Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Does a disciple of Christ = a follower of Christ?
The answer is obviously yes. So the qualification to be a Christian is to be a disciple/follower of Christ.

I am a disciple/follower of Christ, therefore I am a
Christian. You are a disciple/follower of Christ, therefore you are a Christian, even though we veiw things differently, we are still disciples/followers of Christ.

Simple definition, simple to know who is a Christian, unless you add to the definition like this: And the disciples of Christ who believe in the Triune God were first called Christians at Antioch. Now you have created a whole new dimension that is not only unfair, but is unbiblical.

I don't know the statements you are referring to. I know he was fairly verbally harsh on Christians and non-Christians who were persecuting him and the church.

Joseph Smith:
"...all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: 'they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.'"

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Joseph Smith:
"...all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: 'they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.'"
That's talking about the Creeds. Not the Bible, nor the people who honestly try to follow Christ in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
[QUOTE="Phoebe Ann, post: 70685802,]Show me the evidence from the time of Jesus' ministry that scientists knew what to call amniotic fluid.[/quote]

Are you willing to suggest that Jesus, the Creator of everything in the universe did not know the difference between water and amniotic fluid.

I'm not a creator god, and I know the difference.

It is impossible to think of living in the Presence of God as a state of being stagnant when you are experiencing fulness of joy:

When you are living in the presence of the Lord you will not be stagnant, but as you are aware not all people will be allowed into the presence of the Lord. Those people will be damned/stagnant.

In your dreams. Those in the lower levels have immortality only and do not have eternal life.

There are different levels of perfection in the Celestial
K of G. But in all levels of the Celestial K of G, you experience eternal life.

Those that are in the lower kingdoms, which will be the Terestrial and Telestial kingdoms will not experience eternal life.

In the Terestrial kingdom their experience will be different because they will not be in the presence of God the Father. Jesus will visit periodically, but the fullness of the Godhead will not be experienced, hence they will not know eternal life.

In the Telestial kingdom, God the Father will never be present, and they will have the visit of the HS only periodically. So they will not experience eternal life either.

Jesus did not need salvation; sinners do.

Why did Jesus tell John the Baptist to go ahead with the baptism? It was to fulfill all righteousness.
(Matthew 3:15)

What if Jesus had not been baptized and therefore had not fulfilled all righteousness? What do you think would have happened then?

But he did get baptized, he did fulfill all righteousness and then he went on to die on the cross and atoned for our sins, was resurrected and did all the things that were required of him by his God and his Father
(John 20:17), and he was finally exalted and was set beside the Father in yonder heavens, awaiting his second return to the earth.

Joseph Smith was not a follower if Jesus:

I agree this was a silly kind of statement.

But, this is not a statement that would disqualify him from being a follower of Jesus. JS literally gave up his life for the name of Jesus Christ.

And, according to the bible, the followers of Jesus did betray, deny, and abandoned him and left him to be tortured and crucified pretty much alone.

Again, pretty silly, but he was saying that even in these dark hours the people that were following him as a prophet of Jesus Christ, were not abandoning him.

There were of course, people that did abandon JS, but when he was murdered, there were at least 15,000 faithful that were still in Nauvoo and elsewhere that celebrated his life and then many of them went to Salt Lake City and other western areas to get away from the persecution.

Please show me the biblical teaching that says a man must be born three times.

There is no biblical teaching that says a man must be born 3 times. There is a natural first birth which is not a biblical teaching, but then there is a second birth or being born again, and according to the way we interpret the scripture, being born again means, you are born again of the water, by being fully immersed in a water baptism, and then you are born of spirit.

Being born again of the water cleanses the flesh and being born of the spirit cleanses the spirit and now you come forth a new person ready to be faithful to Jesus in loving him and keeping his commandments. It's really quite a simple doctrine. I do not know why there is so much confusion between the churches.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith:
They are still Christians, even though their doctrines are not correct and their hearts are far from me etc.

