LDS What is the reward?

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
I continue to serve the Triune God, you follow your will or by God's mercy follow Christ.
I follow Christ and his God, God the Father.

You can follow the Triune God who is only about 1/4 supported from the bible.

IOW if there is a universe of scriptures that talk about the nature of God and His relationship to His Son Jesus Christ, only about 1/4 of these scriptures would give you a sense that there is a Triune God. The other 3/4 of the scriptures declare that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the HS are 3 distinct individuals, just like the Mormons believe.

So what do you do when you read a scripture from the bible that obviously separates God the Father from His Son Jesus Christ and the HS?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't drive me crazy! Who will be damned? He that believeth not!

John 3
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.
I believe the Son hath everlasting life. So according to John 3:36, I will be saved.

But according to Mark 16:16, just believing is not enough, so now what do we do? Which scripture do we discard?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I follow Christ and his God, God the Father.

You can follow the Triune God who is only about 1/4 supported from the bible.

IOW if there is a universe of scriptures that talk about the nature of God and His relationship to His Son Jesus Christ, only about 1/4 of these scriptures would give you a sense that there is a Triune God. The other 3/4 of the scriptures declare that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ and the HS are 3 distinct individuals, just like the Mormons believe.

So what do you do when you read a scripture from the bible that obviously separates God the Father from His Son Jesus Christ and the HS?

Scripture interprets scripture. The Bible is the word of God.

Mormons teach that there are multiple gods. God said otherwise.

Isaiah 43
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
11 I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour.

Isaiah 44
8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I believe the Son hath everlasting life. So according to John 3:36, I will be saved.

But according to Mark 16:16, just believing is not enough, so now what do we do? Which scripture do we discard?

If you believed in the Son you wouldn't defend the doctrines of Mormonism that are blatantly antibiblical.

Mormonism teaches a plurality of gods. God does not.

Isaiah 43 (KJV)
10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isaiah 44 (KJV)

8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God beside me? yea, there is no God; I know not any.

You misquoted John 3:36.

John 3 (KJV)
36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

Mark 16
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark 16:16 reiterates John 3:36.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
If you believed in the Son you wouldn't defend the doctrines of Mormonism that are blatantly antibiblical.

Are you trying to accuse LDS of believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are three different persons? If so, I plead guilty, along with every Trinitarian Christian. Do you consider this to be anti-Biblical?

Upvote 0

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Isaiah 43 (KJV)

Isaiah 44 (KJV)

You misquoted John 3:36.

John 3 (KJV)

Mark 16
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Mark 16:16 reiterates John 3:36.
Yes, it is for sure that 'he that believeth not the Son shall not see life'. That is a given. We both believe in this concept.

What is not a given and where John diverges from Mark is what will save a person. Mark says in order for a man to be saved he has to believe and be baptized. OTOH, John says that all you have to do to be saved is believe on the Son.

Do you see the difference in these 2 conflicting scriptures. (Mark is certainly not reiterating John as to how a man must be saved). So again, I ask, which one of these scriptures do you jettison from the bible? If you don't jettison one of them, then you cause confusion in the ranks of the believers. You can see that confusion between you and me. It is frustrating.

So tell me how we reconcile John 3:36 and Mark 16:16.
Remember we need to reconcile how a man is saved, not how a man is damned.

I can reconcile it, can you?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes, it is for sure that 'he that believeth not the Son shall not see life'. That is a given. We both believe in this concept.

What is not a given and where John diverges from Mark is what will save a person. Mark says in order for a man to be saved he has to believe and be baptized. OTOH, John says that all you have to do to be saved is believe on the Son.

Do you see the difference in these 2 conflicting scriptures. (Mark is certainly not reiterating John as to how a man must be saved). So again, I ask, which one of these scriptures do you jettison from the bible? If you don't jettison one of them, then you cause confusion in the ranks of the believers. You can see that confusion between you and me. It is frustrating.

So tell me how we reconcile John 3:36 and Mark 16:16.
Remember we need to reconcile how a man is saved, not how a man is damned.

I can reconcile it, can you?

No, you can't. A person is saved by an act of God, not of man. Nearly every church adheres to baptism. I've never attended one that doesn't. I haven't even heard of one that doesn't. Now, if baptism is required for salvation, please give us some more verses stressing its importance.

Now read your Bible and tell me how you reconcile Ephesians 2:8-9 with 2 Nephi 25:23.

