Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus knew scripture. Most Jews rejected his teachings.

No, most of the Jewish leadership rejected Jesus' teachings (because it conflicted with what they already believed). Many thousands of Jews not only accepted Jesus' teachings but followed him all over the territory of Judah and beyond.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no question that many Jews have been turned off by the co-opting of the church and scripture by the Gentiles. By listening to what is said in many churches it's hard to recognize that 1) Jesus was a Jew, 2) Jesus followed the law of Moses, 3) Jesus taught in synagogues, 4) James, Peter, John, Matthew, Mark, Paul, and others were all Jews, 5) the bible in use at the time was the Hebrew Bible only (there was no New Testament, 6) all the feasts that were observed were Jewish, etc.

Romans 11 says in part "If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. [emphasis mine, of course]

The gospel is preached relevant to each culture, but it's very unfortunate that so many have forgotten that the Jews only were the founders of the early church, and that the entire bible (with the possible exception of Luke) -- every single word of it -- was written by Jews, and when the Word became flesh, he was a 100% Jew.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is no question that many Jews have been turned off by the co-opting of the church and scripture by the Gentiles. By listening to what is said in many churches it's hard to recognize that 1) Jesus was a Jew, 2) Jesus followed the law of Moses, 3) Jesus taught in synagogues, James, Peter, John, Matthew, Mark, Paul, and others were all Jews, 4) the bible in use at the time was the Hebrew Bible only (there was no New Testament, 5) all the feasts that were observed were Jewish, etc.

Romans 11 says in part "If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root, do not consider yourself to be superior to those other branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you. You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.” Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but tremble. For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. [emphasis mine, of course]

The gospel is preached relevant to each culture, but it's very unfortunate that so many have forgotten that the Jews only were the founders of the early church, and that the entire bible (with the possible exception of Luke -- every single word of it -- was written by Jews, and when the Word became flesh, he was a 100% Jew.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, most of the Jewish leadership rejected Jesus' teachings (because it conflicted with what they already believed). Many thousands of Jews not only accepted Jesus' teachings but followed him all over the territory of Judah and beyond.

Hi pescador,

I'm not sure we can say, with any certianty, that many 'thousands' accepted the message of their Meshiach. There is actually one account that many of those who were following Jesus, as you describe, did turn away when the teaching got tough. Even to the point that Jesus seems to have asked his closest disciples if they were going to turn away also.

So, I do agree that some in Israel did believe that Jesus was who he claimed to be, but I'd be careful about putting some number to it. The Scriptures don't seem to support any great crowd of witnesses that were with him pleading on his behalf when he was being led to Golgotha. Personally, I'd be more inclined to believe that there were likely a few hundred.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: EdwinWillers
Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Many thousands did accept his message. But, many, many thousands did not. Note that I did say "most", and not "all".

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Have you read the new book "Which Bible Would Jesus Use"
It's pretty good; lays out subject like were was the bible before 1611?
Why there is only one bible.
Dirty secrets of versions
Showing for over 400 years the King James Bible has never been changed.
And many other controversies the conintelpro has thrown at God's word.
I gave it 98% agreeable. But 100% King James Bible.

I think all versions other than the original Greek, Hebrew or Aramaic are flawed. In spite of that, they are all the Word of God that He has said He 'will exalt even above His name'. For those that are outright frauds, such as a recent Islam friendly version, with many mentions of Jesus missing, they will be rejected by the discerning as false doctrine.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about me", yet you refuse to come to me to have life".

John 5:39-40
NIV
/thread

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am. Because the faith of many has been destroyed by a lack of trust in the scriptures.

...because, their teachers have lied to them, not because Scripture is unfaithful. Yhvh is always Faithful. man falls down. man lies to man. men lie to men. the wolves were ready to tear the flock apart already, paul wrote; and they did as soon as paul departed. the result was christianity became a state religion, instead of people meeting together in Yeshua HaMashiach by faith.
the leaders/ teachers have lied about it ever since. a cover. a lie. a deception. and it still corrupts people all over the world for the last 2000 years. it still deceives most people on earth. it cannot help people, but it says it can. it cannot save people, but it says no one is saved if they aren't a member. total untruth. total, complete deception.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radicalmonk

39 yrs "young&a mp;qu ot; in Chri
Sep 29, 2014
West shore of MI on Lake MI.
✟7,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus IS the Word made flesh, resurrected. He wouldn't need to use any Original or translation written by man. I am content with the translation I use. If you don't like it, stand in line with others who are stuck in the mud with an obsession for the legalistic perspective. Please read Ro ch 14 and the first part of 15 and see just how legalistic and following the letter of the law we are expected to be. I can do something that is a sin for you but God could regard it as an acceptable act of worship from me. Please try to see that Christianity is about relationships and NOT about who is right or wrong.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus IS the Word made flesh, resurrected. He wouldn't need to use any Original or translation written by man. I am content with the translation I use. If you don't like it, stand in line with others who are stuck in the mud with an obsession for the legalistic perspective. Please read Ro ch 14 and the first part of 15 and see just how legalistic and following the letter of the law we are expected to be. I can do something that is a sin for you but God could regard it as an acceptable act of worship from me. Please try to see that Christianity is about relationships and NOT about who is right or wrong.

He might not need to read scripture, but he did in Luke chapter 4.

16He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. He stood up to read, 17and the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written:

Upvote 0

Radicalmonk

39 yrs "young&a mp;qu ot; in Chri
Sep 29, 2014
West shore of MI on Lake MI.
✟7,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, that was before His appointed time on the cross and resurrection. During His ministry with us humans He concealed His identity and even fled to avoid being apprehended many times when He deemed it necessary before the appointed time.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
several times in Scripture it is written that Yeshua did nothing of Himself. rather, as He always, as He always taught His disciples and all who follow Him,
Yeshua did what He saw the Father doing. Yeshua did what the Father showed Him to do. very very specifically, and especially explicitly. (unheard of, untaught, unknown in most denominations).

i.e. whether He deemed something necessary or not was not the criteria. He probably 'knew' but that wasn't the criteria. He did what the Father told Him to do.
simply.
people in the usa are so untrained (in right living), so unknowing (of Yhvh's Way),
this sound 'impossible'. and, as Yeshua told His disciples, it is. it is also necessary for any who want to follow Him in Life now and in eternity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums