What is/are the purpose/s of marriage in this century?

invisiblebabe

He will restore the years the locust hath eaten
Feb 12, 2004
Second star to the right, and straight on 'til mor
✟20,234.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Marriage is still supposed to be what it was always designed for - a model of Christ's relationship with the Church - a permanent, exclusive relationship built on love.

Just because society is getting more and more clueless about the permanent and exclusive elements of marriage, doesn't mean the meaning or purpose of marriage has changed.

Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Marriage isn't losing its relevance. It might be less necessary for some couples, and it might be more necessary for others, for various reasons.

Some people think getting married isn't a requirement for a healthy, long-term, committed relationship, that it's just a piece of paper.

Some people think getting married is a right that should be afforded to everyone, and in whatever situation they might be in, they want to marry as a symbol of their healthy, long-term, committed relationship.

For many people, getting married is still an almost innate inclination, the natural next-step to show their love for another person. I would say for most people who get married, or who want to get married, it's for that reason. For love, for unity, for the tangible evidence of their commitment to their spouse.

Upvote 0

HippiePoser

Jan 13, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟15,654.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think so. There are people that understand the (Christian) purpose of marriage, and there are people that don't see it as a permanent commitment, and then, there are MANY people in between. Marriage means different things to different people, and who are we do define what "marriage" means to them?

Upvote 0

Birbitt

Mar 10, 2008
Arizona
Visit site
✟17,763.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think marriage is loosing its relevance but I do believe that there are many both Christians and non-Christians that have forgotten some of the most important things about a marriage, but those that hold marriage in the high respect that it deserves it matters to them. I just think that as a whole our country needs to do a better job of educating our young children as to what marriage is and how we are supposed to approach that subject. Children need to be taught not just what not to do before marriage but what to do when married.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Marriage isn't losing its relevance. It might be less necessary for some couples, and it might be more necessary for others, for various reasons.

Some people think getting married isn't a requirement for a healthy, long-term, committed relationship, that it's just a piece of paper.

Some people think getting married is a right that should be afforded to everyone, and in whatever situation they might be in, they want to marry as a symbol of their healthy, long-term, committed relationship.

For many people, getting married is still an almost innate inclination, the natural next-step to show their love for another person. I would say for most people who get married, or who want to get married, it's for that reason. For love, for unity, for the tangible evidence of their commitment to their spouse.

:thumbsup: QFT

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My newly married daughter and her husband were apartment hunting in what will seen be their new home, Burlington Vt. (Help! Anyone from there? There is such a housing shortage!!)

While chatting with one landlady, they were told "Oh, you're married! How quaint. No one does that anymore."

The reports of the death of the institution are been greatly exaggerated.

Upvote 0

LovebirdsFlying

My husband drew this cartoon of me.
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Aug 13, 2007
Washington (the state)
✟852,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is getting married losing its relevance?
For the secular world, maybe. But I view marriage as a spiritual committment between husband, wife, and God. No earthly law defining who may or may not marry, no earthly law defining what rituals one must go through in order to be considered married, need be involved as far as I'm concerned. When Mike and I formally tie the knot (the date is now officially set! November 7!) it will be for legal protection only. We already consider ourselves married, since we have committed to each other and to God.

(LOL at Invisiblebabe's "kids." :D )

Upvote 0

Antje

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver
✟16,568.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think the gays and lesbians (etc.) are sending the world a pretty strong message that marrriage DOES still matter. They want marriage, and they want it for real, not just "civil unions" or whatever. Isn't it a little ironic that a group that is so excluded from the church is directing everyone's attention back to the fact that a legal marriage is in fact very important and very desirable?

(This is not intended to derail the conversation into a homosexuality debate. I'm just pointing out that a very "unlikely" demographic is insisting that marriage is still very relevant and very important. That's all. Please do not turn this into a derailing situation.)

Reactions: moonkitty
Upvote 0