Visit site
✟1,358,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, for which I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher, which is why I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me. Follow the pattern of the sound words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you.” (2 Timothy 1:8-14 ESV)

What does that look like to be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord? Well, to be ashamed is to be embarrassed and to not want to be associated with something or someone out of fear of what others might think of you. It is to be reluctant and unwilling and hesitant to be involved in something or to show support for someone or something, again out of fear of what others will think of you and/or out of fear of how you will be treated by them. And that is a legitimate concern, for if you are a true follower of Christ, you will be rejected and persecuted by someone, or by many people.

But as genuine followers of Jesus Christ we should not be those who are ashamed of the testimony of Christ, which is the message of the gospel of our salvation. We should not be embarrassed by those whose lives are committed to sharing the truth of the gospel, nor by the fact that they are suffering much persecution and rejection for the sake of the name of Jesus, and for the sake of the truth of the gospel, and for exposing the lies of the enemy for what they are in hopes that many will reject the lies and that they will pursue and follow after the truth of what Jesus taught, instead.

Instead, we are to be those who are “putting our necks out on the line” and who are willing to swallow our pride in order to share the truth of the gospel of our salvation and to expose the lies of the enemy so that many may come to genuine salvation from slavery to sin and to genuine walks of faith and obedience to our Lord in holy living. For we are not here on this earth to be liked by other people and for them to think that we are wonderful. We are here to share Jesus Christ and his gospel with the people of the earth so that they will love Jesus and so that they will want to serve him with their lives.

For Jesus didn’t die on that cross merely to forgive us our sins so that when we die we get to go to heaven. He died that we might be crucified with him in death to sin and raised with him to walk in newness of life in him, no longer as slaves to sin, but as slaves to God and to his righteousness. For he called us to a holy calling, to be holy in all our conduct. And to be holy is to be separate (unlike, different) from the world because we are being conformed by God to the likeness of character of Jesus Christ in holy living and in walks of obedience to our Lord and to his commands.

Now we are not saved by our own works of our own flesh and of our own doing. We can do nothing in ourselves to earn or to deserve our own salvation. But God’s grace, which is bringing us salvation, is training us to renounce (say “No!” to) ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared in advance that we should walk in them. For Jesus gave himself up for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for GOOD WORKS.

[1 Peter 2:24; Romans 6:1-23; 1 Peter 1:13-16; Ephesians 2:8-10; Titus 2:11-14; Ephesians 4:17-32; Luke 9:23-26; Matthew 7:21-23]

Therefore, a profession of faith in Jesus Christ is much more than just lip service to God. If our profession of faith is genuine God-persuaded faith in Jesus Christ, then our lives should now be surrendered to the Lord and to his service. We should not be those, therefore, who are ashamed of the gospel of Christ, but we should be those who passionately and obediently are committed to spreading the truth of the gospel regardless of how others react to us, and regardless of how we get treated in return. We must be the servants of the Lord and not servants to our own flesh.

He Gives Purpose

An Original Work / June 9, 2012

“Listen to Me when I’m calling to you.
Obey freely My word.
Follow Me in all of My ways.
Do all that I say.
Hear Me gently whisper to you
My will for your life and future.
Give all of your life and heart to
Follow Me always.”

Repent of your sins and worship Jesus.
He’s your Lord and Master.