Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
LOL Paul. Jesus got angry!
He did,didnt he. At the moneylenders in the synagogue.
I think anger is good if it only lasts for a short time and we get rid of it soon. it's when we hold it in for a long time that it becomes dangerous. It's how we express it too. Not take it out on others. I used to scream when I went for a jog and got rid of it a lot through exercise. Now I pray. It doesn't always work though, I have to admit.
Yet I sometimes read that any anger is bad for you. That any anger is temporary insanity.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I guess anger can hurt us more than anyone else. Anger can lead to bitterness, which is NOT good.

I get angry sometimes, but I can't stay angry for long.

Don't you findthat anger is one of the most painful emotions? I do. I can't stand it. But yet we all do get angry.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Don't you findthat anger is one of the most painful emotions?
Depression is supposed to be suppressed anger or anger turned inward.
It can be quite painful I agree if you feel powerless to stop it. There is a level of frustration with it. If we continue to blame others, it will in fact eat us up. It is worth seeing a counsellor about if it disturbs your sleep and well-being. I haven't reached that stage yet.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I learned that it turns to depression if suppressed.

When I was in my early twenties (I am 68 now ) I used to. Gef t r ed ho t. Anger. It wa s the most painful thing I ever knew and I could not dea l with it or b ear it.

I m ade a decision. At that point never to feel anger again. To remain calm. I mastered that because I needed to.

Nowadays I say I don't do anger, and mostly. i don't, but occasion ally. I get a fl ash of it but then have to let it go.

It never disturbs my sleep.

I guess anger s hows we. A re still a live though! A luve. A nd feeling people. But it can be so d estructive

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've known some angry people in my life. They're not much fun to hang out with. I can get angry, but I'm not a angry person. I used to be when I was younger and listened to a lot of punk rock, but then, as my friend Jonathon Richman says in his song 'Affection',
"I relaxed a little bit".

All I know is that anger in/anger out is a destructive formula. I suspect it's the cause of a lot of the violence we suffer today. I think of Christ and His passion and how it would have gone for us had He followed the practice of anger in/anger out.

It's inevitable that we're going to get angry. It's natural thing. I just wonder how to process it without hurting anything.

Go birdwatching?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Who me, have an anger management issue? Who said that? Next you'll be saying I'm paranoid as well! :)
If anyone makes anger look absurd it is John Cleese. Look how often he gets angry in Fawlty Towers as Basil. Remember his little car breaking down? Then he starts whipping it with a tree branch? :)
And to add to Tad's point about Jesus not being angry in the Passion. Imagine if he said "you can't crucify me! I want to speak to my lawyer. It's not fair."
Life is not fair. If we have the attitude that "life is not fair" all the time, we stay angry all the time. Also what is the use of chewing over things that happened years ago? Rumination is the devil's intervention for sure!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I seriously don't think in Jesus's case it was anger. But who truly knows? We are not Him, and I understand that kind of desolation which does not contain anger. Whatever, He soon was saying 'father, into Thy hands I commit my Spirit."

If Jesus was truly human though, He must have felt anger.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Those who take part in non-violent protests are doing something constructive with their anger. Like the anti-Vietnam protests.
If we don't have at least a bit of indignation at social injustice, there is no change.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's pretty pointless and counter-productive.

Pretty much the only times I'm angry, it only ever affects me. It doesn't change anything and it just gets me down and draws my focus off what matters more.

Thankfully I'm rarely angered nowadays and it's mostly fleeting when I am.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Paul would like to start an anger management therapy group for those not ashamed of their odd flare-ups. meetings will be held on Tuesdays at 9.00am Australian Western Standard Time here on TLT.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ephesians 4 NIV version tells us to get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander and every form of malice. It then tells us to be kind and compassionate to and forgive each other as in Christ God forgave us.

My new translation the ESV tells me to put those things away from me. I think that is a great phrase as it has helped me so much these last two days. The action of putting it away from me is so much easier than squashing it down inside. I hope that idea can help someone else too.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I think we need the honesty and self-awareness to say "hey I've got a problem with ______ "(anger, lust, envy, sloth and so on).I need to pray on it every day consistently. "God give me the wisdom today to notice when I am about to over-react, so I can avoid it and instead share my pain with you. "
Something like that. Maybe someone else has a better prayer or more to add.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
. "God give me the wisdom today to notice when I am about to over-react, so I can avoid it and instead share my pain with you. "

I like that turn of phrase. I hope that I remember those words when I pray tomorrow.

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0