What's it like to be an Anglican priest?

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That’s really upsetting that she did that to you.
In his work: The Enchiridion on Faith, Hope, & Love, St. Augustine has about 200 quotes from scripture and about 10 of these are from Wisdom & Ecclesiasticus. I wonder what grade St. Augustine would have received?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In his work: The Enchiridion on Faith, Hope, & Love, St. Augustine has about 200 quotes from scripture and about 10 of these are from Wisdom & Ecclesiasticus. I wonder what grade St. Augustine would have received?

Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus are two of my favorite books, and it is interesting to note that Anglicanism uses both of them. For example, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) is used for the scripture lesson on the Feast of St. Luke, the “Honor a physician” pericope.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wisdom and Ecclesiasticus are two of my favorite books, and it is interesting to note that Anglicanism uses both of them. For example, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) is used for the scripture lesson on the Feast of St. Luke, the “Honor a physician” pericope.
Such an example helps us see St. Luke in a greater light and that God has clearly nurtured physicians and medicine for our wellbeing.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Having lived in Melbourne most of my life, and ministered there for years, I can tell you that unless you live and work very much in the inner city, you cannot rely on public transport to meet your needs. In my first curacy I had a supervising priest who didn't drive, and he was *very* happy to have me as his assistant, not least because suddenly he had someone who could drive him to hospital visits or on other errands.
Melbourne might have a tram system, but it also has a massive freeway network which can be pretty slow in peak hours. I've only been to Melbourne a few times but we stayed there for a couple of weeks in 2009 for some hockey championships. We were at Sanctuary Lakes and two of the three fields were in Footscray if I remember rightly. You could look down on the fields from the freeway at one point.

Just getting there could be a challenge if the game was an early one in peak hour traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Melbourne might have a tram system, but it also has a massive freeway network which can be pretty slow in peak hours. I've only been to Melbourne a few times but we stayed there for a couple of weeks in 2009 for some hockey championships. We were at Sanctuary Lakes and two of the three fields were in Footscray if I remember rightly. You could look down on the fields from the freeway at one point.

Just getting there could be a challenge if the game was an early one in peak hour traffic.

Sounds like Los Angeles!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yes! LOVE both of them. (I will also add Tobit but that's a different story)

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,491.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like Los Angeles!
I was flipping TV channels last night and there was a segment on surveillance in Australia - dashcams, freeway cameras etc.

They mentioned that one highway in Melbourne has 250,000 vehicles a day travelling on it.

As I said several posts ago, our cities are designed for the car.

There are some exceptions eg. some narrow streets in inner city areas from earlier years before there were cars and people mostly walked.

• Useful
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I was flipping TV channels last night and there was a segment on surveillance in Australia - dashcams, freeway cameras etc.

They mentioned that one highway in Melbourne has 250,000 vehicles a day travelling on it.

As I said several posts ago, our cities are designed for the car.

There are some exceptions eg. some narrow streets in inner city areas from earlier years before there were cars and people mostly walked.

In general this is the case in the US as well. But it might surprise you to note that most of the major Australian cities do have better public transit than most US cities. The state of public transit in cities such as Orlando, Cincinatti, Albuquerque, Columbus, Indianapolis, Des Moines, Omaha, Dubuque, Boise, Knoxville, Charlotte and Raleigh Durham, among other places is shockingly bad.

And even US cities that have theoretically good systems are in several cases suffering major safety and reliability problems due to severe neglect of system maintenance. I would note as egregious offenders the cities of Boston and Washington DC, Boston being the worst offender, in recent years plagued with collisions, train fires, incompetent drivers failing to evacuate passengers from trains that are on fire, incompetent drivers colliding with other trains, - indeed it is so bad that the majority of passengers injured on rapid transit systems in the US are injured on the MBTA systems in Boston, and there are areas on some of the lines where trains have to slow to speeds of 2 MPH, which is well below the lowest category speed restriction on railroads in the US, due to extremely poor track geometry, broken rails and malfunctioning signals. Indeed in the past few years there have been repeated incidents in which portions of Boston’s network, which 20 years ago was regarded as one of the very best, have deteriorated to the point where the Federal Railroad Administration has been forced to take over their management.

Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟48,612.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Melbourne is starting to build an orbital train loop starting through the south east to the east, through some fairly densely populated
It will look up most of the eastern lines and several major retail, educational and shopping hubs/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Melbourne is starting to build an orbital train loop starting through the south east to the east, through some fairly densely populated
It will look up most of the eastern lines and several major retail, educational and shopping hubs/

That combined with a tram-pre metro hybrid to serve the suburbs outside the tram network, wherein new tram lines would be routed into one, two or three new subways, similar to the Premetros in Belgium and the Netherlands, or the tramways in San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, and some of the Stadtbahn lines in Austria, Germany and Switzerland, as well as the metro in Volgograd, Russia, would make the system function dramatically better.