And interestingly, JS was quoting Jesus.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟221,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are still Christians, even though their doctrines are not correct and their hearts are far from me etc.

And interestingly, JS was quoting Jesus.
And Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus. The words are there. Anyone can do it. Does not mean they have special prophetic powers.

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
And Satan quoted Scripture to Jesus. The words are there. Anyone can do it. Does not mean they have special prophetic powers.
So what if satan quoted scripture to Jesus.

It does not mean that they have prophetic powers, but it might mean that they do too. JS did.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you willing to suggest that Jesus, the Creator of everything in the universe did not know the difference between water and amniotic fluid.

I'm not a creator god, and I know the difference.

When I was pregnant, my water broke.

During pregnancy, your baby is surrounded and cushioned by a fluid-filled membranous sac called the amniotic sac. Typically, at the beginning of or during labor your membranes will rupture — also known as your water breaking.
Mayo Clinic

Does Mayo Clinic not know the difference between amniotic fluid and water?

When you are living in the presence of the Lord you will not be stagnant, but as you are aware not all people will be allowed into the presence of the Lord. Those people will be damned/stagnant.

Who is allowed in the presence of the Lord per Mormonism?

COMPLETE OBEDIENCE BRINGS ETERNAL LIFE. But to be exalted one must keep the whole law. This is the great love he shows forth for his children: notwithstanding they sin and close their eyes against the truth, yet his arm is stretched out still, and he will feel after them and bring them back if they will keep his commandments; and if not, he will do for them just the best he can. Is going to bless them with all it is possible to give, and all shall be saved; all others will receive a place somewhere and it will be glorious unto them, but to receive the exaltation of the righteous, in other words eternal life, the commandments of the Lord must be kept in all things.
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p. 6

Mormons can't ignore LDS scripture just to make Mormonism seem more palatable to potential converts. That would be dishonest.

Doctrine and Covenants 132
15 Therefore, if a man marry him a wife in the world, and he marry her not by me nor by my word, and he covenant with her so long as he is in the world and she with him, their covenant and marriage are not of force when they are dead, and when they are out of the world; therefore, they are not bound by any law when they are out of the world.

16 Therefore, when they are out of the world they neither marry nor are given in marriage; but are appointed angels in heaven, which angels are ministering servants, to minister for those who are worthy of a far more, and an exceeding, and an eternal weight of glory.

17 For these angels did not abide my law; therefore, they cannot be enlarged, but remain separately and singly, without exaltation, in their saved condition, to all eternity; and from henceforth are not gods, but are angels of God forever and ever.

18 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife, and make a covenant with her for time and for all eternity, if that covenant is not by me or by my word, which is my law, and is not sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, through him whom I have anointed and appointed unto this power, then it is not valid neither of force when they are out of the world, because they are not joined by me, saith the Lord, neither by my word; when they are out of the world it cannot be received there, because the angels and the gods are appointed there, by whom they cannot pass; they cannot, therefore, inherit my glory; for my house is a house of order, saith the Lord God.

19 And again, verily I say unto you, if a man marry a wife by my word, which is my law, and by the new and everlasting covenant, and it is sealed unto them by the Holy Spirit of promise, by him who is anointed, unto whom I have appointed this power and the keys of this priesthood; and it shall be said unto them—Ye shall come forth in the first resurrection; and if it be after the first resurrection, in the next resurrection; and shall inherit thrones, kingdoms, principalities, and powers, dominions, all heights and depths—then shall it be written in the Lamb’s Book of Life, that he shall commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, and if ye abide in my covenant, and commit no murder whereby to shed innocent blood, it shall be done unto them in all things whatsoever my servant hath put upon them, in time, and through all eternity; and shall be of full force when they are out of the world; and they shall pass by the angels, and the gods, which are set there, to their exaltation and glory in all things, as hath been sealed upon their heads, which glory shall be a fulness and a continuation of the seeds forever and ever.

