What is "White Privilege" in american politics and law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
No, I said, and I repeat, for the record, I said many white Americans (KKK for example), which doesn't mean all white Americans are the same way.
When I said "everyone" it was a hyperbole, you're still assuming it based on your anecdotal evidence.

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

super animator

Dreamer
Mar 25, 2009
✟134,615.00
Faith
Agnostic
Christianity is a major influence, though they way it influences depends on what country we are talking about. Protestants are more influential in Canada and the USA, as well as some other places, while Catholics are more influential in Latin America as a whole
Do you think the result of protestants influence is the harsh treatment to the natives compare to other countries that you mention?

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
When I said "everyone" it was a hyperbole, you're still assuming it based on your anecdotal evidence.

Let me see, some white people told me what they think as white people concerning white privilege. So yes, since they are white people, I did take what they said at face value and didn't dismiss them, and since they are my friends, I do respect their opinions and their personal experiences as white people. And just because not all white people in this country experience white privilege for economic reasons or for other social reasons, doesn't automatically mean that white privilege is nonexistent in this country.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you think the result of protestants influence is the harsh treatment to the natives compare to other countries that you mention?

I think that what happened in the United States is a combination of anglo-superiority complex, and religious intolerance. The integration of natives and Europeans that happened in many (but not all) Latin American countries simply did not occur in the United States. Native Americans, First Nation peoples, and Native Alaskans seem to have gotten the worst end of the stick...with the exception of native Caribbean people who were extinguished.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why would anyone apologize for their race? Why would we expect anyone to?
Indeed. And yet the racist slur that pertains to that umbrella term that expects just that, White Privilege, affords evidence there are those who believe Caucasians are liable to do so.
As is the case in the case of fingers that point to the past and the maltreatment of minorities as something solely the doing of white people.And contrary to the facts of history and so as to build a false icon that imparts the notion that white people are the sole oppressors in the world. And all others are then made into the model of perpetual victim at the base of that icon.

Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Let me see, some white people told me what they think as white people concerning white privilege. So yes, since they are white people, I did take what they said at face value and didn't dismiss them, and since they are my friends, I do respect their opinions and their personal experiences as white people. And just because not all white people in this country experience white privilege for economic reasons or for other social reasons, doesn't automatically mean that white privilege is nonexistent in this country.

And my black friends laugh at the mere thought of white privilege (as well that black people actually have their own scholarships...black privilege I suppose). So does that now mean it doesn't exist now since I have countering anecdotal evidence? There has still yet to be any shred of evidence that white privilege exists. People need someone to blame for their own problems, so I guess white privilege is the flavour of the day :/

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
And my black friends laugh at the mere thought of white privilege (as well that black people actually have their own scholarships...black privilege I suppose). So does that now mean it doesn't exist now since I have countering anecdotal evidence? There has still yet to be any shred of evidence that white privilege exists. People need someone to blame for their own problems, so I guess white privilege is the flavour of the day :/

Your black friends are just as entitled to their personal opinions as my white friends are. And since your black friends haven't lived the lives of my white friends, I seriously doubt they could tell my white friends that their experiences aren't real or substantial to the point where my friends would listen to them or take them seriously. In fact, neither can you or anyone else who denies the existence of white privilege. It's the whole "walk a mile in my shoes" kind of thing. And for the record, there are studies and reports online available discussing the existence of white privilege. You're more than welcome to look them up if you so choose. And for the sake of my sanity and for the sake of harmony, I'm no longer going to argue with you about this and keep going round and round over it. This is my last response to you because it's pointless to keep arguing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Indeed. And yet the racist slur that pertains to that umbrella term that expects just that, White Privilege, affords evidence there are those who believe Caucasians are liable to do so.
As is the case in the case of fingers that point to the past and the maltreatment of minorities as something solely the doing of white people.And contrary to the facts of history and so as to build a false icon that imparts the notion that white people are the sole oppressors in the world. And all others are then made into the model of perpetual victim at the base of that icon.
Wan't the first slave owner in the US black (something people fail to realize is there were plenty of black slave owners)? Also people forget (or rather ignore) about the barbary slave trade, in their ramblings of how evil white people are.

We're living in a time where the Oppression Olympics reign free.
oppression-olympics-gawker.jpg

Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Your black friends are just as entitled to their personal opinions as my white friends are.

And there are studies and reports online available discussing the existence of white privilege. You're more than welcome to look them up if you so choose.
I have seen plenty that say otherwise, many from black people themselves. White privilege just doesn't exist no matter how much you want it to.

