USA
✟1,137.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Interesting we've seen nothing from the pro 2nd amendment folks on this. I guess this guy can look on the bright side of the fact that he wasnt shot for being black while bearing arms (other blacks ghost olding toy guns havent been so lucky in the last month or so, like the boy in the park or the guy in the walmart).

A Black Man Was Lawfully Carrying a Gun. Then a White "Vigilante" Stepped In - Mic

Welcome to Florida, where everyone is encouraged to carry a gun (unless they're black).

Clarence Daniels, a 62-year-old black man with a concealed weapons permit, was entering a Tampa-area Wal-Mart to purchase some coffee creamer for his wife on Tuesday. Armed with a label in case he forgot the brand of creamer — and his handgun, holstered on his hip — Daniels barely made it through the big-box store's automatic doors before being tackled by Michael Foster, a 43-year-old would-be vigilante. And by the way, Foster is white.

"He's got a gun!" Foster shouted to passing shoppers after throwing Daniels to the ground. Despite Daniels screaming "I have a permit!" multiple times, Foster kept Daniels (who's showing a great deal of restraint in not standing his ground right in the Wal-Mart vestibule) in a chokehold until local police arrived and confirmed that Daniels had a permit for the weapon.

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting we've seen nothing from the pro 2nd amendment folks on this. I guess this guy can look on the bright side of the fact that he wasnt shot for being black while bearing arms (other blacks ghost olding toy guns havent been so lucky in the last month or so, like the boy in the park or the guy in the walmart).

A Black Man Was Lawfully Carrying a Gun. Then a White "Vigilante" Stepped In - Mic

What exactly do you mean you've seen nothing about this? I've seen a lot about it.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a Second-Amendment guy, and I just saw this thread.

Here's an important detail you didn't mention: it's illegal to carry a gun openly (like in a belt holster) in Florida, with or without a permit. So anyone doing so is in violation of the law.

The news report is wrong about it being legal, but - what's new about that?

That doesn't justify tackling him though; that was just stupid.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Here's an important detail you didn't mention: it's illegal to carry a gun openly (like in a belt holster) in Florida, with or without a permit. So anyone doing so is breaking the law, and may rightfully be judged to be a criminal.

The laws in Wisconsin are different. You can open carry if you have a concealed carry permit. I wouldn't advise it though, at least not on a regular basis.

Not sure how the laws of Florida are but even if someone legally owning a pistol in Wisconsin, but not owning a concealed carry permit, is illegally walking about town openly carrying a pistol. That same person can legally use the same deadly force as a person with a concealed carry permit who is legally walking about town openly carrying a pistol.

In other words... this black Florida man if he were in Wisconsin and did not own a concealed carry permit valid in the state of Wisconsin, and attacked by a white man using a choke hold on him (a lot of "choke holds" are technically strangulation techniques--but they are still called "choke holds" in the martial arts and in the NYPD evidently) he would be within his right of the law, privileged by the law, to shoot the white man strangulating him.

I would say this black Florida man exercised incredible restraint. That white guy would not have been so fortunate with me.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say this black Florida man exercised incredible restraint. That white guy would not have been so fortunate with me.

I agree. It was an unjustified, unreasonable attack. Fortunately, the armed man was not looking for a fight (most of them are not).

You've gotta have a brain missing if you're tackling an armed guy, whose open carry is permitted by the law. What an idiot.

Even if it's not permitted (as in this case), the attack is worse than the gun violation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Here's an important detail you didn't mention: it's illegal to carry a gun openly (like in a belt holster) in Florida, with or without a permit. So anyone doing so is breaking the law, and may rightfully be judged to be a criminal.

Does that make it legal to tackle these people allegedly breaking the law, in a parking lot?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does that make it legal to tackle these people allegedly breaking the law, in a parking lot?

No, but there's nothing special about this case. However, the reporting certainly was biased and attempted to make a racial matter out of it. Maybe we should talk about that.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, but there's nothing special about this case. However, the reporting certainly was biased and attempted to make a racial matter out of it. Maybe we should talk about that.

Not their modus operadi. They'll just "move on".

Upvote 0

Bedford

May 10, 2013
✟13,490.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

I see nothing special with this case either. I see people tackling gun-strapped people every day. Don't you?

People carrying guns are always under attacked by vigilantes.

:p

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing special with this case either. I see people tackling gun-strapped people every day. Don't you?
I do frequently hear (and sometimes see) news reports of people who intervened to stop hold-ups in convenience stores, attempted abductions in parking lots, and other such events, yes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The gun situation in the US is so .......... foreign!. You guys are just weird.
Yep. Though I've personally never really had to deal with it, even though I've lived in the US my whole life. I don't think I've ever even seen a gun except on a cop's belt. I think I would feel a bit uncomfortable if I saw that someone had a gun, but I would never attack someone, for pete's sake. I'm perfectly aware of the law in my state.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brewmama

Senior Veteran
Dec 14, 2002
Colorado
Visit site
✟27,718.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then by all means lik to the threads where there has been "a lot about it".

Sorry, I meant in the news. This is not my main source of info. But what exactly do you think we should talk about?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0