What was it that convinced early Romans and Greeks to convert?

Kameaux

May 11, 2021
Berlin
✟10,652.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are there any surviving writings that go into detail about the specific reasons that inspired people from classical antiquity to convert to Christianity, in contrast with remaining, for instance, Platonists? It always surprises me that a civilisation with predominantly ideologies based on reason and logic could suddenly switch to a predominantly faith-based religion. Platonism, for instance, has always gone to extreme lengths to completely lay down all the arguments in favour or against a certain ideological position, and when studying the history of Christianity it feels like i've missed certain writings of early converts that fully explain their new-found conviction in the teachings of Jesus and the apostles.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Are there any surviving writings that go into detail about the specific reasons that inspired people from classical antiquity to convert to Christianity, in contrast with remaining, for instance, Platonists? It always surprises me that a civilisation with predominantly ideologies based on reason and logic could suddenly switch to a predominantly faith-based religion. Platonism, for instance, has always gone to extreme lengths to completely lay down all the arguments in favour or against a certain ideological position, and when studying the history of Christianity it feels like i've missed certain writings of early converts that fully explain their new-found conviction in the teachings of Jesus and the apostles.

In the end, they converted because God called them. The manner in which they were called and convinced varies. Paul reasoned with the men of Athens in Acts 17. There are writings of the Church fathers that compare and contrast Christianity with Greek philosophy.

Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The NLT of Acts 17 is incredible, mainly the part where Paul preaches to the Athenians. Some were contemptuous and showed it, as if their ideas of golden dirties were more sophisticated and truthful, and at the same time many followed Paul, both prominent women and God-fearing men.

It’s interesting to note that Paul says he noticed the idols and their shrines throughout Athens and could see the Greeks were religious, and indeed one sign read, “to an Unknown God”. Paul told the people that this unknown power they were worshipping was indeed Yahweh who created all nations through his Son Jesus.
He also mentions how God foresaw and planned the rise and fall of every nation and its boundaries… Greece had recently fallen to the Romans… sensitive subject. Though my father informs me that it takes many many years for a nation or people to see that they are no longer a World power or high authority. Perhaps the reaction of the people to Paul’s assertion of God was easily misinterpreted by those who look back on it but the bible is clear that many joined Paul even though they were now apparently opposing their new ruler Caesar.

What could have made them convert? Uncertainty in new times mixed with preformed notions of a God they saw as unknown. No wonder we still doubt the Lord at times… we are in the same position but ultimately we have been given the privilege of faith. It is not a right it is a privilege and I am hereby stating my gratitude for the privilege of the Lord my God.

My real name has been revealed to me and it is Ravel. Wonderful.
Peace and love. +++

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟756,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Apostles, mostly Paul of course, spread the Gospel to the Gentiles but others had seen or spoken to the Lord Himself. Probably there were more than recorded in the Gospels but we definitely know of the faithful centurion ( Matthew 8:5-13 etc.), Greeks ( John 12:19-26), the demon possessed man ( Mark 5:1-20 etc.), the Syro-Phonecian woman ( Mark 7:24-30 etc.). There were also God fearing Gentiles like Cornelius ( Acts of the Apostles 10).

Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not a what, it's a Who. The Holy Spirit converted them along with the power of the Word, Who both came to them through the preaching of the Gospel by Christ, and then the Apostles who received power from on high (Holy Spirit) to spread the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Pagans weren’t used to hearing about a God Who loves them. Their gods were to be feared and placated. Women and slaves in those societies would be especially drawn toward the Gospel message.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There were many reasons. The empire itself eventually adopted Christianity so that helped.
It was certainly a preferable religion for most women and slaves and even those in the lowest rung of the socio-economic ladder.
Many of the early Christian teachers were actually great in advanced philosophy, apologetics, and at same time to explain things to the more ordinary folks (Gregory of Nyssa, Basil the Great, Gregory Nazianzen, Maximus the Confessor etc).

The people were also able to listen to and even read scripture if they were literate. One unusual thing about the Greek pagan religions is it had no scripture. So things were always fuzzy on the details, hence why so many competing philosophical schools. Greek mythology was never considered a divinely inspired scripture in ancient Greek religion, more like a hypothesis you can borrow from. So exactly how these gods operated in the world was never definite.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,467,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
One unusual thing about the Greek pagan religions is it had no scripture. So things were always fuzzy on the details, hence why so many competing philosophical schools. Greek mythology was never considered a divinely inspired scripture in ancient Greek religion, more like a hypothesis you can borrow from. So exactly how these gods operated in the world was never definite.

interesting point.

Upvote 0