What is the age of accountabilty to get saved and accept Jesus?

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We hear and preach if someone has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior they are not saved and will not get eternal life. I remember watching TV preachers say by 13yrs old a child needs to make that decision and some people think that is too young as they child might not know what they are doing and some think that decision should be made sooner than that.

Assuming they don't suffer from any mental issues and can think and comprehend fine, at what age should a child/teenager to young adult be held accountable for making that decision to accept Jesus and become saved?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,076,850.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
We hear and preach if someone has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior they are not saved and will not get eternal life. I remember watching TV preachers say by 13yrs old a child needs to make that decision and some people think that is too young as they child might not know what they are doing and some think that decision should be made sooner than that.

Assuming they don't suffer from any mental issues and can think and comprehend fine, at what age should a child/teenager to young adult be held accountable for making that decision to accept Jesus and become saved?

I do not believe there is an age of accountability. But there is a time that the Lord will knock at the door, at that time an individual is accountable to open that door. Here is a video of a baby who is catching on real fast!

Baby worship!!!!! (As Seen On TV) This honestly shocked me to see baby Ava worshipping - YouTube

Upvote 0
T

Tiredknight

I totally believe in the age of accountability. but it is not a set age. People who say that it is at age 13 have a huge issue to deal with. What happens if the child dies at age 12 and 364 days? Is the child damned straight to hell?

I personally beleive what C.H. Spurgeon said. "If a child can knowingly sin, the child the can knowingly be saved." that is the age of accountability, when the child can knowingly sin.

The bible says that we must confess our sin and call upon the name of the lord to be saved. That we must believe in Jesus Christ to gain ever lasting life. (John 3:16) (Romans 10:13)

I also believe that God is merciful and that God is a righteous judge and that the opposite of what C.H. Spurgeon is true. I have no biblical evidence to back this up except that God is Merciful and just. THat if a person can't knowingly sin. then that person can't be saved, and is protected.

For example, MY family was friends with family that adopted and took care of special needs children. They had a daughter with Trisome 18. She was blind, deaf, and mute. She had no cognitive function past that of a 1 year old. I do not believe that she could understand what sin was, that she could sin, or who Jesus was. I believe that Christ will take care of her and bring her home. Since all life is precious in God's eyes, I can not see him damning her to hell simply because she is in capable of confessing Christ.

But those cases of people not understanding and not being able to confess are far and few between.

All this to say, This is why from the moment my child exits the womb and I can hold them and talk to them, they will know who Jesus is. They will know what sin is, and they have every opportunity to know Christ. For we brought nothing into this world and we can take nothing out, but i will try my hardest to make sure People go with me!

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
About 3 or 4 or 5
My son who was 6 then heard a preaching from his father about 'the not so pleasant place' where you go when you don't believe, so he tried to convert his little brother, who just turned 3 and said: you have to accept Jesus in your heart now and repent of your sins, otherwise you go to the not so pleasant place. Poor kid. Needless to say he had no idea what he was talking about and accepted the Lord when he was 4, but I heard a testimony of a woman who was saved with 3 and spoke in tongues. Think it depends on the kid.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟906,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it varies from person to person. When God once drew a line of accountability based on age, he chose 20. What I'd take from that is by age 20 everyone is accountable.
What happens if someone is 20 but has the mind of say a six year old?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Assuming they don't suffer from any mental issues and can think and comprehend fine.

I dont think it is a set age for that, but if a child has heard about Jesus, i truly think by 15-18 yrs old they need to make that decision, because once they go out into the world, if they dont have that in them they will just blend right in.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That's between God and the individual, it's honestly something I do not worry myself over.

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't know. All I know is that when God decided who would enter the promised land and who would die in the wilderness, he drew the line at 20.

I believe that was a one-time historical event that we can use for our instruction. Today things are more personalized. I know I was accountable at 16.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's between God and the individual, it's honestly something I do not worry myself over.

Not something to worry over, but rather if you had a child and taught him the bible, at what age do you hope they would make that decision?

Nothing worse than thinking your child has rejected salvation and if they died that would be on your mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not something to worry over, but rather if you had a child and taught him the bible, at what age do you hope they would make that decision?

Nothing worse than thinking your child has rejected salvation and if they died that would be on your mind.

I would hope they make the decision when they are capable of truly making that decision. I have nothing to show me a line in the sand, again, that's between God and the individual. From my personal observations, people mature and understand things at different times/rates/ages.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Too much Gnosticism here.

If salvation is based on the ability to comprehend, then we're all doomed.

If, however, salvation is based on actual living faith, which is NOT INTELLECTUAL, then that's an entirely different story.

Age-accountability is not orthodox and quite Gnostic.

Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

When they know right from wrong, and can comprehend the consequences of choices between the two.

There is no strict age that can be generalized for all people in all circumstances.

Is it not the same for any good earthly parents and their children? I would not punish my child for doing something wrong if I knew that he or she was yet incapable of understanding.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Corrie ten Boom worked with kids who were mentally disabled. They didn't understand a lot she said, but they did when she spoke about God. The Kingdom is for kids to enter and it's spiritual, God is able to show them. You don't need a fully developed brain in order to understand it.

Upvote 0
T

Tiredknight

Too much Gnosticism here.

If salvation is based on the ability to comprehend, then we're all doomed.

If, however, salvation is based on actual living faith, which is NOT INTELLECTUAL, then that's an entirely different story.

Age-accountability is not orthodox and quite Gnostic.

How do you know?

What do you do with John 3? Or Romans 10:13?

Upvote 0