What Should I get my husband for our first anniversary?

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's in less then 2 weeks! AAAH!!
I put ALOT of time and thought into planning our "vacation/staycation" we are having that week, getting the gifts for my dad and his for their birthdays (4 days apart!) this week, making arrangements to go to a resort together later this summer, making the arrangements to go to a family wedding this fall, etc...
that the one thing I put on "hold" so I could think about it was... his gift.

He is NOT going to be easy to shop for.
here's the deets:
  • He has EVERYTHING. The only thing he NEEDS is a new car. I can't afford that.
  • For Christmas and his birthday, he asked for silly stuff like pajama bottoms and a waffle maker. Totally ok for those kinds of occasions, but the anniversary present needs to be something that was personal and thoughtful and that represents US and our love. No corny stuff. And in my mind, a bunch of new shirts or a video game qualifies as "corny stuff".
  • I don't like to give too many "shelf gifts". Shelf gifts are things like picture frames or a fancy plaque commemorating something. A few of those are nice, but The last thing he needs is more clutter for the walls. I like to give practical gifts we can use.
  • If I could, I would give him something that makes priceless memories, like a romantic weekend. We have that planned already for our anniversary and he's paying for it. I would love to give him an envelope and in it are 2 tickets for... something awesome we would DO together. But he's not into any serious concerts, he's not a cruise type of guy, we can't afford to travel the world, he doesn't care about sports so football tickets would go to waste on him, etc. So the only thing I could give him would be 2 vouchers for like .... ANOTHER resort weekend he doesn't already know about and it's just not in the budget.
Oh please help me think of something.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Depending on where you live, there are movie theatres that also serve meals during the showing. That's kind of 'out of the ordinary' and would be a way to play along with the famous list of gifts according to which anniversary it is (silver for 25th, gold for 50, etc.). As I recall, the gift on the 1st anniversary is supposed to be paper! Anyhow, tickets would do that, so even if you don't like this particular suggestion which was just off the top of my head, you might think a little longer in that vein.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I like the idea of a movie dinner, but there's also live dinner theatre or some other fun local event like that. But the other thing to think about is an anniversary tradition. You could do some quirky thing on this anniversary that sets a precedent for all other anniversaries. If you get him that waffle maker, your anniversary could start with you getting up really early, making the waffles, and then the two of you enjoying them in bed before the day starts. That way he has his waffle maker and you can start your own tradition. Since it's about paper, you could give him a card with the waffle maker's instructions tucked inside, or maybe a special recipe...

Upvote 0

bluegreysky

Can't adult today.
Sep 11, 2006
Saint Augustine, FL
✟22,012.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I tried asking him "whats your best day ever" since "what do you need/want" hasn't worked. He told me he likes the city zoo and he wants to watch Jurrassic World because it comes out on June 12 and the anniversary is June 7.
So I am setting up June 12 to be his "best day ever". On his birthday, we had a nice dinner but I worked all day and he went to school all day.
So this even makes up for that.
What he doesn't know is I bought tickets for the big Imax theater.
We already have passes to the zoo that are good until my birthday in August.
I will probably still throw in the massage at the end as the grand relaxing finale.

Any more ideas?

Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I don't know if this would help ... but as minimalists, my wife and I have everything we need and little extra. We can probably fit all we own right now into a small hatchback car. Every thing requires time to work for it/purchase, to maintain/clean, to worry about theft or later disposal, adds to clutter, takes away from free space, etc, so it's freeing to our minds to have little.

