Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I almost would like more hours for part time, but I do get time to pursue side hobbies that I would like to utilize in work, even if it was freelance based. It's enjoyable in a way, though honestly it's not always great in terms of factors that are no problem with the job duties itself, just environment and such that is just the nature of it being involved with the public.

As for the job itself, it's under Library Page, though I'd almost call it something else. Shelve books, shelf read, process materials we're weeding out, do various tasks because we're fairly short handed, though it's only 1 day a week. It's something I've done for probably a few years combined if you take all the time cumulatively over summers and occasional fall and winter temp periods at my alma mater's library (which was only really possible because my mom was aware of hiring in a different department to avoid nepotism)

Similar to the volunteer I do at the local animal shelter, which is technically less time than that which I get paid for, but it's "work experience" in learning more, even slightly, about the process for cats going through the process, from animal control, surrendering, etc, and seeing them open up, like one called Skittles (yeah, we had a candy theme for a bit since Halloween) who was hiding for a few weeks, even scratched my hand up, but became so much more loving, if a bit touchy (any cat can be that way). Got some new ones that'll probably be in the socializing rooms eventually, but for now they're growly, as might be expected

Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I almost would like more hours for part time, but I do get time to pursue side hobbies that I would like to utilize in work, even if it was freelance based. It's enjoyable in a way, though honestly it's not always great in terms of factors that are no problem with the job duties itself, just environment and such that is just the nature of it being involved with the public.

As for the job itself, it's under Library Page, though I'd almost call it something else. Shelve books, shelf read, process materials we're weeding out, do various tasks because we're fairly short handed, though it's only 1 day a week. It's something I've done for probably a few years combined if you take all the time cumulatively over summers and occasional fall and winter temp periods at my alma mater's library (which was only really possible because my mom was aware of hiring in a different department to avoid nepotism)

Similar to the volunteer I do at the local animal shelter, which is technically less time than that which I get paid for, but it's "work experience" in learning more, even slightly, about the process for cats going through the process, from animal control, surrendering, etc, and seeing them open up, like one called Skittles (yeah, we had a candy theme for a bit since Halloween) who was hiding for a few weeks, even scratched my hand up, but became so much more loving, if a bit touchy (any cat can be that way). Got some new ones that'll probably be in the socializing rooms eventually, but for now they're growly, as might be expected

interesting.

I have always love animals, though I am not sure if I could work in a animal shelter, I probably don't deal well with aggressive animals.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
interesting.

I have always love animals, though I am not sure if I could work in a animal shelter, I probably don't deal well with aggressive animals.
I deal better with them than aggressive people, which is why I never could work the front desk and never have at my library jobs. If anything, animals make it clearer and you can generally appease them better, even if it's just keeping distance and/or letting them just do their own thing, esp. with cats.

There's separate people that socialize the dogs and we have a program that's been funded that'll help. Downtime at the moment arguably, but we'll likely be getting an influx of cats and dogs come spring and summer.

Nonprofit jobs would likely be more complicated in terms of pay, though I'm not getting anything impressive, but it's a public library, so it's easy to deduce what this basically entry level job pays (though I won't say I'm overqualified, since the variety of things I do are almost more than other library temp jobs, at least one summer having me put together/take apart shelving)

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

APersonWithNoName

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2022
Auckland
✟90,245.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I deal better with them than aggressive people, which is why I never could work the front desk and never have at my library jobs. If anything, animals make it clearer and you can generally appease them better, even if it's just keeping distance and/or letting them just do their own thing, esp. with cats.

There's separate people that socialize the dogs and we have a program that's been funded that'll help. Downtime at the moment arguably, but we'll likely be getting an influx of cats and dogs come spring and summer.

Nonprofit jobs would likely be more complicated in terms of pay, though I'm not getting anything impressive, but it's a public library, so it's easy to deduce what this basically entry level job pays (though I won't say I'm overqualified, since the variety of things I do are almost more than other library temp jobs, at least one summer having me put together/take apart shelving)

so is socializing dogs more tricky, since depending on the breed, they could do some real damage to people?

yes, I think when you work for non profit, the pay is always going to be lower compares with those who works in public sector, hence the term non profit I guess.

• Informative
Reactions: linux.poet
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
do you enjoy it? why and why not?
I'm busy being retired. I was in industrial sales for a long time. Like most jobs, it was a mixture. I did not dread going to work each day. That has to be a bonus!

