Who should be a groomsman?

Matorin

Jul 5, 2010
✟7,619.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now before I get a whole bunch of "WELL SHUCKS IT CAN BE WHOEVER YOU WANT IT TO BE AND DON'T LET NOBODY TELL YA DIFFERNT!" I'm wondering more what is usual/has anyone else heard of this. My question is: How much older than the groom have you seen groomsman? My fiance's is looking to have either 3 or 5 bridesmaids, and I really only have two people around my age who I would consider close enough friends to be my best man/other groomsman. That leaves at least 1 more to fill, and I don't have anyone around my age. However, the leader of my campus outreach group (the Navigators) and I are close, but he is in his early 40s and has a wife and two kids. Now I know there are no hard and fast rules about "ye must have thy groomsman be no more than such and so an age older" but I'm wondering, for weddings with people ~22, have you ever seen a groomsman (or bridesmaid for that matter) who was in their 40s or older?

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have at a few weddings I've worked. Nothing odd about it, really.

I've personally been a groomsman in a wedding where I didn't really know the guy all that well, but he needed more groomsmen to match the bridesmaids and was in your same position, so being that I'm married to the brides sister, they asked me. :p

Upvote 0

Rora

Dec 16, 2010
Florida
✟15,292.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I think that it would be perfectly acceptable to ask him, even though he's considerably older than you.

I've seen a wide range of bridal party ages-- MOHs and BM that were parents, older cousins, etc.

I'm sure your Dad or an Uncle would be happy to step in. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's fine. My husbands groomsmen were all his age or younger. His 3 good friends and my younger brother.

When one of my brothers got married, his best man was quite a bit older than him. He looked atleast 40 and my brother was in his 20's at the time.

Upvote 0

married0116

Jan 22, 2011
✟7,641.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I have. My husband and I got married 1 year ago and wanted a small wedding.... He has 2 brothers and had both stand up for him. I had my brother stand up for me and my matron of honor is 20 years older than I. Ultimately, age doesn't matter. What matters is the closeness of the people who are standing with you on your day! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums