Not open for further replies.

jbarcher

ANE Social Science Researcher
Aug 25, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,136.00
Faith
Christian
Can I make a warm-up topic? If yes, proceed.

In modern times the idea of "tolerance" has been rather popular (excuse the understatement, please). Yet it seems that certain groups are castrated as "intolerant", and upon investigation, some of those groups were merely in disagreement! It seems that the notion of "tolerance" as it is popularly understood, really means acceptance/agreeability.

What I've found ironic about some of those who wield the "tolerance" sword against others is that they cite Jesus as supporting their position. I guess they forgot about Matthew 23! :)

What is true tolerance? And how do we articulate and defend this?

Reactions: TwinCrier

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christians are often counted as intolerant. I heard it all the time in my undergrad religion courses. The odd thing was, the ones saying it had no tolerance of Christians.
To be truely tolerant, one must be tolerant of even the intolerant--until then, they have nothing I want to hear.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mesz said:
Tolerance is treating everyone with respect. It does not mean agreeing or approving what the person does or believes in, but treating them with respect no matter what.

Yep, I agree. It's all about respecting other people's beliefs and practices and rights. You don't have to agree with it but you should respect it.

herev said:
Christians are often counted as intolerant. I heard it all the time in my undergrad religion courses. The odd thing was, the ones saying it had no tolerance of Christians.
To be truely tolerant, one must be tolerant of even the intolerant--until then, they have nothing I want to hear.

Some Christians are intolerant. Some are very intolerant which is very sad. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Natman

Aug 17, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA
✟16,420.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree. "Tolerance" is treating even the vilest sinner with love and respect.

As Christians we are called to be salt and light. I believe that means speaking the truth, even if it isn't pleasant, for us, or someone else. Many see the exposing the truth as being intolerant. I see it as being life and eternity saving.

I know that, if I am doing something that goes against God's desire for my life, or something that is harming myself or someone else in any way, I would want to know so that I could correct my behavior, even if it causes me to lose some "pleasure".

Son-cerely,
Nate

Reactions: TwinCrier
Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Holly3278 said:
Yep, I agree. It's all about respecting other people's beliefs and practices and rights. You don't have to agree with it but you should respect it.
I disagree with this definition. Respecting the person and respecting what they they believe/do is quite different.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Letalis said:
I disagree with this definition. Respecting the person and respecting what they they believe/do is quite different.

Ok, so why shouldn't we respect their beliefs and practices? I mean, it's not like you have to agree with them, just respect them.

Upvote 0

Natman

Aug 17, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA
✟16,420.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
mesz said:
By respect I mean you should allow them to practice their beliefs (assuming it is not against the law) even though you disagree with it.

What if their beliefs involve doing things that are immoral, such as human sacrifice, killing in the name of a false God, rape, incest, beastiality etcetera?

Nate

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟125,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I truly believe the Word has to be the guideline when it comes to this matter or any matter. We can’t go by what the world deems as tolerant or intolerant because they have no standard; and because they have no standard what was tolerant yesterday will not be tomorrow.

Example: Teaching Romans 1 in many countries today would be considered intolerant. So do we change to fit the standard of the world …………..???? God forbid

Now with that said I can use the isolated Word {that’s the new translation} as my standard and be still be intolerant as a Christian, because I don’t walk in love. Love has got to be the cohesive bond that cements the Word of God together.

Was Jesus Christ tolerant of sin ….no!………. but he came to save the sinner. Did he compromise the standard of the truth to conform to the world’s standards, a resounding no! …he just walked in love. Did Jesus offend people? just a few, so should it be any surprise if we offend people when we speak the truth in love……………….

So in conclusion I would state that tolerance has got to be subject to the truth, not the truth to tolerance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

God Bless
sandman

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
jbarcher said:
Just out of curiosity...what does treating the vilest sinner with love and respect entail?
Telling them what they're doing is wrong. This is just my opinion, but telling them what they're doing is wrong is the best way you can show love and respect.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Holly3278 said:
Ok, so why shouldn't we respect their beliefs and practices? I mean, it's not like you have to agree with them, just respect them.
No, we shouldn't respect sin, we should ALWAYS hate it. We should respect that they have the right, given by God, to sin (that whole free will thing.)

mesz said:
By respect I mean you should allow them to practice their beliefs (assuming it is not against the law) even though you disagree with it.
We should never force someone to stop sinning. God gave man free will for a reason, and that reason wasn't for man to infringe upon it. There are, however, limitations to this.

Upvote 0

herev

CL--you are missed!
Jun 8, 2004
✟36,100.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Letalis said:
Telling them what they're doing is wrong. This is just my opinion, but telling them what they're doing is wrong is the best way you can show love and respect.
what if what you are telling them is wrong is your interpretation of scripture and they interpret it differently. Then it seems to be so dogmatic in "telling them they were wrong" would be less than loving and too dogmatic (just playing devil's advocate for a minute)

'

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Letalis said:
No, we shouldn't respect sin, we should ALWAYS hate it. We should respect that they have the right, given by God, to sin (that whole free will thing.)

That all depends on what you call sin. Sin to one person may not be a sin to others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
"Tolerance" is treating even the vilest sinner with love and respect.

The "vilest sinner" being who exactly?

Seems to me that this is a recipe for self-righteousness, rather than respect. Unless by the "vilest sinner" we're first of all refering to ourselves, that is. If we think we're neccessarily better than those terrible people over there (or as the Pharisees used to pray, "thank God I'm not a sinner, a heathen or... God forbid... a woman!" :eek: ) then we're not exactly loving our neighbours as ourselves, are we?

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Letalis said:

But when Paul approached the philosophers of the Areopagus he did not tell then what they were doing wrong to start, he told them what they were doing right! I think that to start with, we must recognize that there is a tad of truth found under every rock....Paul did. Then, find common ground. Then, with love seek understanding. Only after these things can differences be addressed.

This is my approach to tolerance. My best friend is an atheist. We have been best friends for 25 years. I choose to take Paul's approach even if it takes another 25 years.

Upvote 0

Natman

Aug 17, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA
✟16,420.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
artybloke said:
The "vilest sinner" being who exactly?

Seems to me that this is a recipe for self-righteousness, rather than respect. Unless by the "vilest sinner" we're first of all refering to ourselves, that is. If we think we're neccessarily better than those terrible people over there (or as the Pharisees used to pray, "thank God I'm not a sinner, a heathen or... God forbid... a woman!" :eek: ) then we're not exactly loving our neighbours as ourselves, are we?

Well, I believe it starts with ourselves. You can count me in on the list of "vilest sinners" , and I thank God every day that someone tells me I am out of line with God's design in my life and backs it up with scripture. Were it not for someone telling me I needed forgiveness and salvation, I wouldn't be typing on this forum right now.

We can not compare someone's measure of sin against someone else's measure of sin. It must only be against God's measure of sin, in which case we are all sinners. Some are striving toward the mark and some could care less.

Nate

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2004
✟138.00
Faith
Christian
and because we are sinners
because we are all equal
because we are all part of God's design
we have this thing called tolerance

i believe that tolerance is not just about respect
i believe that tolerance is not just about not rebuking beliefs that are not your own
i believe that tolerance is loving all people created by the hands of the creator

tolerance would be
to love a person of another religion so much
you would want to save them

intolerance would be
to ignore his damnation

tolerance would be
to give a homosexual help and advice
and redemption

intolerance would be to let his sins eat him away

tolerance would be love

intolerance would be ignorance

Upvote 0