What's your garden like at this time of year?

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,756.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Peas (snap and snow) are coming up. Cucumbers are about 6-12 inches tall. Much to my surprise Burpee's planting guide said I could get in a crop of corn. It is now knee high. A couple weeks more and I'll plant some more peas to climb the corn.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Keith, it sounds like a you have a good harvest there.

Dave, I think we need the rain coming this way, for the plants. I keep forgetting to check the pot plants as they don't retain the water as well as the ground does. lol!

You are right about the sedums being for an area under a tree, but the funny thing is that having researched and planned the area, as well as digging the grass up and letting it lie fallow for a little while, new people moved into the house behind, and the girl said that she would look after it! Actually I was pleased, and it made sense as they look out onto it, but it made me smile thinking of the time I'd spent thinking it through. lol.

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
Salford, Greater Manchester. UK
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dave, I think we need the rain coming this way, for the plants. I keep forgetting to check the pot plants as they don't retain the water as well as the ground does. lol!

You are right about the sedums being for an area under a tree, but the funny thing is that having researched and planned the area, as well as digging the grass up and letting it lie fallow for a little while, new people moved into the house behind, and the girl said that she would look after it! Actually I was pleased, and it made sense as they look out onto it, but it made me smile thinking of the time I'd spent thinking it through. lol.

LOL, we sure get plenty here (rain)
It comes, with little-warning and our first clue, is often, that the light fades (becomes dull)
as approaching rain clouds appear from behind houses (west of us) and obscure the Sun's light
before it

Everything has IT'S PURPOSE, and maybe, the Lord allowed you to struggle
with the future of the patch, in-order to provide a little girl, with the incentive (to toil and be responsible)
I would encourage her (with what I have learned) making, the timely 'suggestion'(s)
and growing her mind around it's problems and the light upon a solution :thumbsup:
(There is a reason for everything "under the sun")

Have a lovely Son day Sis'

:wave:

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thanks Dave. I hope you had a good one too, and a happy weekend now.:)

I really must plant the bulbs I bought a while ago, and tidy up the garden. I still can't believe how many plants are still flowering. :clap:

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you have no-room indoors for the potted bulbs
find a place in the garden that is sheltered from wind
stand the pots together in a bunch and fill the spaces between them
and around them with pet bedding (sawdust/wood-chips) or composting
and cover
to prevent rain soaking the sawdust etc
This will help protect from frosts

We still have plenty of bloom here too and strawberries (see Autumn Thread)
It is much chillier here (nights) it seems we are forecast a severe Winter
but, we will see how that goes :thumbsup:

Glad you now have your exam 'behind-you' my fingers are crossed, for a 'pass'

:)

God bless you Sis'

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Replying again :), because my last post was just as my battery needed recharging and I didn't want to do that until the next day, so had to log off quickly.

Thanks for the advice about keeping the bulbs frost-free Dave :oldthumbsup:. I actually PLANTED THEM TODAY! :clap:I'm so relieved, as it was getting quite urgent, but other things kept interrupting :doh:. Anyway they are in a sheltered spot, so I hope they will be okay. I tidied up the garden too, so it looks better, and still with most of the flowers blooming :).

Thanks for your comment about my exam Dave :). It was the last one, but I've gone straight onto another course, which is keeping me quite busy. I should finish next July, and graduate (hopefully) and the age of 65! :D

Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
:thumbsup: I do so appreciate, that just by taking-part, we grow and understand more
65 !! just another milestone, in your journey
both positive and advancing, and nothing can be taken from it
\o/

Congratulations
I love it :thumbsup:

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The trees are looking wonderful now, with their bright golden leaves, and the garden is reasonably tidy.

Yeah I agree re: the trees.... and congratulations on your "garden is reasonably tidy"
I wish mine were
"David" ~the rose-bush, out in the front 'garden', has at least a dozen buds, still setting petals
The strawberries (two of them) have ripened (even if, a bit firm still)
but the fallen leaf litter, is looking like; a heck of a load of work
Oi Vey!!!!

Why can't they fall into a neat pile for composting ? :p

:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Daughter of His

Believing God
Feb 1, 2004
On my computer chair
✟76,711.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
lovely thread!!!

We have mild weather here at this time too. All of my vegetables have been discarded due to a very
hot spell at the end of the summer so I have ammended the soil and will continue while I decide whether
or not to plant any winter vegetables like brocolli. Oh I do have some onions planted but that is it. Lots
of lingering flowers and some just coming back to my suprise. My yard is not tidy but I'm working on it!!^_^

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thank you Daughter of His. It's lovely to have others join in. :)

I found growing vegetables and herbs very enjoyable, but can't do it at the moment. What a pity the heat destroyed yours. How nice that your flowers are blooming again. I can't get over the fact that my garden looks more summery than it did in June. :scratch: :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davedajobauk

dum spiro spero
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2006
✟300,707.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, "David" has over a dozen buds that are trying to open
Strawberries, still green (Mary and I had one each on Thursday :D )
Two green tomatoes, are still trying at the end of the rear path
We have a pink rose (single) in full bloom
and the white roses show little sign of trying to 'rest'

Maybe the weather will brighten, sufficient to enable me to start on the new arbor
Must wait and see :thumbsup:

Upvote 0