this is Jesus speaking of John being the greatest born of woman.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Odd version of Scripture you are using simon.
It is a deliberate misquote, or a NIVesque distortion ?
actually I didn't pay particular attention to which I was using...forgive me!

NIV
Matthew 11:11

11I tell you the truth: Among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

NASB: "Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BTW, Christ is speaking of the Prophets here, of which St. John the Forerunner is the last.

Read the context:

Why then did you go out? To see a prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. This is he of whom it is written, 'Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, who shall prepare thy way before thee.' Truly, I say to you, among those born of women [i.e the Prophets] there has risen no one greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

(Mat 11:9-11 RSVA)

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
actually I didn't pay particular attention to which I was using...forgive me!

No problem, but whatever version it was, is terribly distorted in it's rendering of the text. Plainly read, it speaks of women born, which is not what traditional translations say.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No problem, but whatever version it was, is terribly distorted in it's rendering of the text. Plainly read, it speaks of women born, which is not what traditional translations say.
Weymouth I believe!

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Christ for He was the first born ... :) He is our example and our God.. He is the first fruits.. LOL...
Christ is not a saint, He is the reason we have saints.

Side from the Theotokos, I am rather partial to St. Francis of Assisi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.