Which televised Preachers are okay to watch?

P

PraiseHimFirst

I am weary of televised Preachers because I'm always afraid they might be false prophets. Also, having a small understanding of the Bible myself, I know I wouldn't always be able to know if what they are telling me is all true according to scripture. Which ones do you all watch? I have seen Benny Hinn, Creflo Dollar, Paula White, Joel Osteen, etc. but I don't know who to trust..​

hazeleyes80

Contributor
Aug 19, 2004
South Carolina
✟15,051.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Charles Stanley is my favorite to watch on television. He is Southern Baptist and the senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Atlanta. His ministry is called "In Touch."

If you're into podcasts, Dr. John Munro of Calvary Church in Charlotte, NC is great. His preaching is spot-on and not sugar-coated. He has a Scottish accent but IMO, he's very easy to understand. I should mention that I have actually been to that church several times with my SIL and her family. It really seems like a solid church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, that's not judgmental at all! Did you know everything there was to know about the Bible as soon as you were saved? I doubt you know everything there is to know now..no one does.

I was only asking a non-rhetorical question. I didn't mean it to be judgmental at all! Where did I say everything?

I think Christ had something to say about TV preachers in Matthew 15 ^_^

13 He replied, “Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave them; they are blind guides.[d] If the blind lead the blind, both will fall into a pit.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

Spirko

if you have a small understanding of the Bible I'd suggest taking the time you'd spend on watching TV preachers and devote it to the study of Scripture. How can one say they know God and don't know Scripture?

Easily.

There are many reasons a Christian might not know scripture.

1. They may be a new believer and are just starting to learn the scriptures.

2. They may have not realized how important a deeper understanding of the scriptures are, but recently gained a desire for the meat of God's Word. That's what happened to me for the first couple of years of my walk with Christ

3. They may want to study the scriptures, but are intimidated and don't know where to begin.

4. They may be in a church that does not emphasize the importance of the study of the scriptures.

Not knowing the scriptures isn't an indication of the validity of one's relationship with Christ. Everybody is at a different place in their walk with Christ.

Upvote 0
S

Spirko

Wow, that's not judgmental at all! Did you know everything there was to know about the Bible as soon as you were saved? I doubt you know everything there is to know now..no one does.

Yeah, that was an unfortunate thing for him to say, but in my experience with him, he's a pretty good guy so maybe he just misspoke.

I think the important thing is that you do have a desire for God's Word now.

The four people you mentioned in your OP are not good. They're all heretics.

Typically (and this isn't axiomatic, it's just my observation), preachers on TV tend to be more along the Word of Faith or charismatic type (both of which I would strongly suggest you stay away from) because those things appeal to the visual and to the senses. Those who are more solid Bible teachers tend to gravitate toward radio and podcasts because those things are geared more toward the intellect.

You also want to decide whether you're looking for preachers or teachers. Both are good, but they're not the same thing.

For instance, Adrian Rogers is a fantastic preacher and I would highly recommend him, but he's not a very good teacher, whereas John MacArthur is a terrific teacher, but not a great preacher.

The difference is that preachers convey concepts, while teachers are more detail oriented and fill in the details of those concepts. Like I said, both are good, they're just not the same thing.

If it were me, I would recommend guys like Voddie Baucham (not only a great Bible teacher, but also very entertaining), Russell Moore (incidentally, Russell Moore always sounds like he's rambling and talking about everything but the topic, but if you just bear with him, he ties it all together and is very good), RC Sproul (not only a great Bible teacher, but also Alice Cooper's pastor), J. Vernon Magee, John MacArthur, Mike Abendroth, etc. Matt Chandler is also pretty good, although I don't always agree with the way he goes about some things.

There are also some good talk shows that discuss Biblical issues as they relate to doctrine and to current events, such as Wretched Radio, The White Horse Inn, Fighting For the Faith, No Compromise Radio, etc.

Finally, there's a website called sermonaudio.com that has literally tens of thousands of sermons arranged by speaker, subject, verse, etc. It's pretty awesome and they post many of the sermons on itunes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
^^^I do apologize...I didn't mean it to sound judgmental at all :sorry:

Easily.

There are many reasons a Christian might not know scripture.

1. They may be a new believer and are just starting to learn the scriptures.

2. They may have not realized how important a deeper understanding of the scriptures are, but recently gained a desire for the meat of God's Word. That's what happened to me for the first couple of years of my walk with Christ

3. They may want to study the scriptures, but are intimidated and don't know where to begin.

4. They may be in a church that does not emphasize the importance of the study of the scriptures.

Not knowing the scriptures isn't an indication of the validity of one's relationship with Christ. Everybody is at a different place in their walk with Christ.

1. Do new believers know God? If so, how?

2. If they have just gained desire do they know God? If so, how?

3. Genesis 1 is a great starting point, who starts any book in the middle?

4. Find a new church.

I agree, it is an indication of one's knowledge of God. God will reveal Himself as He sees fit. Thankfully, we have the Bible to give us, in intricate detail, human interactions with God and an understanding of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

Spirko

^^^I do apologize...I didn't mean it to sound judgmental at all :sorry:

1. Do new believers know God? If so, how?

By the Holy Spirit.

2. If they have just gained desire do they know God? If so, how?

By the Holy Spirit.

3. Genesis 1 is a great starting point, who starts any book in the middle?

I wouldn't start with Genesis one because the Bible wasn't meant to be read from beginning to end in order, like a novel. I would recommend starting with Romans, which explains our relationship with God, both pre and post regeneration, how we are saved and why we need to be saved.

I always start with the big concepts first and then fill in the details later.

4. Find a new church.

Maybe. But the issue is with the individual, not with the church.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

I know.. I have a great church and a wonderful Preacher, I just want something to watch at home, too.

My personal opinion is that TV preachers are selling a product that is designed to divert people away from a functional church. Therefore, I would say that by their nature they are false teachers. However, I would suggest that there are many great pastors who make their regular Sunday sermons available for download as a convenience to their congregations. You might check some of these out.

But, I would propose a better idea is to get plugged in to a small group or Sunday School class, find ways to serve your local church, and become fully connected with your local church. in addition, go the source, which is the Bible and study it directly. I really don't think that TV preachers have anything to offer you that isn't garbage.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
By the Holy Spirit.

By the Holy Spirit.

I wouldn't start with Genesis one because the Bible wasn't meant to be read from beginning to end in order, like a novel. I would recommend starting with Romans, which explains our relationship with God, both pre and post regeneration, how we are saved and why we need to be saved.

I always start with the big concepts first and then fill in the details later.

Maybe. But the issue is with the individual, not with the church.

If a person has received the Holy Spirit, and then asks for knowledge, do you think they would be led to their TV or a Bible or would it be epiphanous?

The Bible wasn't meant to be read from page 1 on? Why and how so? Genesis explains the beginning, which is a great place to start if you have a solid foundation. Both times I have read the Bible (still in the OT on the 2nd pass right now) I always started in Exodus though...because I struggle greatly in Genesis.

Upvote 0
S

Spirko

If a person has received the Holy Spirit, and then asks for knowledge, do you think they would be led to their TV or a Bible or would it be epiphanous?

That's up to God to decide. The Bible is God's primary way of communicating His Word to us, but that same Bible also says that it is God who has given us preachers and teachers so that we may better know His Word.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That's up to God to decide. The Bible is God's primary way of communicating His Word to us, but that same Bible also says that it is God who has given us preachers and teachers so that we may better know His Word.

Right on...totally agree. :)

Upvote 0