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have been the resident manager of a large apartment building for many years. I love my job and at nearly 82 am still at it. I have a constant variety of tasks including maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, groundskeeping, painting, cabinet making, tenant/landlord relations, and of course cleaning. Great tenants, great company, great pay and benefits. It perfectly suits my personality and skills. It's been a blessing. :bow:

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
so is socializing dogs more tricky, since depending on the breed, they could do some real damage to people?

yes, I think when you work for non profit, the pay is always going to be lower compares with those who works in public sector, hence the term non profit I guess.
I think that's part of it, demeanor is something I recall hearing they have to test for so they can be determined in their adoptability and what household would be best suited to them. One of the employees has kids and that helps to test in regards to how dogs respond to that kind of energy versus say me, who kind of lets them approach me moreso.

A library is technically a non profit in a way, iirc, but the animal shelter is also in a complex situation, since it works with local animal control so they can ensure the animals get taken care of and move them around as necessary to rescues as well as fosters, the whole process for adoption seemingly about a month from what I gather.

The public library gets state funding, so that's part of their limits in regards to being able to only pay me for a certain amount of time versus the time I was working on the edge of part time versus much more limited hours now. I imagine even employment at the animal shelter would warrant a similar payment with other limitations (like how if you earn below a certain amount, none of it gets withheld for federal taxes, meaning my refund in total is barely...
$200 at most when it comes in)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have been the resident manager of a large apartment building for many years. I love my job and at nearly 82 am still at it. I have a constant variety of tasks including maintenance, carpentry, plumbing, electrical, groundskeeping, painting, cabinet making, tenant/landlord relations, and of course cleaning. Great tenants, great company, great pay and benefits. It perfectly suits my personality and skills. It's been a blessing. :bow:
We'll change your name to Caleb.............

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,015,811.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I work 7 days a week. Its a very difficult job. Under payed too. I work in all weathers too! Hardly any protective clothing. Plus i have to put up with the odd nasty person and being shouted at.

It can be hell taking my owner for a walk several times a day! :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟152,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I used to work as an artist online. At first I enjoyed it but it quickly went way downhill. In the end it didn't work out. Aside from occasionally selling handmade plushies, I don't have a job now. My "work" now is simply doing my creative hobbies when I have the inspiration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MissFaithfullyHis

Mar 12, 2022
Los Angeles
✟10,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I work in the software/tech industry, and I mainly specialize in design and compliance. It has its ups and downs, but overall I mostly enjoy it when I collaborate with people who don't have egos and aren't so bossy.

I do have moments where I want to pursue culinary, but since cooking has become an enjoyable activity of mine, I don't really want to make it a career out of it and just share my experiments to my family or colleagues!

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟383,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I work in IT. Primarily sysadmin/tech support, but I also volunteer as an academic researcher (computer science) and game developer (storyboards, CAD, textures, programming). I also have expertise in 3D printing and developing prototypes. If the team I volunteer with gets a grant that we applied for a while back, I'll add these to the list as a consultant.

Fun fact: Due in part to events beyond my control, none of the above directly aligns with my undergraduate degree. Fortunately, what I'm doing now is a better fit for my temperament and natural strengths. I've always been an inventor, technologist, and artist at heart. Even when doing other things to pay the bills. God (or the universe for those of you who don't believe in God) has truly blessed me with a second chance.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I work in IT. Primarily sysadmin/tech support, but I also volunteer as an academic researcher (computer science) and game developer (storyboards, CAD, textures, programming). I also have expertise in 3D printing and developing prototypes. If the team I volunteer with gets a grant that we applied for a while back, I'll add these to the list as a consultant.

Fun fact: Due in part to events beyond my control, none of the above directly aligns with my undergraduate degree. Fortunately, what I'm doing now is a better fit for my temperament and natural strengths. I've always been an inventor, technologist, and artist at heart. Even when doing other things to pay the bills. God (or the universe for those of you who don't believe in God) has truly blessed me with a second chance.
I mean, most people who get a religious studies degree don't do what the general public seems to think whenever I mention it, same with philosophy majors.

Careers and the skills they require can overlap significantly with majors that at first glance wouldn't seem to connect (social work and religious studies seem to be a good link in my understanding, though probably other majors work for that skillset)

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟242,369.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Vision Center Manager and Optician. I love the job, except when I have to be the dad of the office, which is all the time. And except when we get major Karen's, which is also all the time, so...... xD

Upvote 0