Why does the JST read "Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; but it is the gift of God; 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast" ?

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you trying to accuse LDS of believe that the Father, Son, and Spirit are three different persons? If so, I plead guilty, along with every Trinitarian Christian. Do you consider this to be anti-Biblical?
She quite clearly accused mormons of believing in plural gods. And she's right - mormons are polytheists. You have many gods, not One God. And yes, mormons' polytheism is anti-Biblical, anti-Christian, and even demonic.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, you're falling back on the popular vote of sinners as you ruler. Did the popular vote of sinners make Paul a spokesmen of God? No! God made him that! Not scruintiy of sinners, not discernment of sinner, not validation of sinners, or any other process of sinners-- those are all completely irrelevant. We (you and I) are both Christian-- disciples of Christ! Not disciples of sinners-- look up to Him, not down to them.

I have given you a name repeatedly: Paul. Apostle chosen of God after Christ's life, received scripture and lead the church. Credentials = God picked him.
The problem with your continue persistance in the above regarding "popular vote of sinners" is you are being absolutely hypocritical! How can you believe the your 3 other standard works besides the Bible are from God? After all, they were voted on by your sinful bretheren were they not?? And anything spoken by your supposed prophets past or present needs to be voted on by your sinful bretheren to be considered scriptural, does it not?

How is that different than "Not scruintiy of sinners, not discernment of sinner, not validation of sinners, or any other process of sinners-- those are all completely irrelevant."???

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So are you denying that Jesus was fully man. That Jesus put his Godly status aside so as to experience the full weight of being a mortal?

Mormons believe that Jesus experienced everything that true manhood could throw at him, so that he could judge righteously those that went through the same ordeal.

Only 1 difference between me and Jesus. Jesus remained sinless thoughout this earthly experience, and that is why he can resurrect us and why he can atone for our sins.

So he was like us in every way except he remained sinless.
Seriously? That's the only difference between you and Jesus, because Jesus remained sinless? Are you God? Did you create the universe and everything in it? I could go on and on, but this is one of the most blasphemous things I have seen you write.

Your perception is totally skewed. He was not "like us in every way". We are to be like him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
No, you can't. A person is saved by an act of God, not of man. Nearly every church adheres to baptism. I've never attended one that doesn't. I haven't even heard of one that doesn't. Now, if baptism is required for salvation, please give us some more verses stressing its importance.

Now read your Bible and tell me how you reconcile Ephesians 2:8-9 with 2 Nephi 25:23.

Why does the JST read "Ephesians 2: 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; but it is the gift of God; 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast" ?
Simple: faith is a gift from God. There is no way we work our way to salvation. However, we must accept this gift from God by following His commands. This starts by having faith (aka accepting the gift of faith from God), repenting (which God prompts us to to and makes possible), and continues from there.

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
Mormon
The problem with your continue persistance in the above regarding "popular vote of sinners" is you are being absolutely hypocritical! How can you believe the your 3 other standard works besides the Bible are from God? After all, they were voted on by your sinful bretheren were they not?? And anything spoken by your supposed prophets past or present needs to be voted on by your sinful bretheren to be considered scriptural, does it not?

How is that different than "Not scruintiy of sinners, not discernment of sinner, not validation of sinners, or any other process of sinners-- those are all completely irrelevant."???
I believe that the current LDS prophets were mouthpieces of God, giving His message.

Do you likewise believe that the council members were prophets and mouth pieces of God to directly receive revelation from Him?

There's a HUGE difference.

Seriously? That's the only difference between you and Jesus, because Jesus remained sinless?
Peter1000 didn't say that.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟219,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that the current LDS prophets were mouthpieces of God, giving His message.
A message that has to be voted on by your sinful congregation for it to be a true "revelation".

Do you likewise believe that the council members were prophets and mouth pieces of God to directly receive revelation from Him?

There's a HUGE difference.
The council members were guided by the Holy Spirit.

Peter1000 didn't say that.
He sure did. I quoted what he said in my post. For your reference, I'll do it again, with bold.
So are you denying that Jesus was fully man. That Jesus put his Godly status aside so as to experience the full weight of being a mortal?

Mormons believe that Jesus experienced everything that true manhood could throw at him, so that he could judge righteously those that went through the same ordeal.

Only 1 difference between me and Jesus. Jesus remained sinless thoughout this earthly experience, and that is why he can resurrect us and why he can atone for our sins.

