Whatever happened to the Lakeland Revival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean, it dominated conversation around here for quite a while and, suddenly …. Nothing.

~Jim

“We were made not primarily that we may love God but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the divine love may rest ‘well pleased.’”
~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
:D It DIED! Like we said it would. ^_^

There was that one poster who kept claiming it was still alive and strong... can't remember his name. I'm sure he'll probably drop in and try to convince us that the Lakeland (false)revival is still going on.

Reactions: NewSong
Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There was that one poster who kept claiming it was still alive and strong... can't remember his name. I'm sure he'll probably drop in and try to convince us that the Lakeland (false)revival is still going on.

I do remember it was centered on one man—Todd Bentley—whose showmanship kept the crowds coming until he publicly ripped his britches and never apologized to all those he had duped. But I thought some church took it over and it was continuing without abatement even in the wake of the scandal. But it seems to have, um, abated.

I also remember the more discerning in this forum saying it was so top-heavy it would collapse. Which it did.

But what is going on? Are some diehards still propping it up or has it died a timely death?

~Jim

“We were made not primarily that we may love God but that God may love us, that we may become objects in which the divine love may rest ‘well pleased.’”

Upvote 0

FredSmith

Jun 3, 2006
✟2,029.00
Faith
Christian
I mean, it dominated conversation around here for quite a while and, suddenly …. Nothing.

~Jim

God had enough.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The network plans to broadcast other offshoots of Lakeland, including current revival meetings in Dudley, England.

This is what I find intriguing! Any UKers know about a revival in Dudley?

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I'm sure it was not false for everyone.
teeth.gif
Many said that about that revival with Rodney Howard Browne but I know that I was changed. I can't vouch for everyone else but I can vouch for myself...in me there was revival.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Lol, I can't believe how many folks that spoke out against it went through such fire from it's supporters on here. If there was a topic that divided us, that was one of them, and I still don't completely understand the unwavering support he drew from many stable individuals on here that used to post.

It still amazes me how easy Christians are taken in by outward expressions of the soul instead of The Spirit. I really think that if someone had brought rattlesnakes up on stage and started handling them, folks would have jumped in and tried it also. Lol, no joke.

That was a modern day example of the Corinthian church if I ever wanted one.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

~Jim

Most of the WOFers, who I think were the main ones flooding the forum with threads on this, packed their bags and left. Everyone else just got plain tired of it.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lol, I can't believe how many folks that spoke out against it went through such fire from it's supporters on here. If there was a topic that divided us, that was one of them, and I still don't completely understand the unwavering support he drew from many stable individuals on here that used to post.

It still amazes me how easy Christians are taken in by outward expressions of the soul instead of The Spirit. I really think that if someone had brought rattlesnakes up on stage and started handling them, folks would have jumped in and tried it also. Lol, no joke.

That was a modern day example of the Corinthian church if I ever wanted one.

Yup. Agreed. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Most of the WOFers, who I think were the main ones flooding the forum with threads on this, packed their bags and left. Everyone else just got plain tired of it.

Really? I see more threads from the OP than any wof'ers, so can you direct me to these plethora of threads?

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Really? I see more threads from the OP than any wof'ers, so can you direct me to these plethora of threads?
:sigh: Please reread my post Svt4Him with the idea that I am talking about the time when this forum was flooded with Lakeland revile threads. Or are you denying that there was a time here when just about every other thread made was on the subject?

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Your post said that WOFers were flooding the forum with these threads. I said, and you can simply look up to see it, that there were more threads from Jim than any wofer that I saw. So if there's a link to the wofers starting these threads, I'll find one to a thread jim started on the same topic. If that is the case, then your statement that wofers were flooding the forum with these threads woudl in fact be false, sort of like I said. Please reread my post as well.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your post said that WOFers were flooding the forum with these threads. I said, and you can simply look up to see it, that there were more threads from Jim than any wofer that I saw. So if there's a link to the wofers starting these threads, I'll find one to a thread jim started on the same topic. If that is the case, then your statement that wofers were flooding the forum with these threads woudl in fact be false, sort of like I said. Please reread my post as well.

Actually, I thought Jim was asking why nobody was talking about this anymore. My bad. But seeing as you want to be pesky about this and seem to want to nail me in some way, I'll simply look to see for myself.

You are talking in the present tense where as I was talking in the past tense.

No you did not say there were more threads from Jim. When you say "I see" that is present tense. I was the one who said "were" that is past tense. The point is, I was talking about the time when this forum was flooded by all these Lakeland threads, because I was mistaken about the question asked by Jim. Though even with my misunderstanding of the question I think it is quite clear that I was talking about what was going on here several months ago. The forum currently is not being flooded with these threads so why would you think I was saying that it was? Because in your first reply to me that is what you are asking me to prove.

In my opinion, the majority of those threads several months ago were created by WOFers. Yes I could be wrong about that I suppose. I didn't keep a tally as it seems you may have done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thank you for clarifying. But can you direct me to a link? I did not keep a tally, but shifting the burden of proof is still a fallacy. And yes, there are still, present tense, threads being started...ie this one. But that doesn't negate the burden for you to support a claim you made. Even going back several months, were the treads started by WOF'ers as you allege? I don't think the question is difficult.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jim,

Where have you been to miss the results of TB's falseness, lies, and distortion of His Insprred Word.

TB is not just to blame for this fiasco, after all there are about another four who supported him and gave him all the glowing repore, and they will be held accountable and responsible for their part.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is what I find intriguing! Any UKers know about a revival in Dudley?
Yes the God TV channel were showing live coverage of it up until their Mission week started how many weeks ago.

The turn out from what I recall though was not as impressive as Lakeland.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
some members of our congregation have been down to dudley, myself not being one of them.

i can't help but think (from what i have seen and heard) is that it is just a form of lakeland. Truthfully, I suspect had there been no Lakeland, there would be no Dudley.

call me a cynic but that is just the way I see it. If transformation does not occur inside the heart on a personal level, no amount of visiting these 'revival centres' will produce anything of lasting worth. If our Goal is to meet with G-d, we have missed it. G-d has met with us already. The living water is already inside. Maybe it is time to unstop or re-prime the well. We are not catholics (mostly and in the usual sense of the word) and do not need an intercessor of an earthly nature, be it TB, BH, or any other.

Yeshua the Messiah reigns today, here, now. May His kingdom be established speedily and in our day.

Steve

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.