On a darker note, V/Lines efforts to convert broad gauge lines to standard gauge and replace locomotive hauled trains with diesel multiple units are supremely wasteful.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way we had an Episcopal priest whose username was something like @Deegie , is he still around? I’d be interested to know what things are like for younger ECUSA clergy, since most of my Episcopalian friends have retired or are up there in years.

Upvote 0

Tigran1245

Armenian Apostolic Church
Jul 1, 2023
Moscow
✟13,556.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Weelllll... in that regard, I'm afraid there's theory, and then there's reality. In theory, I have a daily prayer routine. In reality, it gets disrupted a lot. I do pray and reflect on Scripture every day, but in this parish (and this stage of parenting), I don't manage to do the kind of, set morning and evening prayer at similar times each day, thing as much as I would like. Which is frustrating, but I try not to beat myself up about it too much.
And in the Anglican Church you read only the Scripture or the Traditions of the Church and the Fathers too? And on what principle is the Scripture interpreted in the Anglican Church?

What is a typical week of an Anglican priest?

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟409,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
By the way we had an Episcopal priest whose username was something like @Deegie , is he still around? I’d be interested to know what things are like for younger ECUSA clergy, since most of my Episcopalian friends have retired or are up there in years.
Hiya. I'm still here! I read everything, even if I only post occasionally. It's a busy time in parish ministry here. January is the month of making budgets, preparing reports and such for the annual meeting, and completing a particular type of evil inflicted upon us by the national church called the parochial report.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And in the Anglican Church you read only the Scripture or the Traditions of the Church and the Fathers too? And on what principle is the Scripture interpreted in the Anglican Church?
We do not have a prescribed form for reading, say, the church fathers, though of course many of us do.

Scriptural interpretation would be underpinned by these statements (sorry about the slightly archaic language):

"Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation."

"The Old Testament is not contrary to the New: for both in the Old and New Testament everlasting life is offered to Mankind by Christ, who is the only Mediator between God and Man, being both God and Man. Wherefore there are not to be heard, which feign that the old Fathers did look only for transitory promises. Although the Law given from God by Moses, as touching Ceremonies and Rites, do not bind Christian men, nor the Civil precepts thereof ought of necessity to be received in any commonwealth; yet, notwithstanding, no Christian man whatsoever is free from the obedience of the Commandments which are called Moral."

"The Church hath power to decree Rites or Ceremonies, and authority in Controversies of Faith: And yet it is not lawful for the Church to ordain anything contrary to God’s Word written, neither may it so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another. Wherefore, although the Church be a witness and a keeper of holy Writ, yet, as it ought not to decree any thing against the same, so besides the same ought it not to enforce any thing to be believed for necessity of Salvation."

What is a typical week of an Anglican priest?
I don't know that there really is any such thing. It varies a great deal by context, and by parish. For example (I think I mentioned this before) my parish runs a food bank three mornings a week, and that has a massive impact on my week, where another parish priest would have quite a different week based on the activities of that parish.

To give you some idea, my week this week (which is not particularly typical, and is a bit more relaxed than normal, but is a starting point for discussion):
Sunday - morning service, afternoon meeting to plan Lent/Holy Week/Easter things
Monday - morning parish office/food bank, afternoon food bank volunteers team meeting (monthly), evening parish council meeting (monthly)
Tuesday - afternoon professional supervision (monthly), evening meeting with a couple wanting to be married
Wednesday - morning service followed by parish office/food bank, afternoon spiritual direction (for me, monthly)
Thursday - morning service, afternoon pastoral visit
Friday - public holiday (parish office and food bank closed when they would normally be open); I also get an extra day off
Saturday - regular day off.

Around those set items, I then fit in:
- A bunch of admin (at one point I worked out that I spend about the equivalent of one working day a week just on admin)
- Preparing two sermons
- Other bits and pieces for the services
- Whatever other random demands arise.

@Deegie, our annual meetings are in November. Which makes the end of the year interesting, but at least here January tends to be the "quiet" month for the year (helped by the fact that it is, for many Australians, the month of long summer holidays).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Weelllll... in that regard, I'm afraid there's theory, and then there's reality. In theory, I have a daily prayer routine. In reality, it gets disrupted a lot. I do pray and reflect on Scripture every day, but in this parish (and this stage of parenting), I don't manage to do the kind of, set morning and evening prayer at similar times each day, thing as much as I would like. Which is frustrating, but I try not to beat myself up about it too much.

Yeah, don't beat yourself up at all. I can only imagine how busy you are! But I am certain you are a wonderful priest. The people you serve are very much blessed to have you!

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,484.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now this is feeling much more like a "typical" day. I'm having to rearrange my wedding couple so I can go and give communion to someone ? dying in the ICU.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Now this is feeling much more like a "typical" day. I'm having to rearrange my wedding couple so I can go and give communion to someone ? dying in the ICU.

