✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have you read the new book "Which Bible Would Jesus Use"
It's pretty good; lays out subject like were was the bible before 1611?
Why there is only one bible.
Dirty secrets of versions
Showing for over 400 years the King James Bible has never been changed.
And many other controversies the conintelpro has thrown at God's word.
I gave it 98% agreeable. But 100% King James Bible.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

100% idolatry.

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus used the bible (actually scrolls) that was current and understandable in his era: the Hebrew Bible (known today as the Old Testament). More accurately it was the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the ancient Hebrew and Aramaic. What he didn't use was a version of God's word that was written in an archaic language that required a third mental "translation" into the current language of his day.

We shouldn't do that either. For example, Jesus said "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 19:14, KJV) Why would Jesus want little children to suffer?? No person in their right mind wants children to suffer!

But wait, you might say, "suffer" does mean that at all, it means "allow" in modern English, so the phrase means "allow little children to come to me". So why not use a translation that means exactly what it says rather than the King James version? This additional translation into the English that we all read, hear, speak, and understand (or whatever language is closest to the person's native language) is not the best way to go.
As an example, your signature says "For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent." Would you translate that for me please? I'm quite certain that the result will be quite different from what modern translations have, and I trust their scholarship over your subjective interpretation.

God is not the author of confusion. I would much rather trust teams of scholars that have the best knowledge of the ancient languages and the best knowledge of contemporary English (thought and language) than to adhere to a translation that is 400+ years old and requires additional translation by the modern reader who is neither trained nor equipped to do so.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Jesus used the bible (actually scrolls) that was current and understandable in his era: the Hebrew Bible (known today as the Old Testament). More accurately it was the Septuagint, the Greek translation of the ancient Hebrew and Aramaic. What he didn't use was a version of God's word that was written in an archaic language that required a third mental "translation" into the current language of his day.

We shouldn't do that either. For example, Jesus said "Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 19:14, KJV) Why would Jesus want little children to suffer?? No person in their right mind wants children to suffer!

But wait, you might say, "suffer" does mean that at all, it means "allow" in modern English, so the phrase means "allow little children to come to me". So why not use a translation that means exactly what it says rather than the King James version? This additional translation into the English that we all read, hear, speak, and understand (or whatever language is closest to the person's native language) is not the best way to go.
As an example, your signature says "For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent." Would you translate that for me please? I'm quite certain that the result will be quite different from what modern translations have, and I trust their scholarship over your subjective interpretation.

God is not the author of confusion. I would much rather trust teams of scholars that have the best knowledge of the ancient languages and the best knowledge of contemporary English (thought and language) than to adhere to a translation that is 400+ years old and requires additional translation by the modern reader who is neither trained nor equipped to do so.

I agree 100% with what you have said.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

So true. The goal of every translator (and those who commissioned them), including King James, was so the Church could read the scriptures in their own language. King James himself would not understand us when we speak and would probably wonder why some people use his translation when newer ones are so readily available.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As Bryan implied earlier people seem to make an idol of the Authorized Version, a.k.a. the King James, as though God decided in 1611 that he was going to once-and-for-all give his final, authoritative word to men, in English no less. The very idea is nonsense. The version was authorized by King James for political purposes! He had a political agenda and wanted the "official" bible to bolster the idea of an infallible sovereign: the divine right of kings.

One of the worst things he did was remove the wonderful instructive footnotes of the Geneva Bible which allowed those who obtained them to understand scripture for themselves without the king's clergy telling them what it meant. (BTW, I highly recommend buying a copy of the Geneva Bible.)

Jesus is Lord! The Jews have exalted the Torah for thousands of years and it has gotten us (I was born a Jew) nowhere. John wrote that "the Word became flesh". (Think a while about that!) All translations have their good points and their weaknesses but if they're not leading us to Christ but to their own merits then they aren't doing what God wants them to do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

Andrea411

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a hard time believing:

1) Jesus would *need* a bible
2) Jesus would address us [English-speaking people] with "thee's" and "thou's" - in a language and manner English-speaking people haven't used in over 4 centuries.

I find it interesting that someone like the author would go to such lengths, so far as to write an entire book justifying a personal bias, why he thinks the KJV is the only "accurate" version of the bible that exists, how 17th century scholars can be the only scholars to "get it right."

One doesn't need to read such a book to realize its premise is flawed at the outset; and if the premise is flawed, the conclusions upon which they are drawn are necessarily flawed too.

Moreover, to draw on the Lord's name, to assert that The Lord must acquiesce to one's personal bias and sanction one's opinion about which is the "proper" version of the bible is imho a form of hubris unlike few others.

And God have mercy on us all who don't speak the King's English.

Upvote 0

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No the KJVO argument is over - there are a few hardcore people that won't listen to common sense but very few. Here's a book that closes the argument.

The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations?: James R. White, Mike Baird: 9780764206054: Amazon.com: Books

The original scriptures were not in English... sorry your argument can only fly in English speaking countries. More silliness.

You have no proof the original scripture (the end of the sixth day) was not in the pure language found in the King James, that is just your assumption.

And again maybe thing about this scripture:

Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

You have no proof the original scripture (the end of the sixth day) was not in the pure language found in the King James, that is just your assumption.

And again maybe thing about this scripture:

Matthew 7:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

I have no proof the original scriptures weren't in the King James English???... is beyond even needing an answer. It would suggest you need professional help. maybe a good theologian, pastor, counselor.

Jesus is the Word... the Word is not print on a page - that is idolatry... worship in Spirit and in truth...

God bless, andrea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I have no proof the original scriptures weren't in the King James English???... is beyond even needing an answer. It would suggest you need professional help. maybe a good theologian, pastor, counselor.

Jesus is the Word... the Word is not print on a page - that is idolatry... worship in Spirit and in truth...

God bless, andrea

First of all you misquoted me; and since you can't follow the thought line there is no need to expound it to you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Maybe a basic encyclopedia, too?

Upvote 0
A

Andrea411

First of all you misquoted me; and since you can't follow the thought line there is no need to expound it to you.

I used the quote button?? Anyone can see exactly what you said. We don't know why you said it how you reasoned it but maybe we're the ones with the problem.

I suggest reading someone with an unbiased perspective. The book you recommended is by two people with extreme bias.
Just think, no one ever says you cannot use the KJV. You're the one who is being the extremist. The information you gave is nothing new, its been argued over and we are not convinced. The KJVO people are considered a little off the wall for a reason. They are not using good judgment or does it make common sense. The KJV does not work for the very people who wrote the scriptures. Or for the French, normal English speaking people or non-English speaking people. its bizarre to think the English version has something special about it

Jesus does need the written word, He is the Word.

Upvote 0

JacobLaw

Mar 1, 2014
Peoa, Utah
✟16,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I used the quote button?? Anyone can see exactly what you said. We don't know why you said it how you reasoned it but maybe we're the ones with the problem.

I suggest reading someone with an unbiased perspective. The book you recommended is by two people with extreme bias.
Just think, no one ever says you cannot use the KJV. You're the one who is being the extremist. The information you gave is nothing new, its been argued over and we are not convinced. The KJVO people are considered a little off the wall for a reason. They are not using good judgment or does it make common sense. The KJV does not work for the very people who wrote the scriptures. Or for the French, normal English speaking people or non-English speaking people. its bizarre to think the English version has something special about it

Jesus does need the written word, He is the Word.

Jesus gave what was given to him to give nothing more; and he used the scriptures always.
I'm sorry your statement is ignoring the fact you misquoted me and you can understand my speech because you can't hear my words.
And until you start following the thought line you never will.

Upvote 0