Where in the NEW TESTAMENT does it say being gay is a sin?

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And I am sure you have sin that I hate as well. I am not gay-- far from it. But I cannot stand judgemental homophobes. Hypocrites-- you know what I am saying? Why do you hate gays so much but not other sinners, like drunks, for instance?

I think you are taking the attitudes of some Christians and applying it to everybody and that is not right. I do not hate gays. But if the bible condemns an action and I point it out am I being a judgemental homophobe?

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said, "take the speck out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly on how to take the beam out of your brother's eye". (Matthew 7:5) But, is this the kind of fair judgement that homosexuals are getting from the average Christian? Are they being lectured by Christians who have dealt with (or are at least trying to deal with) their own specks and therefore will see clearly on how to deal with homosexuality in a fair way?

Bryan made some comments relating to this, earlier, and a few other Christians agreed with him. Consider some evidence and as you do, ask yourself if you would want to be judged by this same court...

Do we have Gluttony Pride parades?

Gluttony is paraded all across the US. See http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/most-insane-restaurant-food-challenges and http://www.buzzfeed.com/spenceralthouse/most-insane-restaurant-food-challenges

From a study released by the USDA in February:
"In the United States, 31 percent—or 133 billion pounds—of the 430 billion pounds of the available food supply at the retail and consumer levels in 2010 went uneaten. The estimated value of this food loss was $161.6 billion using retail prices...""In the United States, 31 percent—or 133 billion pounds—of the 430 billion pounds of the available food supply at the retail and consumer levels in 2010 went uneaten. The estimated value of this food loss was $161.6 billion using retail prices. - See more at: SoSA | Food Waste in America
"In the United States, 31 percent—or 133 billion pounds—of the 430 billion pounds of the available food supply at the retail and consumer levels in 2010 went uneaten. The estimated value of this food loss was $161.6 billion using retail prices. - See more at: SoSA | Food Waste in America
"In the United States, 31 percent—or 133 billion pounds—of the 430 billion pounds of the available food supply at the retail and consumer levels in 2010 went uneaten. The estimated value of this food loss was $161.6 billion using retail prices. - See more at: SoSA | Food Waste in America

Anger Pride parades?

I don't think anger itself is a sin (Eph 4: 26), but I think you are talking about hateful anger.
Google is your friend; I found over 9 million results in less than a second.
Uncontrollable anger prevalent among U.S. youth: Almost two-thirds have history of anger attacks -- ScienceDaily
The statistics about anger leave no doubt that things need to change

Yes, there is a very serious problem. Look at Hollywood, video games, and several popular genre of music. Vengeance, murder, and hate are a huge part of the average person's entertainment consumerism. Hateful anger is paraded (and sold as a business, mind you) far more than gay pride.

Jealousy Pride parades?

I'm not sure that jealousy is a particularly good example of sin, since God is described as jealous. You are probably thinking of envy. This is what wiki says about envy:

Envy (from Latin invidia) is an emotion which "occurs when a person lacks another's superior quality, achievement, or possession and either desires it or wishes that the other lacked it.

It's greed; plain and simple. If there is one thing America flaunts, it's her luxurious standard of living. In fact, it's paraded so much so that it's difficult for much of the world to get away from it...
A collection of statistics regarding the developing world. - STWR - Share The World's Resources

How can we judge homosexuals, when we claim these other issues are not a problem? What do they see when we are so casual about our sins being no big deal?

Do they see people who are willing to judge themselves as much as they judge others? Do they see people who really do want what's best for them and will carefully consider all the variable in an attempt to be as fair as possible?

There are many homosexuals who feel genuine, real love for their partners, as real as the feelings that heterosexuals can feel for one another. They are still human after all.

Have we really considered what it must be like for them, to be told that they can no longer have those feelings anymore, especially if they are already in a committed relationship? Or is it just, "The bible says so...and that's that!".

Remember that we will be judged in the same way that we judged others. By all means, let us speak the truth about the act of homosexuality being wrong, but let us be fair and loving about it, too.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Do we have Gluttony Pride parades? Anger Pride parades? Jealousy Pride parades? Do gluttons and angry people have special bumper stickers for their cars?

It isn't just about the sin. It's about how the sinners view their sin and demand that others accept it that is the problem for the church.

A word on "attacks". My pastor preached a great sermon on pride today. It should have convicted just about everyone in the church, but it was not an "attack". Are you able to see the distinction?

Look around; we kinda do have "parades and bumper stickers" for all these things, and more so the results of these do receive a sort of glorification in our culture.

Upvote 0

PopesFollower

Jun 1, 2014
Western United States
✟295.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said, "take the speck out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly on how to take the beam out of your brother's eye". (Matthew 7:5).......... .

So what. Does that mean that we, as sinners, cannot point at rapists and call them a "Rapist", or point at murderers and call them "Murderers"?

Homosexual sex is a grave sin and abomination. If we as sinners cannot identify and point to grievous sins - not for the purpose of judging but for the purpose of helping - then how the heck are we supposed to help our fellow man?

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So what. Does that mean that we, as sinners, cannot point at rapists and call them a "Rapist", or point at murderers and call them "Murderers"?

Slow down, PF. Reread the sentence again and when you get to the word "then" pay very careful attention. ^.^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
It is both sad and shocking that we have actually gotten to the point in our society where these questions even need to be asked. OF COURSE homosexual activity is an abomination and a sin. Good grief!
Absolutely!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Look around; we kinda do have "parades and bumper stickers" for all these things, and more so the results of these do receive a sort of glorification in our culture.

