What is the best TV channel for evolution?

What is the best TV channel for evolution?

• A&E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Animal Planet

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Comedy Central

• Cosmos

• Discovery

• History

• PBS

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • SyFy

• Other

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zosimus

Non-Christian non-evolution believer
Oct 3, 2013
Lima, Peru
✟17,000.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Experience has shown it to be true.
Let me see if I understand your reasoning. When saying that experience has shown it to be true, you are claiming that this principle has worked well for you in the past. The assumption, therefore, is that what has worked in the past will also work in the future.

Why should I believe that the past is a good guide to the future? Will you also say, "Experience has shown this to be true?"

In short, you will say that you know that the past is a good guide to the future because it has worked in the past and will, therefore, presumably work equally well in the future? Isn't this circular logic?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Let me see if I understand your reasoning. When saying that experience has shown it to be true, you are claiming that this principle has worked well for you in the past. The assumption, therefore, is that what has worked in the past will also work in the future.

Why should I believe that the past is a good guide to the future? Will you also say, "Experience has shown this to be true?"

In short, you will say that you know that the past is a good guide to the future because it has worked in the past and will, therefore, presumably work equally well in the future? Isn't this circular logic?

I am saying that when there have been two competing explanations for something, one of which is simple and the other complicated, it is usually the simplest one that is correct. This has happened countless times before.

After all, I can explain away my microwave by claiming magical pixies do the cooking, and I can explain the magical pixies by saying that they are created by a baby's first laugh, and I can explain how a baby's laugh turns into pixies by some other convoluted stuff, but it becomes needlessly complicated after a while, doesn't it? And yet, I could create a convoluted pixie explanation which still matches perfectly with what we see and explains all the scientific results we get from investigating microwaves. The scientific explanation, being simpler, is by far a better explanation.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Would creationists watch any channels that had programmes about evolution on them? if they had any sense they would but I doubt it very much indeed.
The only way creationism is ever going to remain true for someone is if they never question what they have been told,
if they believe and remain ignorant of any opposing arguments they should remain creationists until the day they die.

A little snippet for creationist in the US, if you have enough money in the UK you can start your own school teaching whatever subjects you want as long as you included the national curriculum, [math, English, science etc.] you were also able to teach creationism....... that has now been banned, creationism can no longer be taught in any school outside of the religious knowledge class in the UK.

https://humanism.org.uk/2014/06/18/...es-free-schools-teaching-creationism-science/

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Would creationists watch any channels that had programmes about evolution on them?
If they so choose.
Jan Volkes said:
if they had any sense they would but I doubt it very much indeed.
Why don't you make a poll and see?
Jan Volkes said:
The only way creationism is ever going to remain true for someone is if they never question what they have been told,
What if others question them?
Jan Volkes said:
if they believe and remain ignorant of any opposing arguments they should remain creationists until the day they die.
No argument there.

I believe evolution's antithesis -- therefore I don't need to understand evolution.
Jan Volkes said:
A little snippet for creationist in the US, if you have enough money in the UK you can start your own school teaching whatever subjects you want as long as you included the national curriculum, [math, English, science etc.] you were also able to teach creationism....... that has now been banned, creationism can no longer be taught in any school outside of the religious knowledge class in the UK.
A little snippet for evolutionists in the UK, some believe the Antichrist is going to come from Europe.

Upvote 0

Jan Volkes

Jun 24, 2015
UK
✟2,674.00
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
A little snippet for evolutionists in the UK, some believe the Antichrist is going to come from Europe.
An Antichrist? was there ever a Christ? people believe there was but then people also believed there was a Cyclops and a
Gorgon and dozens of other weird and wonderful things, how much evidence there is for these things is pretty flimsy to say the least, in those times if people could imagine a thing they thought it must have existed somewhere at sometime, if someone said they saw it then it was taken for granted that it was true, miracles were true because people said they had seen them, what more proof would anyone need? every map had unknown places where it was written 'There be Dragons'.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2 John 1:7 said
Yes.

We need to make a distinction between ANTICHRISTS and THE ANTICHRIST.

Just like we need to make a distinction between MESSIAHS and THE MESSIAH.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Before you can have the antichrist you must first have the Christ, was there a Christ? surely just believing there was is not enough?
QV please:
Virtually all modern scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed historically, and historians consider the Synoptic Gospels (Mark, Matthew and Luke) to be the best sources for investigating the historical Jesus.
SOURCE

It is no longer a question of whether Jesus existed or not.

It has been settled by consensus of opinion among historians.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes.

We need to make a distinction between ANTICHRISTS and THE ANTICHRIST.

Just like we need to make a distinction between MESSIAHS and THE MESSIAH.

And where does the Europe idea come from then? Do you just hate Europe for some reason?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When it says "The European Union is clearly the fulfillment" I had to question what their definition of 'clearly' is.

And if by Antichrist, you mean the Beasts spoken of in Revelation, it says the first one will come from the sea and the second one will come from the earth. Of course Revelation is one of the most complex and difficult to interpret books of the Bible, so that might not be literal, but if it's not I couldn't tell you for sure what it does mean.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
yes, i would say past events is a reasonably good place to start when analyzing a problem.
the only other recourse is to take a wild stab in the dark.

for example:
i say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,
okay, that's the past.
what would be your logical response as to what comes next?
the most reasonable answer based on the past would be 7.
a wild guess in the dark would be a strauss opera.

it does always work that way, but past experiences is always a good place to start.
unless you like reinventing the wheel.

Upvote 0

whois

rational
Mar 7, 2015
✟3,336.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I would suggest that mathematics and logic exist outside of time so do not make the best examples for this argument, but gravity makes a nice example. If I take the laptop that I am typing this message on to my balcony(8th floor apartment) and hold it at arm's length and let go, we all would think it will fall and be destroyed. A wild guess would be to say it would turn into a lollipop. :)
it was the simplest analogy i could think of.

the fact remains though, past experiences are definitely worth looking at when gauging what could happen in the future.
like i said, it doesn't always work, but it's a lot better than taking wild stabs all the time.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,911,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When it says "The European Union is clearly the fulfillment" I had to question what their definition of 'clearly' is.

And if by Antichrist, you mean the Beasts spoken of in Revelation, it says the first one will come from the sea and the second one will come from the earth. Of course Revelation is one of the most complex and difficult to interpret books of the Bible, so that might not be literal, but if it's not I couldn't tell you for sure what it does mean.
Then what's this 'hate Europe' bologna you asked me?

Upvote 0