20 Then shall they be gods, because they have no end; therefore shall they be from everlasting to everlasting, because they continue; then shall they be above all, because all things are subject unto them. Then shall they be gods, because they have all power, and the angels are subject unto them.

Eternal life is the phrase used in scripture to define the quality of life that our Eternal Father lives. The Lord declared, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man” (Moses 1:39). Immortality is to live forever as a resurrected being. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, everyone will receive this gift. Eternal life, or exaltation, is to live in God's presence and to continue as families (see D&C 131:1–4). Like immortality, this gift is made possible through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. However, to inherit eternal life requires our “obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel” (Articles of Faith 1:3).
Eternal Life | Exaltation - Living in God's Presence

There are different levels of perfection in the Celestial
K of G. But in all levels of the Celestial K of G, you experience eternal life.

I am not aware of any LDS scripture that substantiates that claim. Perfection can't be in levels.

Those that are in the lower kingdoms, which will be the Terestrial and Telestial kingdoms will not experience eternal life.

Only those who have exaltation have eternal life.

"Simply stated, eternal life is to live forever as families in the presence of God (see D&C 132:19–20,24, 55)."
Elder John M. Madsen, Eternal Life Through Jesus Christ, Liahona, July 2002

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
To Phoebe:

Does Mayo Clinic not know the difference between amniotic fluid and water?

You went from Jesus to the Mayo Clinic.

Everyone knows that it is easier to say your water broke than to say that your amniotic fluid broke. So we use the word 'water'.

We all also know however, that the fluid in the amniotic fluid is only a small part water. There is a majority of other parts, including fetal urine. So stop with trying to make up that the amniotic fluid is the same kind of 'water' that you would think of in terms of being baptized in.

In fact if the truth were known that you were going to be baptized in amniotic fluid, it would disgust you and you would not do it. It is for this reason that I know that when Jesus said a man must be born of the 'water', he was not referring to his birth, he was referring to the 'waters of baptism', many years after his birth.

That is specifically why he went to John the Baptist and was fully immersed baptized. He too had to do what he said, and for him, this baptism also fulfilled all righteousness. It will for us too.

Who is allowed in the presence of the Lord per Mormonism?

All those who are born again, and keep the 'law of Christ'
(see the Law of Christ at Galatians 6:2)
You will see that one of the 'laws of Christ' is a good work of: bearing each others burdens.

We must need be obedient to this law and obedient to all the laws of Christ and then we will receive his gift of eternal life.

Notice,Paul is not talking about the 'laws of Moses' to the Galations,
but the 'law of Christ'. A big difference. But obedience is important. I suggest that you do a pretty good job of living the 'law of Christ', keep being obedient, and you will find yourself in the presence of God eternally.

Mormons can't ignore LDS scripture just to make Mormonism seem more palatable to potential converts. That would be dishonest.

What you quoted from JFSmith are true words, but they come from a book called the doctrines of salvation, which is not LDS scripture.

What you quoted from the D&C is correct about the marriage covenant, and is one of the biggest reasons that non-Mormons convert to Mormonism because they know our doctrine on marriage is true and they want to be married to their spouses and have their family for eternity. So we do not hide that doctrine from anyone, in fact we promote it openly. You should know, you were once a member.

If you do no not wish to be married for time and all eternity, you may have your wish and still have eternal life with the entire Godhead. You will not be in the highest level of the Celestial K of G, but you will be in the Celestial K of G. The highest level is for those that took upon themselves the everlasting covenant of marriage.

I am not aware of any LDS scripture that substantiates that claim. Perfection can't be in levels.

You are correct, but what I was trying to say is that there is a higher level in the Celestial K of G that is differentiated from a lower level by being married. In the lower level of the Celestial K of G you remain single.

Only those who have exaltation have eternal life.

