up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The story goes back long before the creation of man where entities first created the foundation for rebellious mankind in their own adversarial ways to the will of God. Being adversarial by nature since the Garden for man means all of us do not have the will of God in our thoughts but simply what is in it for us. Contrary to God's will, we seek self satisfaction rather then focusing on the well being of all.

So obviously these would avoid (including within Christianity) truly seeking God, as the further they seek the more they come to realize we have it all backwards in the world we have made in our own image, and they often fear becoming outcasts in this world of man. Theology can even seek loopholes which draw attention away from the hypocrisy while claiming to represent God.

Self interest is very protective of self. It is a narrow path that is needed for the few who actually reject the ways of man for the ways of God and the Kingdom as we were advised to do. This repentant attitude causes rifts from the very top right down to within immediate family. Being in the world but not of it can be a rocky ride if improperly applied unless one learns the art of neutrality. That of course is the purpose of loving all as self.

However the more one comes to understand the will of God in comparison to the contrary will of man, the more attractive it becomes, even with the adverse reactions from those absorbed in self who fear anything outside their box. Ironic this path of 'self' destruction is the path to salvation.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟118,667.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The story goes back long before the creation of man where entities first created the foundation for rebellious mankind in their own adversarial ways to the will of God. Being adversarial by nature since the Garden for man means all of us do not have the will of God in our thoughts but simply what is in it for us. Contrary to God's will, we seek self satisfaction rather then focusing on the well being of all.

So obviously these would avoid (including within Christianity) truly seeking God, as the further they seek the more they come to realize we have it all backwards in the world we have made in our own image, and they often fear becoming outcasts in this world of man. Theology can even seek loopholes which draw attention away from the hypocrisy while claiming to represent God.

Self interest is very protective of self. It is a narrow path that is needed for the few who actually reject the ways of man for the ways of God and the Kingdom as we were advised to do. This repentant attitude causes rifts from the very top right down to within immediate family. Being in the world but not of it can be a rocky ride if improperly applied unless one learns the art of neutrality. That of course is the purpose of loving all as self.

However the more one comes to understand the will of God in comparison to the contrary will of man, the more attractive it becomes, even with the adverse reactions from those absorbed in self who fear anything outside their box. Ironic this path of 'self' destruction is the path to salvation.
Some people are on that narrow path though, from what I can tell. It seems like He is all they want

And some, God doesn't appear to be in 'any' of their thoughts

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 10 v 4
The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God;
God is in none of his thoughts.
-----
are some people more prone to search for God?

Do others actively try to avoid the things of God?

There is none who is righteous, there is none who seeks God. Romans 3:10-18

However God Himself has chosen to be on our side, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31

God identifies with the lowly and the reject (see the judgment scene in Matthew 25), God gives us Himself out of His compassion toward us wretched sinners, in order to rescue us, redeem us, heal us, cleanse us, and save us. For Christ came into the world to save sinners.

"But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from the law, although the Law and the Prophets bear witness to it— the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe. For there is no distinction: for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God's righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins. It was to show his righteousness at the present time, so that he might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus." - Romans 3:21-26

All means all--all have sinned, all have fallen short, all are dead in their trespasses.
Likewise Christ died for all, God loves all, and desires that all are saved, so the Gospel goes out to all. For it is "the power of God to save all who believe".

Even as the Law is a harsh hammer that is slammed down upon the gavel against us, with all severity condemning us as sinners deserving of death and hell. So too is the Gospel sweet and soothing, the power of God to save sinners. The Law in all its severity against us; the Gospel in all its sweetness toward us. So that "where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more" not as an excuse to go on sinning; but that God is ever-compassionate toward us, desiring none should perish. God loves us, and His love cannot be negated.

God works without rest to call us, each and every sinner, to salvation. And He is the One who saves.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some people are on that narrow path though, from what I can tell. It seems like He is all they want

Only One has ever walked that narrow way, and it's He who spoke of it. All are on the broad way to destruction, but God in His mercy finds us in Jesus, and makes us His own. And places us in Christ who did walk that narrow way; and calls us to follow Him down that narrow and difficult way.