Kyrie eleison

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟409,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
We do not have a prescribed form for reading, say, the church fathers, though of course many of us do.

Scriptural interpretation would be underpinned by these statements (sorry about the slightly archaic language):

"Holy Scripture containeth all things necessary to salvation: so that whatsoever is not read therein, nor may be proved thereby, is not to be required of any man, that it should be believed as an article of the Faith, or be thought requisite or necessary to salvation."

"The Old Testament is not contrary to the New: for both in the Old and New Testament everlasting life is offered to Mankind by Christ, who is the only Mediator between God and Man, being both God and Man. Wherefore there are not to be heard, which feign that the old Fathers did look only for transitory promises. Although the Law given from God by Moses, as touching Ceremonies and Rites, do not bind Christian men, nor the Civil precepts thereof ought of necessity to be received in any commonwealth; yet, notwithstanding, no Christian man whatsoever is free from the obedience of the Commandments which are called Moral."

"The Church hath power to decree Rites or Ceremonies, and authority in Controversies of Faith: And yet it is not lawful for the Church to ordain anything contrary to God’s Word written, neither may it so expound one place of Scripture, that it be repugnant to another. Wherefore, although the Church be a witness and a keeper of holy Writ, yet, as it ought not to decree any thing against the same, so besides the same ought it not to enforce any thing to be believed for necessity of Salvation."

I don't know that there really is any such thing. It varies a great deal by context, and by parish. For example (I think I mentioned this before) my parish runs a food bank three mornings a week, and that has a massive impact on my week, where another parish priest would have quite a different week based on the activities of that parish.

To give you some idea, my week this week (which is not particularly typical, and is a bit more relaxed than normal, but is a starting point for discussion):
Sunday - morning service, afternoon meeting to plan Lent/Holy Week/Easter things
Monday - morning parish office/food bank, afternoon food bank volunteers team meeting (monthly), evening parish council meeting (monthly)
Tuesday - afternoon professional supervision (monthly), evening meeting with a couple wanting to be married
Wednesday - morning service followed by parish office/food bank, afternoon spiritual direction (for me, monthly)
Thursday - morning service, afternoon pastoral visit
Friday - public holiday (parish office and food bank closed when they would normally be open); I also get an extra day off
Saturday - regular day off.

Around those set items, I then fit in:
- A bunch of admin (at one point I worked out that I spend about the equivalent of one working day a week just on admin)
- Preparing two sermons
- Other bits and pieces for the services
- Whatever other random demands arise.
Two things are big parts of my week that I didn't see on your list. The first is supervising my staff. As the rector, I'm the boss for the other five staff members. Answering their questions, giving them permission to do things (whether it's purchases or days off), resolving personality conflicts, managing HR issues, and just keeping a good working relationship take a fair bit of time. The second is all of the emails/texts/phone calls, mostly from parishioners. They never stop. Everything from difficult situations to theological questions to complaints (ugh, the complaints) to the never-ending flurry of "good ideas" that people have and think that someone else should implement.

Even things like service planning take a whole lot longer than I probably thought they would before I knew better. I have to make the celebrating and preaching rotas, taking into account everyone's schedules. (We are blessed to be a three clergy-person church.) I have to sit down with the altar guild regularly to discuss upcoming seasonal changes or special services. I have to proof the bulletin with eagle eyes on Tuesdays because my secretary isn't always the best at making them. I have to figure out what announcements need to be printed in the back and who needs to be added to the prayer list. I have to report all of our use of copyrighted music to the three different license services we pay for. And then I have to check our multiple social media pages on Monday morning to capture the online attendance count for the records. No one mentioned all this mundane stuff in seminary!

Every once in a while someone expresses their thought that priesting must be easy since you only work on Sunday mornings.

• Haha
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟568,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm currently in a long-term supply arrangement. That means I don't have much to do with administrative business. I am occasionally asked for an opinion on worship matters. I do make home and hospital visits on a regular schedule. The church building is about 40 miles from my home so I don't typically drop into the office during the week, except for whatever day I do visitations. This arrangement has forced the congregation to take care of themselves a little more than they were accustomed to. I would go down there more if they wanted but they have to pay me mileage anytime I do. They are saving a tremendous amount of money over what they paid the last regular pastor by having me come once or twice a week and paying me on the per service + mileage scale. And that's okay because I have a couple of other streams of income. There are a couple of them that will drop by my house now and then and that's fine. The guy who leads the midweek study is the most regular visitor.

I have stuff that I do for my bishop. That is not a very consistent thing. Sometimes I'm working on 4 things at once and other times there's nothing all month. Right now I've got 2 projects going for him. I occasionally hit the road and make in person visits into PA, WV, and MD on his behalf - usually ecumenical initiatives.

Continuing education has become a point of emphasis in our church so I am enrolled in a class most of the time.

• Winner
Upvote 0