This is right and simply stated, eternal life is life in the presence of the full Godhead.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If you do no not wish to be married for time and all eternity, you may have your wish and still have eternal life with the entire Godhead. You will not be in the highest level of the Celestial K of G, but you will be in the Celestial K of G. The highest level is for those that took upon themselves the everlasting covenant of marriage.

You are correct, but what I was trying to say is that there is a higher level in the Celestial K of G that is differentiated from a lower level by being married. In the lower level of the Celestial K of G you remain single.

You either don't know Mormonism or you are just plain misrepresenting it.
Those in the lower levels are not in God's presence. They have immortality only.

"Even those in the Celestial Kingdom, however, who do not go on to exaltation, will have immortality only and not eternal life..."
Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p. 670

(1-14) "Then Shall They Be Gods, Because They Have No End"
But if we are married for time and eternity and it is sealed upon our heads by those who have authority so to seal, and if we then keep our covenants and are faithful to the end, we shall come forth in the resurrection from the dead and receive the following promised blessings:
" 'Then shall they be gods...
"So if you want to enter into exaltation and become as God, that is a son of God or a daughter of God, and receive a fulness of the kingdom, then you have got to abide in his law---not merely the law of marriage but all that pertains to the new and everlasting covenant---and then you have the 'continuation of the lives' forever, for the Lord says:

" 'This is eternal lives---to know the only wise and true God, and Jesus Christ, whom he hath sent. I am he. Receive ye, therefore, my law.' (D&C 132:24.)" (Smith, Doctrines of Salvation 2:62-63.)
Achieving a Celestial Marriage Student Manual, copyright 1976, 1992, p. 131

Click here for the steps to eternal life

Doing temple work for the dead isn't listed on the illustration, but is another requirement along with tithing and keeping all covenants made in the temple.

This is right and simply stated, eternal life is life in the presence of the full Godhead.

That is Mormon teaching based on obedience to all the laws and ordinances of the Mormon religion. They are unbiblical man-made requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
You either don't know Mormonism or you are just plain misrepresenting it.
Those in the lower levels are not in God's presence. They have immortality only.

Well, you have asked an interesting question. I have always believed that there are 3 degrees of Glory. The Celestial Kingdom of God, the Terestrial Kingdom, and the Terestrial Kingdom.

This still stands, no questions. But I have also always believed that there are 3 levels or divisions in the Celestial Kingdom of God. I have always believed that those that make it into the CK will have eternal life with the full Godhead.

With your question, I have started to do my research and it may be that if you are not in the 2 highest divisions, you will not be exalted and you will be single.
I may find that if you are not in the highest division, you will not be exalted too. Have to wait and see.

My research is about:
1) is there really divisions in the CK?
2) if there is, who will be in each division?
3) what divisions will achieve exaltation?

So thanks for that.

Doing temple work for the dead isn't listed on the illustration, but is another requirement along with tithing and keeping all covenants made in the temple.

Tithing is always a requirement. The Lord's church needs money to fulfill His promises to the world. In order for the salvation effort to move forward throughout the entire world, a lot of money is needed to fascilitate that quest. Therefore, if you are committed to the Lord and building up His Kingdom here on the earth, you will give generously to that cause.

He expects it, for He has given you everything, the least you can do is give Him back 10% of all that He gives you. If you cannot do that least amount, then your committment is not very solid and you will find other reasons to move away from God.

Doing temple work is a good work for those who have not had the opportunity to be baptized and endowed.
The last prophet before Christ, the prophet Malachi said that if we do not do this work the earth will be utterly wasted at his coming. So with a glad heart we search for our ancestors that have not had this opportunity and we do their work for them. They in turn, have the right to accept that work, or reject that work.

This work will be finished in the millenium, which will give all men that have ever lived the opportunity to confess Jesus and receive the essential ordinances in order to be saved.
It is one of the great revelations that JS received from Jesus, the salvation of the dead.