"Be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" is, by human strength, impossible. After all, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible". None can obey the commandments of God, for all have sinned; and the one who violates even one of His commands has violated them all, according to St. James in his epistle (James 2:10).

But Christ is righteous.
And by the grace of God His righteousness is now ours, as a gift. And therefore we are justified before God by grace alone.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,959.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Agreed. To me it it is a dangerous person that believes neither in God nor an afterlife for it frees them up to have a winner take all attitude where anything goes, make the most of everything. Thankfully God put in most of us, regardless of outlook, a sense of conscience to help subdue that and reduce the extreme tyrants to a minimum.

Upvote 0

Psalm 27

Aug 21, 2020
Uk
✟118,667.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Only One has ever walked that narrow way, and it's He who spoke of it. All are on the broad way to destruction, but God in His mercy finds us in Jesus, and makes us His own. And places us in Christ who did walk that narrow way; and calls us to follow Him down that narrow and difficult way.

"Be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect" is, by human strength, impossible. After all, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible". None can obey the commandments of God, for all have sinned; and the one who violates even one of His commands has violated them all, according to St. James in his epistle (James 2:10).

But Christ is righteous.
And by the grace of God His righteousness is now ours, as a gift. And therefore we are justified before God by grace alone.

-CryptoLutheran
why did Jesus say 'be perfect' (Mt 5), and 'enter into the narrow gate' (Mt 7) If it were impossible?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,277.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
why did Jesus say 'be perfect' (Mt 5), and 'enter into the narrow gate' (Mt 7) If it were impossible?

The Law says "do". Because what the Law commands is right and good, therefore it must be done (or in some cases, what must not be done, e.g. "do not murder").

But we can't do it. We don't obey the Law.

Here is what St. Paul says in Romans 7

"For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the Law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are released from the Law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in a new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

What then shall we say? That the Law is sin? By no means! Yet if it had not been for the Law, I would not have known sin. For I would not have known what it is to covet if the Law had not said, 'You shall not covet'. But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the Law, sin lies dead. I was once alive apart from the Law, but when the commandment came, sin came alive and I died. The very commandment that promised life proved to be death to me. For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me. So the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the Law, that it is good. So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the Law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my m embers another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?
" - Romans 7:5-24

The Law says "do", but I don't do it--because I am sinful. I may say to myself, "I wish to do good", and yet I don't do good, I do what is evil instead. I know what ought to be done, for the Law says it--"Love thy neighbor" and yet is that what I do? It is not what I do, instead I hear what the Law says, I say to myself, "I will do this" and then what happens instead? I fail, I error, I don't do it. I know what is right, but do not do what is right, I do what is wrong instead.

The word of God is "Be perfect", that is, imitate God, be like God, in Luke's version of he Lord's Sermon it reads, "Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful". Are we? Is any one of us like God? Does a single one of us love like God loves? Forgive like God forgives? Are generous the way God is generous? What is the generosity of God? It's there in John 3:16, "God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son" and it's there in Philippians 2:6-7 that Christ "who was by nature God, did not regard equality with God something to be exploited, but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a slave, born in the likeness of humanity"

The commandment says, "Be holy, for I YHWH your God am holy" (Leviticus 19:2). Who is holy? Of the billions of men who lived and died on this planet, how many were holy? The Scriptures tell us that there has only been One, His name is Jesus.

For, again,

"No one is righteous, no, not even one; no one understands, no one seeks for God. All have turned aside, together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one." - Romans 3:10-12

God's word is truth, His commandment is Law, He declares what is good and right and what must be done. But the Law cannot make us right, the commandment cannot make us holy; for sin is like a snake in the grass, primed to strike.

So that the Law says "do" and it is never done. As Martin Luther wisely put it in his Heidelberg Disputation.

But the converse, the Gospel says "trust this" for it is already done. Christ alone is righteous, and Christ alone has kept the Law, Christ alone is holy, and here is the happy exchange: Our death becomes His death, and His life becomes our life. Exchanging death for life, we have from God in Christ what we could not have for ourselves: righteousness, holiness, and every good; an inheritance from above by which we are children of God by grace alone. In order that we should belong to God, and belonging to God, enjoy God, and enjoy all which God has made, forever.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Psalm 27
Upvote 0