What's it like to be an Anglican priest?

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Is this problem specific to Australian Anglicanism and perhaps the Uniting Church and parts of the Catholic Church, or is it more widespread?
It's most churches, really. Maybe the Pentecostal mega-church types not so much, but everyone else is aging.

My diagnosis is that most local churches have become inward-looking, and more focussed on having church the way they like it ("the way we've always done things"), than building real relationship with people outside their membership. The younger folk, if they do come along, feel themselves on the outer, are not given opportunities for leadership or to shape the culture of the church, and don't find that this is a place where they can best contribute their gifts to making a difference in a way they find meaningful. (And often face personal judgement across the generational divide). So they go elsewhere, or build informal networks amongst themselves, and conclude (not without reason) that the institutional churches are "irrelevant" to them.

The common public perception that, if it knows anything about church, knows these three things: that we covered up child sexual abuse on an industrial scale, that we're sexist to the core, and wrestling with precisely how mean God requires us to be to gay people, doesn't help make us seem like a place which might nurture authentic relationship with God, or with our fellow human beings. That's quite a reputation to get past.
Also, what about Aboriginal communities?
I really don't know. I've never served in really remote areas, which is where those communities still thrive.

• Prayers
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟48,501.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is pre covid, where our loooong shutdowns impacted churches (it has taken my church untl now to get back to pre covid service numbers)

National Church Life Survey (NCLS) data shows that over the last four decades the proportion of Australians attending church at least once per month has more than halved from 36% (1972) to 15% currently. However this is still a significant proportion of the Australian population and indeed twice as many Australians attend church at least once per month (3.495m) as attend all AFL, NRL, A League and Super Rugby games combined per month (1.684m) during the football season.

Along with an ageing national population, the NCLS data shows the church going population is also ageing with an average age of adult church attenders being 53. While the 70 plus age group are strongly represented in church (comprising 12% of the population but 25% of all church attendees), the age groups under 50 are underrepresented. This divide is increasingly evident with the younger generations, for example the 20-39 year olds make up 34% of the population but just 21% of church attenders.

However the denominational grouping with the youngest church attending population is also the fastest growing denomination. Pentecostal churches had an average age of attending adults as 39 and they have a total church going population of 12% of all church goers. This means that Pentecostal churches are now the second largest denominational grouping of church attenders after Catholics (46%) and ahead of Anglicans (11%).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
that we covered up child sexual abuse on an industrial scale,

The Anglican Church in Australia had a child abuse issue? I was not aware of this.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This means that Pentecostal churches are now the second largest denominational grouping of church attenders after Catholics (46%) and ahead of Anglicans (11%).

That makes me sad, considering Anglicanism seems to me to represent the very essence of what St. Paul meant about worshipping decently and in order. I largely agree with what St. John Wesley had to say about the Anglican liturgy.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Prayers
Upvote 0

Christoph Maria

Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return...
Sep 10, 2022
Göteborg, Sweden
✟66,837.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
That makes me sad, considering Anglicanism seems to me to represent the very essence of what St. Paul meant about worshipping decently and in order. I largely agree with what St. John Wesley had to say about the Anglican liturgy.
That's precisely how I see it too...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0