Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Argument got me in the door of the parish (I was Roman Catholic, and Papal Infallibility was proved to me to be on very shaky grounds, historically). I attended a Liturgy and met the priest. He asked if I wanted to meet, and then gave me a general overview of Orthodox theology at that meeting. I told my one Orthodox friend after that "You have the most beautiful religion I think I have ever heard of."

Chesterton once said that Christianity is right in all the wrong ways, but I'd say Orthodoxy is even more so. It embraces the contradictions of life, shows you how God is meeting your needs in a virgin birth, walking on water, three in one, mercy and justice, forgiveness and judgement, eternity and the present, mystery and understanding. Orthodoxy is the only church I've experienced that has consistently had that firm, gentle, steady push towards virtue and a Christ like life. Other churches told me to take in steps but Orthodoxy provided a spectrum. Others gave me a list of check-boxes, but Orthodoxy gave me a lifestyle and a new paradigm.

And it's so Christocentric, while at the same time not putting the Trinity in the background. It's so unbelievably messy, but unwilling to sacrifice that reality to make things run simpler. It's just so exactly what God wants and humans need. I remember after helping my priest with a funeral thinking about how this normal, simple woman had a funeral cloaked in gold and incense and wine, but also dirt, a simple hymn, and kissing a corpse. It's the marriage of everything, it's just so obviously touched by the divine; I'm not sure humans could be so elegant, understated, and synergetic.

Which ultimately answers the question "What keeps you Orthodox?" Where else would I go?

This is so beautifully said. I love so many of the "this yet that" statements you made, and how true it all is!

Upvote 0