Where in the NEW TESTAMENT does it say being gay is a sin?

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Tremble I just think that you have been so great and understanding in your responses. You have made me understand things that I have been struggling with for years. I can get a little emotional and respond accordingly- meaning in a childish and unproductive way- yet you always come back with such a knowledgeable and kind response. You have brought so much clarity, reason and understanding and I hope to hear from you in the future.
THANK YOU AND BLESS YOU!!!

Hey thanks for that Stacey. I think it'd be great if we could get some really positive discussion going about solutions. As the saying goes, if we're not part of the solution then we are part of the problem.

We need to accept when a particular solution is no longer working, or at least accept the flaws in a particular solution. It may have worked in the past, or it may still work in some individual cases now, but these days just throwing Bible verses at gays in general is not working. I don't think that means we glibly say, "well then off to hell you go" anymore than we'd want God to say that about us when we stubbornly continue to be proud, greedy, self righteous, lazy, impatient, despite knowing the Bible verses telling us not to be.

It's similar to the story of the woman caught in adultery. Replace her with a lesbian or gay man and the lesson is still the same. We need more than just feeling right that we've managed to successfully point out the sin of another, even if "the bible says so".

Legal battles don't seem to be producing much good fruit, either. If there was evidence that it was causing homosexuals to think twice about their life choices, then I'd feel differently. As it is now, Christians have become synonymous as fighters, ready to jump into any brawl when they feel offended.

I get it that we need to be prepared to "fight the good fight", but did Jesus really want us to enforce the values of Heaven by dragging our offenders in to worldly court? There may be a time and place for it but I think it becomes spiritually confusing for our witness to the world when we try to control morality using worldly means.

So, any ideas for alternatives to court or Bible thumping, to get homosexuals hearing what God wants them to hear? Remember, I'm not saying we should abandon those methods altogether, but just that it'd be good to discuss alternatives, too

Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Read your scriptures better, look since America began legalizing Gay marriage, the economy has been sinking America is not with a debt of 17 trillion dollars.

2012 was a big year for gay agenda in NY, interestingly that year they had Sandy hurricane, go to youtube and watch the vision of David Wilkerson 1973.

If you tolerate gays, that means you are spiritually dead and do not know the scriptures, and you will end up in hell if you do not repent

The current recession had nothign to do with gay mariage man, look at economic policy for the answer there. The housing bubble collapse that set it off and mortgage crisis that held in for so long (and now inflation and bad policy still leading a slow recovery) had NOTHING to do with marriage of any kind, gay or not.

And I think you are looking for 2011 being the big year for NY gay rights (July of 2011 was when they legalized gay marriage) - Sandy did not hit until Oct of 2012. So..God waited over a year to give judgment. Interesting.Why wait when He could have used the 2011 hurricane season and made it more obvious? Or maybe even have one hit outside of season. Then it really would have been apparent.

To me, it seems He cares far less than you do, if He didn't just do it and show people His "wrath" instead of waiting until it was apparent to know one at all...

And I agree with what has been said - you need to define "tolerate" here. Do you mean if you simply allow gays to live you are spiritaully dead? Or that if you befriend them you are spiritually dead? Or that if you feel a secular government should not hinder freedoms of people you are spiritually dead?
And how are you spiritually dead if you "tolerate" them? Where is the scripture to back that claim up?

Upvote 0

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What??

I'm 51 years old and the use of peer pressure doesn't work on me anymore. You can't give me some teenage logic: "if you don't agree with MEEEE, then you're a HATERRRRRR!" and expect me to change what I know to be true.

that is so funny! and true. It's happened to me. I'm older than you but for several decades now that's been my position. I usually say something like 'I've raised 4 kids - 2 sets of 2 teenagers at a time. You don't scare me!'

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
that is so funny! and true. It's happened to me. I'm older than you but for several decades now that's been my position. I usually say something like 'I've raised 4 kids - 2 sets of 2 teenagers at a time. You don't scare me!'

You are so funny! And so true.

Upvote 0

The Scapegoat

Aug 25, 2016
St. Louis, Missouri
✟145.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is being gay a sin in the New Testament? I seem to recall a few verses in the gospels but can't remember and I don't have time to read the whole thing. And why should it be any different than any other sin? Are we going to ban gluttony? Anger? Jealousy? I'm sick o so called Christians attacking gays.
My nephew is gay and I love him dearly. I am having a very hard time withy faith lately and am questioning everything I know about Christianity.
I am angry at God because of all the recent loss I have suffered. I have been forsaken to say the least. John 3:16 says that I only have to believe in Jesus and I will have eternal life. Yes I believe. But I am done with the hypocrisy that surrounds me at church.
Please respond. I cannot be the only Christian supporting gays.
There are no different category levels of sin, sin is sin. But, are we to show everyone love (fruit of the Spirit, second commandment), yes.
Second point: "having a hard time lately". Don't let what's going on among "Christians" and the world, shake your faith. Do question everything "you" know about Christianity. This is good in respect to comparing it to God's word. We are asked to renew our minds for a reason. "Renew", take away the old, and replace it with the "new". God does not build on the old foundation. Hide the word of God in your heart daily, seek understanding, rely on Christ as the Teacher. Man's way are not God's ways, nor our thoughts, His thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8)
Third point: "Hypocrisy". Yes, unfortunately there is. But, what does that have to do with YOUR relationship, YOUR understanding, and the knowledge of God? Not all "christians" are Christian. Not all have come to the full revelation of Jesus Christ. Some are still carnally minded (see 1 Cor.3). It's an individual walk. "So walk in Him." (see Col. 2)

Fourth point: We are not to judge the world. This is God's job. But, we are to judge what goes on amongst the Body of Christ. Paul says in addressing sin in the church, "For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside (meaning in the world)? Do you not judge those on the inside? But those who are outside God judges". 1 Cor. 5:12,13

"By this ALL will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35 Love comes before words of witness. The present church is failing in love. How can the world know that Christ is real in us, without love. Christ died for us while we were yet sinners. Compassion, mercy, grace. Did we deserve it?...no. Does the world deserve it? Good question,....do they? ALL have sinned and fallen short. Do we expect the world to "shapeup" first before we can love them? If so, then God was totally out of His mind sending Christ to us, not having any guarantee that we would return His love.

My dear, not all "Christians" have a full understanding of Jesus Christ, the knowledge of who God is, nor rely on the Holy Spirit as Helper and guide. Read all of the Gospel of John. Seek God's face and ask for understanding. He loves you dear, He is you Father, the giver of all good things. "So walk in Him."...no matter what you see around you.
Love from one who knows.

Reactions: hhodgson
Upvote 0