We agreed to not get each other "things", but rather, if we spent money, to spend it on experiences instead. We're kinda like Buddhist monks in that regard .. lol

03-Birthday-Card-Dalai-Lama.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I put ALOT of time and thought into planning our "vacation/staycation" we are having that week, getting the gifts for my dad and his for their birthdays (4 days apart!) this week, making arrangements to go to a resort together later this summer, making the arrangements to go to a family wedding this fall, etc...

here's the deets:
  • For Christmas and his birthday, he asked for silly stuff like pajama bottoms and a waffle maker. Totally ok for those kinds of occasions, but the anniversary present needs to be something that was personal and thoughtful and that represents US and our love. No corny stuff. And in my mind, a bunch of new shirts or a video game qualifies as "corny stuff".
  • I don't like to give too many "shelf gifts". Shelf gifts are things like picture frames or a fancy plaque commemorating something. A few of those are nice, but The last thing he needs is more clutter for the walls. I like to give practical gifts we can use.
  • If I could, I would give him something that makes priceless memories, like a romantic weekend. We have that planned already for our anniversary and he's paying for it. I would love to give him an envelope and in it are 2 tickets for... something awesome we would DO together. But he's not into any serious concerts, he's not a cruise type of guy, we can't afford to travel the world, he doesn't care about sports so football tickets would go to waste on him, etc. So the only thing I could give him would be 2 vouchers for like .... ANOTHER resort weekend he doesn't already know about and it's just not in the budget.
bluegreysky:

If you want more suggestions (whether for this year or next year):

A new credit card holder (old ones often get worn and we seem to acquire so many plastic cards);

A new study Bible;

earrings (if he wears them)

illustrated magazines about automobiles, airplanes, etc.;

tattoo voucher.

(Two cents'.)

Upvote 0

HonestTruth

Jul 4, 2013
Reaganomics: TOTAL FAIL
✟9,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

here's the deets:

Oh come on! That's EASY!!

Give him a photo of yourself, waving a great big kiss at him, and put a caption on it which says, "I love you".

Easy! :)

Upvote 0

Mrs Awesome

Mar 11, 2015
✟577.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
My husband and I didn't technically get each other anything for our one year anniversary ...

Instead, we went on a belated honeymoon to the Dominican Republic and celebrated our one year anniversary in tropical paradise! Just me, him, some yummy drinks, and the beach. It was the best "present" either of us could have gotten each other. :p

Upvote 0

Mrs Awesome

Mar 11, 2015
✟577.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
... as minimalists, my wife and I have everything we need and little extra. We can probably fit all we own right now into a small hatchback car.

I've always been curious about the minimalist lifestyle! I don't mean to hijack this post, but if you could think of any informative or helpful websites/books about he topic that you wouldn't mind passing along, I'd greatly appreciate the info! Feel free to PM me if you'd like. :)

Upvote 0

katerinah1947

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟58,600.00
Faith
Catholic

here's the deets:

Hi,
In the envelope remind him, that you still cannot believe that he picked you.
LOVE,
...Mary., .... .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
I've always been curious about the minimalist lifestyle! I don't mean to hijack this post, but if you could think of any informative or helpful websites/books about he topic that you wouldn't mind passing along, I'd greatly appreciate the info! Feel free to PM me if you'd like. :)
I started a new conversation with you, hope you got it :)

Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not to be crass or pervy or "totes inapropes" but...have you considered something like some sexy lingerie or outfit (or even activity) that he'd like (or something of the like) for private married times? A self-shot boudoir? My wife has done those things and they have been some of my favourite gifts and have meant a lot.

Get him a PS4. The way to a man's heart is through Batman: Arkham Knight.

Or this.

Upvote 0

Matthias Rose

1 Cor 10:23
Jun 21, 2015
Seattle
✟8,410.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whatever you get/do, it helps to be aware of the love languages. Understand not just what he "wants" -- but also how he feels loved.

The love languages are:

* Words of affirmation
* Receiving gifts
* Acts of service
* Physical touch
* Quality time

There is a book on this, and plenty of websites that go into more detail. If you don't already know his love language, I strongly recommend figuring out which of these categories helps him feel most loved, and then emphasize your gifts to him within that area that makes him feel most loved.

Also: know your own love language, and let him know how YOU feel loved. It's ok if your love languages are not the same. In fact, sometimes it's beneficial if they are not. (Two people constantly striving to perform acts of service for each other can be comical. On the other hand, if you are both into physical touch -- yum!)

Reactions: Mrs Awesome
Upvote 0