Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Colin, I have no idea why you are getting so upset. This is supposed to be an upbeat thread where we learn about our favorite Popes. Seems that to me you are being overly sensitive. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'll miss your presence.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My most sentimental Pope is JPII. I admired and followed him before I entered the RCC. I entered in October of 2004 and wrote to him the following Christmas and got a reply back giving me an apostolic blessing. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You know, after Pope Benedict got into the position of Pope, I had a hard time relating to him. But I think it was because I missed JPII so much. It took me awhile to understand him but I really grew to admire him. I think if him often and wonder how he is doing. I need to learn more about previous popes. I really know next to nothing about them.

Granted my papal knowledge isn't very good, I've grown quite fond of Benedict XVI. I also think Pope Saint Pius X was very interesting, also

Wow... wow. What in the world merited that? Quite charitable of you, good job. :thumbsup:

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
JPll was brilliant theologian. He named himself after JPl who died only after a month of being elected which JPll was part of the conclave who elected him. I'd like to learn more about JPl. Strange but its been said if we do not have the right pope, God will get him out. I find this fascinating. JPl dies after a month (rumors have it, the mafia killed him) and Benedict retired. A pope has never retired. I find that fascinating.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah there are all sorts of theories about JPI. I'd like to know more about him myself. He seemed like a very gregarious person.

JPll was brilliant theologian. He named himself after JPl who died only after a month of being elected which JPll was part of the conclave who elected him. I'd like to learn more about JPl. Strange but its been said if we do not have the right pope, God will get him out. I find this fascinating. JPl dies after a month (rumors have it, the mafia killed him) and Benedict retired. A pope has never retired. I find that fascinating.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
JPII became Pope when I was a teenager and I always admired his intellect and sanctity. A very charming man and I don't mean that superficially. Also, Benedict - his Jesus trilogy is impressive. God bless you, brothers and sisters.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JPII became Pope when I was a teenager and I always admired his intellect and sanctity. A very charming man and I don't mean that superficially. Also, Benedict - his Jesus trilogy is impressive. God bless you, brothers and sisters.
Thank you! God bless you! :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Granted my papal knowledge isn't very good, I've grown quite fond of Benedict XVI. I also think Pope Saint Pius X was very interesting, also

Wow... wow. What in the world merited that? Quite charitable of you, good job. :thumbsup:
You know, I often run across Pope Pius metals and such in the antiques market.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You know, I often run across Pope Pius metals and such in the antiques market.

That's pretty cool! I would like to read more about him, but I'm always leery that I'll run into SSPX propaganda or something.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's pretty cool! I would like to read more about him, but I'm always leery that I'll run into SSPX propaganda or something.
I look for stuff that was put out when he was still Pope. I do not bother with anything after as much. This Pope for some reason, seems like he was hijacked post mortem with certain groups.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I look for stuff that was put out when he was still Pope. I do not bother with anything after as much. This Pope for some reason, seems like he was hijacked post mortem with certain groups.

That's a good rule of thumb, I'll follow that.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's a good rule of thumb, I'll follow that.
I really stumbled on to that practice. I have metals when he was Pope. All sorts of things. Pamphlets, prayers, etc. I usually find a lot of that at Catholic estate sales.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just read the archives of the popes...wasn't Pious the pope who was held prisoner in the Vatican during WWll? And that's why the Vatican became its own state?
No that was after Pope Pius X. You know, Pius X was a very handsome man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The first is easy for me, Pope John XXIII. He is probably the biggest reason I am a Catholic today. He put a human face on the Church, and made it seem relevant to what was happening in the world and with humanity. To me, he led Catholicism out of the dark, cold, somber shadows of a Latinized European religion that overly stressed sin, shame and punishment, and showed it to be a gospel oriented Church of faith, love and hope.

My number two right now is Pope Francis. His focus on a forgiving, merciful and welcoming church is also gospel oriented. I really liked both of his first major documents and in putting the spotlight on issues of the family and marriage (and re-marriage), and his focus on a year of mercy. I love his simpler, low key style, and how he does not put himself above the rest of us, but acts like the servant of all of us. And expects the same of his fellow bishops.

A somewhat distant third would be Pope Paul VI, primarily for how he opened the Church to the world, and by being the first to travel extensively, started to change the view of a church revolving around Rome and the Curia, to one of a Church centered on Christ and encompassing all the faithful equally.

Being most familiar with popes of the past 200 years, it would be difficult for me to rank other popes before that. From what I have read, however, there have been other excellent popes over the centuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0