Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I am in a postion where I could be losing my job in a little bit. I have some decisions to make about what I want to do and where I want to go. Since I am fairly young and single, if I want to move from where I live or change careers, now is probably a good time to do so. So I thought maybe some of you could share what you do for a living. Do you like it, would you change if you could and if you could change, what would you change to? Who knows, maybe something will inspire me and help me find my way!!! :)

2Timothy2

Rangers Lead the Way
Aug 20, 2004
Texas
✟3,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Don't think I'll inspire you. But, I'm getting out of construction, as I need to find a night time job so I can start school this Spring. I hope to eventually get into research in Physics. Unless the Lord calls me into ministry; seminary appeals to me very much. Of course I'm doing all this a bit later than most.
smile.gif

Upvote 0
K

KeilCoppes

I work as a senior software developer for a major government contractor (senior staff). Lots of software, design, architecture, mentoring, and advising. I'm currently standing in for my absent manager, coordinating and directing the technical efforts of seven engineers (training three of them), and advising system engineering on current and future tasks, while also doing some implementation myself, and helping team members through the integration of a new database.

And I can now make foccacia style bread. :^)

(as an FYI, Joyce Norris Montessori, one of the leading Data Warehousing consultants started as an administrative assistant, working with small databases on the side).

Upvote 0

waterbear

Jul 17, 2004
✟1,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Embedded Software Engineer" for a major aerospace company. Bores me, I plan on working part time and attending grad school sometime in 2005, maybe get a masters in Physics. Since my major areas of interest are theoretical... probably aim for a professorship (at which point I can quit being an engineer :)).

Upvote 0

chickenfeet

Renewed
Dec 20, 2003
Wonder Land
✟467.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
medical assistant.. the clinic i work for is tiny.. low stress. but full of a diverse group of ppl, which i love.. its the hours the suck.. but they work for me atm.

working on getting my associates degree this winter. being a MA is only temporary.. til i finish school. my ultimate goal is to work in a ER as a nurse.

Upvote 0
K

KeilCoppes

waterbear said:
"Embedded Software Engineer" for a major aerospace company. Bores me, I plan on working part time and attending grad school sometime in 2005, maybe get a masters on Physics. Since my major areas of interest are theoretical... probably aim for a professorship (at which point I can quit being an engineer :)).
Too bad it bores you - I really enjoyed it when I worked in an avionics test bed. The Lab Rats (our name for ourselves) had a lot of fun making people's jaws drop. Lots of fun with three axis and six-axis tables, 300VDC 120A power supplies, prototyping launch vehicle systems.... lots of fun toys.

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
Well now that I almost have all my degrees, when I grow up, if I ever decide to, I want to travel the world. I also would like a wonderful husband by my side. I also want to be a successful screenwriter and President of the United States...among other things ;)

Reactions: Macrina
Upvote 0

ChrisB803

Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Visit site
✟8,544.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm endeavoring to prove that one can be successful without a college degree. At present I am interning at a radio station in Portland, OR, trying to work my way into commercial production and voice-over work. I'm just finally starting to get some paid work thrown my way, so check back with me in six months and see what has happened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klewlis

cur tu me vexas?
Jan 27, 2004
Edmonton
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Christian
I just got transfered/promoted so my job has changed within the past week, although the two are closely related. My old one was working in a home with teen girls involved in prostitution. Now I am in a different home, but with adult homeless women (whether that be due to prostitution, addictions, abuse, whatever). I am a case worker which means that I work with a set group of women, helping them do what they need to do in order to overcome their obstacles and get back to a "normal" life. It is amazing work and I love it.

I also work part time in a group home for foster kids, which is also wonderful.

Both jobs are amazing, heartbreaking, wonderful, stretching, difficult, and fantastic. :)

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Do you have to have a degree in Social Work, klewlis, to do what you do?

Sorry, but the software developers and engineers are just way to over my head!! :p You guys make it possible for me to just be able to push a button and have my computer work and that's the way I like it!

Going back to school has possibilities. There are times I think I would enjoy school now more than I did when I actually attend college. I was in too much of a rush to get out and start "real life". I think I could have possibly made a mistake in my career choice. At the time I enjoyed what I did. Now I don't. At one time I considered Psychology. However, a horrible Psych 101 teacher changed that path. Perhaps I should have stuck it out a bit longer....

ChrisB, working for a radio station sounds like fun! Do you get to DJ any?

L4H03-traveling sounds like fun too! Maybe the Travel Channel could use some help. I would definately volunteer to go to Italy. I have dying to go to Tuscany for some time now. Actually, any place in Italy would be fine with me.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, for the first time in my life, I am now doing something that is actually what I wanted to do when I grew up: I am a pastor.

I just finished grad school last spring, and was in the process of accepting a call to my current church when my friends (other grad students, in various fields) gave me a "You're a Grown-Up" party. Everyone came dressed as what they wanted to be when they grew up... or, if they already considered themselves grown up, as an alternate dream. We have professors, farmers, a cook, a Robin Hood, a hockey player... it was fun! :) Of course, I had been preaching that morning, so I was already dressed like a pastor.

Seriously, I love where I am and what I am doing. I have spent all of my adult life working for something, planning for where I'd be some years down the road... and now, for the first time, I am in a place that I don't have to plan where to go next... I don't know if God will call me to be at this church forever, but for right now I have no intention of leaving. I can focus totally on my ministry here... planning for future weeks, months, and years in this same ministry and same spot. I feel like I'm finally doing what I was meant to do.

huh. I guess they call this feeling "contentment." What a novel feeling... :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

klewlis

cur tu me vexas?
Jan 27, 2004
Edmonton
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Christian
wvmtnkid said:
Do you have to have a degree in Social Work, klewlis, to do what you do?

Nope. I don't have a degree in social work. An arts degree is helpful if you're lacking the social work degree. But what got me my first job in the field was simply volunteer experience. I have a ton of that. If you have volunteer experience and are an open, likeable person who won't get judgmental or freak out at people's shocking stories, then you can get a job in my field. :) Degrees are required for certain types of jobs, but not to work in a group home.

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
klewlis said:
I just got transfered/promoted so my job has changed within the past week, although the two are closely related. My old one was working in a home with teen girls involved in prostitution. Now I am in a different home, but with adult homeless women (whether that be due to prostitution, addictions, abuse, whatever). I am a case worker which means that I work with a set group of women, helping them do what they need to do in order to overcome their obstacles and get back to a "normal" life. It is amazing work and I love it.

I also work part time in a group home for foster kids, which is also wonderful.

Both jobs are amazing, heartbreaking, wonderful, stretching, difficult, and fantastic. :)
I'm a social worker too hehe :) Okay, well maybe that isn't your official title but that's what social workers do. That's awesome:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
LionOfJudah said:
when i grow up i want to be the president of the united states, feel free to vote for a Christian leader in 2020 or 2024 when i run ;)
Um, excuse me but I will be running at that time. And, no offense, but I will win ;) So, vote for me :thumbsup:

Upvote 0