Reactions: Lazy_Proverb
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why would you think that a system set up for over 400 years could be dismantled in 50? There are still people alive who participated in lynchings in the 50s and 60s. This system will take many generations to dismantle. It starts with recognizing there is a problem which you are not willing to do. Why would you? You get to enjoy the respect of the police, education system, and the most options for adequate housing. Of course there is no problem. If people realize that then they might do something about it.

You're talking about people my age and my parents--and there are not only a heck of a lot of us around, but we are still firmly in control of American politics, media, and commerce. Are there any Millennials on the Supreme Court? What percentage of Congress is Millennial...or even X Gen? What about the people who create policy for Fortune 50 corporations and the media? Bill O'Reilly, Al Sharpton, Rush Limbaugh, Jesse Jackson...Boomers all.

And this is from people of my generation and only slightly older.

The dismaying thing is that in an interview only two years ago with some of the people who set fire to a bus filled with young black and white people (illegally, against the segregation laws), those same people as of 2013 were totally unrepentant.

White privilege as I've described it will be around until the Boomer Generation--the last generation raised in apartheid in America--is dead and Millennials are in control.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Louis CK talks about being white. It's filled with a bit too much swears but I would recommend looking at it on youtube. It's pretty funny.

Here's a question: Of the white posters here, who of you, if you had the opportunity to live your whole life again but you could not choose your race, would you choose to be white or black?

Upvote 0

Lazy_Proverb

"You did not choose me but I chose you"Jn.15:16
Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
✟16,321.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the first but hard to say whether or not the official first known black slave owner was a black man who appeared on the records by the title, Antonio a Negro, and who was named Anthony Johnson.
Johnson resided in Virginia where the colonial law or system of Headright law was enforced.
Headright was a colonial method by which indentured servant labor would be transported to the Virginia colonies to work and expand the realm. Meanwhile, those who sponsored the indentured servant under contract for any number of years, usually not to exceed seven years, received in exchange 50 acres of Virginia land for every indentured servant in their service.
This is how Johnson claimed 250 acres of land in 1651. He had in his service five indentured servants.

He became known outside of Virginia, which could be why he's thought to be one of, if not the, first black man to own slaves in America, (there is a difference between slaves and indentured servants), when he took his neighbor, Robert Parker , to court on the charge of taking his property, i.e. Mr.Casor.

Seems Mr. Johnson had in his service an indentured servant named John Casor. Mr.Casor ran away and to Mr.Robert Parkers nearby farm. His claim being Mr.Johnson had exceeded the term of Mr. Casor's indentured servitude, which was that 7 or possibly 8 years.
This was not a valid claim as there was evidence Mr.Casor had only entered into his indenture four years prior to running away to Mr.Parker's.

This court case was the first court case in the colonies wherein a black man went to court to press his rights as a owning indentured servants or slaves.

The final decree of the court was that Mr.Casor was to be returned to Mr. Johnson. While Mr. Parker was to make all payments related to the cost of prosecuting the case. This would be what we know today as , court costs.

Wan't the first slave owner in the US black (something people fail to realize is there were plenty of black slave owners)? Also people forget (or rather ignore) about the barbary slave trade, in their ramblings of how evil white people are.

We're living in a time where the Oppression Olympics reign free.
oppression-olympics-gawker.jpg

Reactions: Reep
Upvote 0

Reep

✞ ~Catholic~ ✞
Jul 7, 2015
Canada
Visit site
✟7,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Here's a question: Of the white posters here, who of you, if you had the opportunity to live your whole life again but you could not choose your race, would you choose to be white or black?
Why ask this question to only white people? Are you suggesting a black person would automatically want to be white? Or are you worried that you'd discover that non-white people would actually still choose the race they are?

White privilege as I've described it will be around until the Boomer Generation--the last generation raised in apartheid in America--is dead and Millennials are in control.
Ah how comforting to know we'll be led by a bunch of white guilters who get their information from tumblr and Jon Stewart :/

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
You're talking about people my age and my parents--and there are not only a heck of a lot of us around, but we are still firmly in control of American politics, media, and commerce. Are there any Millennials on the Supreme Court? What percentage of Congress is Millennial...or even X Gen? What about the people who create policy for Fortune 50 corporations and the media? Bill O'Reilly, Al Sharpton, Rush Limbaugh, Jesse Jackson...Boomers all.

The dismaying thing is that in an interview only two years ago with some of the people who set fire to a bus filled with young black and white people (illegally, against the segregation laws), those same people as of 2013 were totally unrepentant.