You're right. I see the "Keep honking, I'm reloading" stickers and other "angry driver" type stickers on cars. So, if they turned that into a ribbon that could be easily and identifiably worn on clothing to signify "Uncontrollably Angry and Proud Of It!", would you want that person to be your pastor?

If he was so proud of his adultery that he flaunted it with a special tie or lapel pin telling the world, "Adulterer and Proud Of It!", would you want him as your pastor?

Let me remind you that I believe that gays are as worthy of God's grace as anyone else. They should have a place in the pews of our churches just like all the other sinners. But their sin should not be glorified, accepted as normal, or extoled as a virtue.

They should not be clergy and we should not have to redefine marriage to suit their needs. They can get civil unions and legal contracts that carry the full weight of marriage in the eyes of the law.

Upvote 0

psalms 91

Legend
Dec 27, 2004
✟127,276.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
You're right. I see the "Keep honking, I'm reloading" stickers and other "angry driver" type stickers on cars. So, if they turned that into a ribbon that could be easily and identifiably worn on clothing to signify "Uncontrollably Angry and Proud Of It!", would you want that person to be your pastor?

If he was so proud of his adultery that he flaunted it with a special tie or lapel pin telling the world, "Adulterer and Proud Of It!", would you want him as your pastor?

Let me remind you that I believe that gays are as worthy of God's grace as anyone else. They should have a place in the pews of our churches just like all the other sinners. But their sin should not be glorified, accepted as normal, or extoled as a virtue.

They should not be clergy and we should not have to redefine marriage to suit their needs. They can get civil unions and legal contracts that carry the full weight of marriage in the eyes of the law.
Very eloquently stated and so true in every sense

Upvote 0

staceylee67

Mar 14, 2013
Pacific Northwest
✟7,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
OK Jaded and Corrupt--RE: michaelmynameIs comment "what if my adult nephew is consistently committing adultery ...i still love the person and he happens to be your husband.....
.........-that still ok with you?"
I did misunderstand. But YES, it is still OK with me that you LOVE YOUR NEPHEW-- But if your nephew is MY husband and is cheating on ME breaking OUR vows to EACH OTHER-- I will divorce him, AND most likely always love him. SO half that response still applies. I will not hold up banners that say "GOD HATES ADULTERERS" etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I will not hold up banners that say "GOD HATES ADULTERERS" etc.

And no one here (from what I've read) is saying that they'd hold up banners saying "GOD HATES GAYS". Don't get any of us mixed up with the Westboro Baptist Church!

Gays are just people who have fallen victim to an unnatural set of urges to commit a specific type of sin. Then, they listen to the whispered lies of Satan who tells them that it's natural and that those who say otherwise are "attacking" them and are being intolerant.

Satan loves to use the word "tolerance" to force the Children of God to accept sin as normal and non-sin. He knows that we are weak and so desperate to fulfill Christ's commandment to bring the entire world to Him that we'll even listen to Satan's lies when he promises that the key to bringing the world to Christ is to accept all sins. The effects of his lies to the churches is found in Revelation 2-3.

Reactions: davidcrosby
Upvote 0

staceylee67

Mar 14, 2013
Pacific Northwest
✟7,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Way to go-- SEEINGEYES-- you are exactly my problem with "religion". Why don't YOU read your bible-- many people of the bible have questioned their faith. Many pastors have questioned their faith. A TRUE Christian would do as some others have done here---- you don't have to agree with my statements/ questions but many here have offered a kind word and a "bless you".
IF you are a true Christian you should be there to HELP strugglers rather than PUSH THEM AWAY.

Upvote 0
T

theophilus777

OK Jaded and Corrupt--RE: michaelmynameIs comment "what if my adult nephew is consistently committing adultery ...i still love the person and he happens to be your husband.....
.........-that still ok with you?"
I did misunderstand. But YES, it is still OK with me that you LOVE YOUR NEPHEW-- But if your nephew is MY husband and is cheating on ME breaking OUR vows to EACH OTHER-- I will divorce him, AND most likely always love him. SO half that response still applies. I will not hold up banners that say "GOD HATES ADULTERERS" etc.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

staceylee67

Mar 14, 2013
Pacific Northwest
✟7,874.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
More to the point. Why do some people HATE homosexuals so much, yet let their own sin go by? Many here have touched on that, and I am thankful for the understanding that yes it is a sin but it is not for us to judge.
To the others here who are full of hate-- please look at your own sin and ask yourself, "If all sin is equal, why do I hate homosexuals more than drunks, petty theives, people with envy, people who say G*d damn, athiests, people who worship many gods, prostitutes, [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], adulterers, etc?

Upvote 0
T

theophilus777

Myself, I experience much more angst over those who profusely use the Lord's Name in vain. Your question needs to be looked at in a chicken and the egg kind of way; which came first, gay pride parades and such being shoved down our throats, or any convictions being formed by those still alive? And almost without exception, the answer will be the former. Look at the current legal battles and you will see they brought the opposition upon themselves. In fact, most of the people being swayed to go along with SSM do believe its wrong, but they also want to extend civil rights to homosexuals. (To such an extent they will violate their own conscience, which is a problem of its own)

Upvote 0