What TYPE of point of view do you like in a book?

Infernal Freak

We sing the Death song kids cuz we got no future
Jun 22, 2004
somewhere
✟2,894.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Democrat
Hey everyone! I am back! (Again!) Oh…forgot to ask…what kinds of point of views in books do you like? I personally like 1st person narrative (when the main character is telling the story…that way you get more insight on the way they feel…also, you can put yourself in their shoes.)

Oh…another thing: what kinds of novels do you like? Suspense, horror, Christian, mystery, adventure, history, war, old fashioned, country, etc…

Has anyone heard of The Series of Unfortunate Events? I would recommend that to any middle school peeps out there! (I am sort of old to be reading them…I am 15, but…they are pretty interesting though…very, very fast reads!)

Well…hopefully you guys will answer! Got to go for now! Chat Later!

Your Sister In Christ,

-Heather-

P.S. If you have read The Series of Unfortunate Events: what is the Slippery Slope about? Did you know they’re making a new one? I have to read the Slippery Slope first though! Bye!

Wroth

Superman
Feb 3, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
✟16,584.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Greens
I like kinda an omniscient-type 1st-person... if you follow - where you get into many characters' heads and see events from their perspectives and get to learn about many different characters' personalities.

Novel - scifi/fantasy

Heard of it, I think my sister is reading some of them, I haven't really looked at them though.

Upvote 0

Dust and Ashes

wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked
May 4, 2004
Visit site
✟7,946.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It depends on the book. Usually I prefer 3rd person as it makes for a smoother transition when something happens outside the main character's perspective. I have no beef with 1st person however, especially if the narrator's psychological state has a strong bearing on the story.

I'd love to find a good 1st person novel that has the narrator slowly going insane kind of like Gothika except with it all really being in the person's head. That would be creepy if done well.

Upvote 0

stonetoflesh

reformed librarie-keeper
Apr 20, 2004
Round Rock, TX
✟11,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as perspective goes... I like 1st, 3rd, whatever's clever really. Perspective doesn't matter so much to me as what's done with the perspective. Take something like Shea & Wilson's Illuminatus! Trilogy, which wreaked havoc on my brain-- the perspective was constantly shifting (3rd person past/present/future, multiple 1st persons, etc.) often with no seeming method to the madness. At first this was difficult to deal with, but after a while I settled into it and really enjoyed the changing tapestry of perspectives. A wild ride indeed... :cool:

Favorite novels? Mostly fantasy and science-fantasy, some scifi, horror, mystery, and general fiction-- if it strikes me as interesting, I'll read it. As a librarian who has to do reader's advisory, it helps to be well-rounded in my reading tastes. Lately I haven't been feeling like reading novels though, but the cycle will continue...

Upvote 0

Wonky

Jun 26, 2004
Pacific Northwest
✟7,662.00
Faith
Lutheran
I like third, because you usually get a better sense of all the characters (though my current novel is written in 1st person...bad me).

I like some Christian novels...but they usually have to be suspenseful (I love Frank Peretti). I like pyschological thrillers, fantasy, humor, and historical fiction. I especially enjoy new twists on familiar themes.

Anything that makes me think or surprises me is good in my book.

I've wanted to read a Series of Unfortunate Events so badly. But they're not out in paperback, and I can never get a hold of them at the library. I'm looking forward to the first movie!

Upvote 0

Infernal Freak

Jun 22, 2004
somewhere
✟2,894.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, me too! I REALLY LOVE THAT SERIES! They have them in paperback here...huh, that is weird! I am REALLY looking forward to the first movie! I hope it is as good as the books. Lemony Snicket truly rocks! I think he is VERY talented and blessed with the gift God gave him!

Your Sister In Christ,
Heather

Upvote 0

Infernal Freak

Jun 22, 2004
somewhere
✟2,894.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Democrat
...I think he rocks! He really does know how to write a book! I loved the Veritas Project Series...I think he owes us just another one...2 books in a series though?!?!?! I would say that would be a sequel...but a series? Maybe he'll write more...Well, gotta go!

Your Sister In Christ,
Heather

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
I like to read and write from a first person perspective, too, although the personal 3rd person narrator also suits me. I also experimented with the embedded narrator device, i.e. having a person who witnessed the events but was neither the main character nor an important factor in the unfolding of the story tell the tale.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TrueQ

Devil's Advocate
Feb 7, 2004
Salem
✟1,197.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I like stories to switch around between first person when there are very few characters in a scene and third person when the stage is packed. I think you get the best of both worlds there, deep personal feelings on the one hand, and really great action and plot development on the other.

TrueQ's favorite genre has been, and likely always will be, sci-fi.

Upvote 0

Infernal Freak

Jun 22, 2004
somewhere
✟2,894.00
Faith
Other Religion
Politics
US-Democrat
I also like how To Kill a Mockingbird shifted. I liked that. That was pretty kewl! [It was from when she was a child, to when she was an adult...back and forth. I liked that idea!] I liked having her look back...but I really liked it when she was a child...

Your Sister In Christ,
Heather

Upvote 0

TheDandyMan

Incomplete without surface noise.
May 30, 2004
The Town, West Coast, USA
Visit site
✟9,018.00
Faith
Christian
Freak4Jesus4Ever said:
Hey everyone! I am back! (Again!) Oh…forgot to ask…what kinds of point of views in books do you like? I personally like 1st person narrative (when the main character is telling the story…that way you get more insight on the way they feel…also, you can put yourself in their shoes.)

I don't really care, but I'll say first person because that's how Eggers writes. And the man is a literary genius.

Oh…another thing: what kinds of novels do you like? Suspense, horror, Christian, mystery, adventure, history, war, old fashioned, country, etc…
Mystery, Suspense/Thriller, along with Dave Eggers and Neal Stephenson. Both of these authors have a style that's completely original that one can compare to the other, but only in a vague and cryptic way. Both of them have extremely long paragraphs and sentences and the subject just bounces around like crazy making it almost so that the plot is almost enitrely diminished at some points but, during these points, the book is still wildly entertaining. I wish I could hug both of these authors in person.

Has anyone heard of The Series of Unfortunate Events? I would recommend that to any middle school peeps out there! (I am sort of old to be reading them…I am 15, but…they are pretty interesting though…very, very fast reads!)
Fast reads indeed, but I found rather fast that all of the books carried the same essential plot and became extremely bored with the series, but I still checked out every new book from my elementary school library and usually brought them back the next day, the book read all the way through, in hopes that it would be the last book in the series and finally everything would be explained and I wouldn't have to keep on reading these confounded books to find out all the explained mysteries. But now I do not go to my elementary school and the library and my junior high is lacking compared to the library of my elementary school and they do not have the books so I do not read them any more.

And that is all.

Upvote 0