That is Mormon teaching based on obedience to all the laws and ordinances of the Mormon religion. They are unbiblical man-made requirements.

Do you know all the laws associated with the
'Law of Christ'? (See Galations 6:2, and remember this is not the same as the 'Law of Moses'). If you do not, then do not think that our laws and ordinances are different from the 'Law of Christ'? Your research must center around the
'Law of Christ'. Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, you have asked an interesting question. I have always believed that there are 3 degrees of Glory. The Celestial Kingdom of God, the Terestrial Kingdom, and the Terestrial Kingdom.

This still stands, no questions. But I have also always believed that there are 3 levels or divisions in the Celestial Kingdom of God. I have always believed that those that make it into the CK will have eternal life with the full Godhead.

The problem with that assumption is that you can't be single and be a god according to D&C 132.

With your question, I have started to do my research and it may be that if you are not in the 2 highest divisions, you will not be exalted and you will be single.

There wouldn't be a division to separate exalted beings from each other. In order to be exalted you have to keep all the laws and ordinances.

D&C 82
9 Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.

10 I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.

I may find that if you are not in the highest division, you will not be exalted too. Have to wait and see.

My research is about:
1) is there really divisions in the CK?
2) if there is, who will be in each division?
3) what divisions will achieve exaltation?

So thanks for that...

You're welcome.

Do you know all the laws associated with the
'Law of Christ'? (See Galations 6:2, and remember this is not the same as the 'Law of Moses'). If you do not, then do not think that our laws and ordinances are different from the 'Law of Christ'? Your research must center around the
'Law of Christ'. Good luck.

The law of Christ in the Bible and in Mormonism are not the same. The law of Christ isn't a "set" of laws and it is written in our hearts.

Galatians 5
14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

And that reminds me of the Air Florida crash in 1982.

Passenger Arland D. Williams, Jr., assisted in the rescue of the few survivors but drowned before he himself could be rescued. He loved his neighbors probably more than self.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
I tried to edit the above post about six times, but it does no good.

Likely a glitch with the quote tags themselves; you probably accidentally deleted or altered one half of a pair somewhere along the way. You'd be surprised how often it can happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟81,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe you love God, and that all Christians love God including Mormons.

They are still Christians, even though their doctrines are not correct and their hearts are far from me[God] etc.

Respectfully, you can't have it both ways, Peter.

Those whose hearts are far from God are NOT Christians and don't love God.

“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation. . . . One passage in the Book of Mormon, written perhaps . . . to stress and induce appreciation for the gracious gift of salvation offered on condition of obedience . . . is particularly enlightening: ‘For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.’ (2 Nephi 25:23; italics added.) . . .
“. . . However good a person’s works, he could not be saved had Jesus not died for his and everyone else’s sins. And however powerful the saving grace of Christ, it brings exaltation to no man who does not comply with the works of the gospel.
“Of course we need to understand terms. If by the word salvation is meant the mere salvation or redemption from the grave, the ‘grace of God’ is sufficient. But if the term salvation means returning to the presence of God with eternal progression, eternal increase, and eventual godhood, for this one certainly must have the ‘grace of God,’ as it is generally defined, plus personal purity, overcoming of evil, and the good ‘works’ made so important in the exhortations of the Savior and his prophets and apostles” (Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, pp. 70–71).
The website is temporarily down.