So he was like us in every way except he remained sinless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Peter1000

Nov 12, 2015
✟124,865.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Married

Yes I can. And this is how we do it.

When John says that if you believe in Jesus you will be saved, he is saying the truth. He knows this is just the starting point, but if you do not get past the starting point, the rest of the process becomes mute.

For instance John and Mormons believe that in order to be saved you need to believe and then you need the baptism of water and of the spirit. We know John knows this, but in John 3:36 he is just talking about the most important starting point.

What Mark says is absolutely the truth also. He says that you must believe and you must be baptised to be saved. This is absolutely the truth. He too, is not telling you all that you must do to be saved, but he does go 1 step further than John.

So that is how you reconile these 2 conflicting scriptures.

He did not change it because it is the truth. But again, you must understand JS understands the entire process of being saved in the K of G. This scripture in Ephesians is just 1 part of being saved.

The only difference in these 2 scriptures is the verbiage that 'after all that you can do'. You mainline Christian think that is the most blasphemous concept in all of Christendom.

To me, it has always made sense from reading the scriptures that we commit to do all that we can do to help build the K of God, and then because our good works is not enough to save us, Jesus gives us the free gift of grace and we make our way into the K of G.

If you want to believe that you only have to believe to be saved, (John 3:16) and you don't even have to have the baptism of the HS, that's up to you, but I think you will be surprized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Yes I can. And this is how we do it.

Guess what? I know the false teachings of Mormonism.

When John says that if you believe in Jesus you will be saved, he is saying the truth. He knows this is just the starting point,

Unless you are omniscient, you don't know what John knew.

but if you do not get past the starting point, the rest of the process becomes mute.

For instance John and Mormons believe that in order to be saved you need to believe and then you need the baptism of water and of the spirit.

John 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Man's first birth(the fleshy one) was from the womb. So if he needs to be born again it is of the Spirit. A third birth isn't mentioned.

Ephesians 2
3 Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest.

We know John knows this, but in John 3:36 he is just talking about the most important starting point.

So it's okay to follow false teachers and you must be baptized into the Mormon church and you need to get married in a Mormon temple?

What Mark says is absolutely the truth also. He says that you must believe and you must be baptised to be saved. This is absolutely the truth. He too, is not telling you all that you must do to be saved, but he does go 1 step further than John.

And then Mormons added a lot of laws and ordinances that are not Christ's commandments.

Mark 16:16

How many times is baptism mentioned in the Bible?

Luke 7
50 And he said to the woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace (εἰρήνη [eirēnē]) .

Romans 5
1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

So that is how you reconile these 2 conflicting scriptures.

He did not change it because it is the truth. But again, you must understand JS understands the entire process of being saved in the K of G. This scripture in Ephesians is just 1 part of being saved.

I take it that "JS" refers to Joseph Smith. He was a false prophet.

Salvation doesn't come is parts. Sanctification begins at salvation and is ongoing until death.

You can't see what Ephesians 2:1-10 is saying.

Ephesians 2:1-10 (KJV)

1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

4 But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,

5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)

6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

The only difference in these 2 scriptures is the verbiage that 'after all that you can do'. You mainline Christian think that is the most blasphemous concept in all of Christendom.

Why do you think you can read our thoughts? You aren't God. Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is worse than any other.

6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

To me, it has always made sense from reading the scriptures that we commit to do all that we can do to help build the K of God, and then because our good works is not enough to save us, Jesus gives us the free gift of grace and we make our way into the K of G.

What you call the Kingdom of God is the Mormon church.

This is what I believe:

John 5:24 (KJV)
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Ephesians 2
1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

1 John 5
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

God quickened me when I was dead in sins.

1 John 3
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

If you want to believe that you only have to believe to be saved, (John 3:16) and you don't even have to have the baptism of the HS, that's up to you, but I think you will be surprized.

Why are you rudely stating that when I've explained over and over again that Christians are being sanctified?

1 John 4
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins...

19 We love him, because he first loved us.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

How many times do Christians have to tell you that we LOVE God?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
A message that has to be voted on by your sinful congregation for it to be a true "revelation".

And you know that if you don't raise your right hand, you'll have to talk to the bishop who believed the prophet's words, and the members will think ill of you.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Only 1 difference between me and Jesus. Jesus remained sinless thoughout this earthly experience, and that is why he can resurrect us...

Can you resurrect yourself as Jesus did?

Upvote 0