Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
My favorite Popes are John XXIII, who was the Pope when I was a child, and Francis.

In a world that has changed more in the past century than in the previous 6,000 years since humankind has walked the earth, John XXIII realized that the Church needed to change, too. And so, although he had been expected to reliably maintain the status quo, he did the unexpected. Truly the Holy Spirit had a hand in his election.

John Paul II and Benedict XVI were great scholars, and along came Francis, who is living proof that there are many kinds of intelligence. He has extraordinary emotional intelligence, and although he is scholarly, he always leads with his heart. He is humble and authentic--the real deal.
I have heard it described like this
for both John Paul II and Benedict XVI, the Cardinals were looking for "the smartest man in the room"
many people who were close to Benedict XVI said he was most comfortable talking with university students (he was a professor) there was one story about how he gave a talk in a University in Rome after he became Pope and afterwards he just spent hours in the reception hall of the collage nursing a beer and just listing to the comments the students had to make and answering a few questions but mostly just fostering conversations between the students
John Paul II was a mystic
Benedict was a professor
and Francis is a pastor

? Not meaning to sidetrack, but human beings have been around for hundreds of thousands of years. Or did you mean "civilization?"
Fantine is a Young Earth Creationist, didn't you know that, she firmly believes that mankind (and the earth itself) is only 6,000 years old
;)

Reactions: benedictaoo
Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
The younger generation is probably not aware how dangerous the times were during the cold war.

I remember very well the most dangerous time during the cold war......those most fearful days of the Cuban Missile Crisis when the world was on the brink of nuclear war .

Not many are aware of the part Good Pope John , as the world came to know him , played in averting nuclear war during this crisis .

A War Prevented: Pope John XXIII and the Cuban Missile Crisis.......

http://www.crisismagazine.com/2011/preventing-war-pope-john-xxiii-and-the-cuban-missile-crisis

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,134.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I believe in theological evolution but I do think that mankind as we know it has only been walking the earth 6000 years. Rosh Hashanah celebrates the New Year from the time of Adam and Eve. They don't go back as far as Neanderthal and Cro Magnun periods.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I believe in theological evolution but I do think that mankind as we know it has only been walking the earth 6000 years.
?? Those two beliefs are mutually exclusive.

Rosh Hashanah celebrates the New Year from the time of Adam and Eve. They don't go back as far as Neanderthal and Cro Magnun periods.
Not sure what relevance Rosh Hashanah has, but OK, was just curious, not meaning to start up a thing about it. :)

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Here is JPII when he came to Boston. The crowds were massive.

He came to New Orleans in 1987. I wish I would have not missed that. I went to Ft Walton beach, Florida instead, I remember that, I was I think 19 and I didn't know better. He drove around the Superdome in his pope mobile blessing the football field and it was the first winning season the Saints ever had that year and to this day it's where the slogan "Bless you boys..." referring to the Saints, came from, the pope's visit.
635742145274263487-pope-AP.jpg

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
He came to New Orleans in 1987. I wish I would have not missed that. I went to Ft Walton beach, Florida instead, I remember that, I was I think 19 and I didn't know better. He drove around the Superdome in his pope mobile blessing the football field and it was the first winning season the Saints ever had that year and to this day it's where the slogan "Bless you boys..." referring to the Saints, came from, the pope's visit.
635742145274263487-pope-AP.jpg

They were heady times.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Pope Benedict XVI and Pope Pius XI.
Furthermore, has anybody thought of St Peter as a choice?

If it's a valid choice I'm afraid I'm forced to go with him :)

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Probably my favorite Pope. He seemed strong, deeply spiritual yet uncompromising.
He stood strong with Lech Walesa of Solidarity and Ronald Reagan against the Soviet Union. It was very effective.

The younger generation is probably not aware how dangerous the times were during the cold war. I remember when JPII came to Boston, the crowds were huge.
and
Jpll being such a Marian pope, his devotion to Mary is what made him so great, IMO.

Upvote 0