ENDOWMENT AND SEALING PRECEDE SONSHIP. The Lord has given unto us privileges, and blessings and the opportunity of entering into covenants, of accepting ordinances that pertain to our salvation beyond what is preached in the world; beyond the principles of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance from sin, and baptism for the remission of sins, and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost; and these principles and covenants are received nowhere else but in the temple of God.
If you would become a son or daughter of God and an heir of the kingdom, then you must go to the house of the Lord and receive blessings which there can be obtained and which cannot be obtained elsewhere; and you must keep those commandments and those covenants to the end. . . .
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p. 40

“And virtually all the millions of apostate Christendom have abased themselves before the mythical throne of a mythical Christ whom they vainly suppose to be a spirit essence who is incorporeal uncreated, immaterial and three-in-one with the Father and Holy Spirit.”
Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 1966, p.269

“It is true that many of the Christian churches worship a different Jesus Christ than is worshipped by the Mormons or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
Bernard P. Brockbank, “The Living Christ,” Ensign (Conference Edition), May 1977, p. 26

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith:
JS did not call them non-Christians, that is the topic here.
He did call them apostate, and their creeds and professors were corrupt, because over the centuries of debate and argument, they lost the true interpretation of the scriptures and added and substracted from the scriptures and hence they lost the true doctrine of Jesus Christ.

But even though they lost the true doctrine, they are still Christians, because they simply do follow Christ.

Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Respectfully, you can't have it both ways, Peter.

Those whose hearts are far from God are NOT Christians and don't love God.

“One of the most fallacious doctrines originated by Satan and propounded by man is that man is saved alone by the grace of God; that belief in Jesus Christ alone is all that is needed for salvation. . . . One passage in the Book of Mormon, written perhaps . . . to stress and induce appreciation for the gracious gift of salvation offered on condition of obedience . . . is particularly enlightening: ‘For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.’ (2 Nephi 25:23; italics added.) . . .
“. . . However good a person’s works, he could not be saved had Jesus not died for his and everyone else’s sins. And however powerful the saving grace of Christ, it brings exaltation to no man who does not comply with the works of the gospel.
“Of course we need to understand terms. If by the word salvation is meant the mere salvation or redemption from the grave, the ‘grace of God’ is sufficient. But if the term salvation means returning to the presence of God with eternal progression, eternal increase, and eventual godhood, for this one certainly must have the ‘grace of God,’ as it is generally defined, plus personal purity, overcoming of evil, and the good ‘works’ made so important in the exhortations of the Savior and his prophets and apostles” (Spencer W. Kimball, Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, pp. 70–71).
The website is temporarily down.

ENDOWMENT AND SEALING PRECEDE SONSHIP. The Lord has given unto us privileges, and blessings and the opportunity of entering into covenants, of accepting ordinances that pertain to our salvation beyond what is preached in the world; beyond the principles of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, repentance from sin, and baptism for the remission of sins, and the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost; and these principles and covenants are received nowhere else but in the temple of God.
If you would become a son or daughter of God and an heir of the kingdom, then you must go to the house of the Lord and receive blessings which there can be obtained and which cannot be obtained elsewhere; and you must keep those commandments and those covenants to the end. . . .
Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol. 2, p. 40

“And virtually all the millions of apostate Christendom have abased themselves before the mythical throne of a mythical Christ whom they vainly suppose to be a spirit essence who is incorporeal uncreated, immaterial and three-in-one with the Father and Holy Spirit.”
Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, 1966, p.269

“It is true that many of the Christian churches worship a different Jesus Christ than is worshipped by the Mormons or The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
Bernard P. Brockbank, “The Living Christ,” Ensign (Conference Edition), May 1977, p. 26
Thank you for the respect.

And I would return the favor by saying, respectfully, you can have it both ways. It is because of that respect that I call you a Christian, even though I feel you do not fully understand the gospel of Jesus Christ. If you truly respect me, you would call me a Christian, even though you think I do not understand the gospel of Jesus Christ.

You can be a follower of Christ, even though you make some mistakes about him and his doctrines. If is difficult to navigate all the hundreds of NT translations. It is difficult to translate from the Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic languages and get the right nuances of the first century Christians so as to know exactly what they are meaning, so it is easy to get off track.

What is necessary is living Apostles and Prophets, who are receiving their information directly from Jesus Christ and the HS. Not from a bible commentary company.

Just keep in mind that followers of Jesus deserve to be called Christians.

Upvote 0