But do you think that since white privilege has been so deeply ingrained in this country for so long that it will never truly die off completely?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why ask this question to only white people? Are you suggesting a black person would automatically want to be white? Or are you worried that you'd discover that non-white people would actually still choose the race they are?

'Way back in the 60s, comic book produces Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created a comic book as an intentional analogy to the racial strife they saw around them: The X-Men. They intended Professor Xavier as an analog to Martin Luther King and Magneto as the analog to Malcolm X.

Interestingly, in the X-Men movie "The Last Stand," scientists have come up with a "cure" for mutants--a way for mutants to become "normal." Not at all surprisingly for black people, there was a line of mutants willing to take it.

And we have asked ourselves that question for generations. There was even an R&B hit song asking that very question back in the 70s. It's been long-term knowledge that many blacks who can pass for white have done so. Of course there are blacks who would choose to remain black. I'm not really sure that if anyone was given a choice before birth--"This is what the world is like for most people born black; this is what the world is like for most people born black. Choose one"-- that anyone would choose to be born black.

So it's still worth asking you the question: Given the world as it is, how many white people would have chosen to be born black into it?

Ah how comforting to know we'll be led by a bunch of white guilters who get their information from tumblr and Jon Stewart :/

And white non-guilters getting their information from a host of white Boomer right-wingers, such as I've already named. It's a generational issue.

I had thought for twenty years that we Boomers had proven wrong the old adages "As the twig is bent, so grows the tree" and "raise up a child in the way he should go, and when he is a man he will not depart from it."

But I've seen in the last six years that those adages still prove true. The generation that knew this reality as small children will have to be dead before a different reality takes its place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But do you think that since white privilege has been so deeply ingrained in this country for so long that it will never truly die off completely?

I said: White privilege as I've described it will be around until the Boomer Generation--the last generation raised in apartheid in America--is dead and Millennials are in control.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Louis CK talks about being white. It's filled with a bit too much swears but I would recommend looking at it on youtube. It's pretty funny.

Yeah, it is very much on point and funny, though profane.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

What you've described is not white privilege, that's hatred and racism. But I think it would be foolish to assume none of the boomer generation could have a change of heart, or that those who don't wouldn't teach their Gen X children to continue to carry the torch of racism after they're dead and gone

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Are you under the impression that most black people would prefer to be white if they were given the option?

Ken

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

I don't know why this would be the case. Every young generation starts off thinking that they'll change the world, right all wrongs, etc., and they end up just like the one before them. For millennials, your parents may have grooved out at Woodstock and protested against the Vietnam war or whatever, but by the time they were raising you, they were just as much supporters of the two party political system and either Reagan's, Bush Sr.'s, Clinton's, Bush Jr's., or now Obama's wars as their parents were supporters of Nixon or McGovern or whoever. Generational change may be profoundly transformative for those within a given generation (i.e., people of a certain age may be shaped by their experiences as young adults during WII, the post-war Civil Rights struggle, the hippie movement, etc.), but, people being as they are, there is likely to be a serious backlash against whatever the previous generation stood for by whoever's coming up. Why would all this stuff concerning race relations and foundational inequality be immune to this? It does seem like the emerging Millennial generation is more in tune with issues of privilege, they're less interested in things like voting: "Older Americans showed an overall voting rate increase between 1964 and 2012 (66.3 percent to 69.7 percent), surpassing the rates of all other age groups. Voting rates decreased for 25- through 44-year-olds (69.0 percent in 1964 to 49.5 percent in 2012), and for 18- through 24-year-olds and 45-through 64-year-olds as well." (source)

As is typical, the older someone is, the more likely they are to vote. I am among the "older" Millennials, I suppose (I'm in my early 30s), and I'll put it this way: While there are great many younger people doing good and important work when it comes to race and dealing with racial problems, most of it is coming outside of the channels by which people typically obtain and keep political power. The protests in Ferguson, for instance, may have captured the world's attention, but the people participating in them are still economically depressed and socially disadvantaged, so good luck waiting for any of them to become senators or whatever. That reality, combined with the fact that this newest generation is for the most part almost exclusively obsessed with personal 'gender identity' issues which do nothing in themselves to help the political, social, and economic standing of racial groups (read: if Caitlyn Jenner were a poor Native American, black person, or Latino, there would be no "I am Cait" show, and no ESPY award; "being your true self" does nothing for anyone outside of your immediate circle -- generic, monetizable 'awareness' be damned), pretty much guarantees that race-based inequality will be around for a long, long time.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.