Alyssum

Follower of Jesus
Mar 8, 2010
✟15,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Many years ago I read The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. I thought it was a very good book, so good in fact that I never got rid of it. It sits on my shelf with other books that have spurred me on in my Christian walk.

Recently I read "somewhere" that "someone" thought Brother Lawrence was a Christian mystic. (Now I wish I could remember where I read it and who that "someone" was who said it. :doh:) Even more recently I heard the term "Christian mystic" again.

What in the world is a Christian mystic?

Alyssum

Follower of Jesus
Mar 8, 2010
✟15,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
someone who has direct intereacction with God, either through visions or just through feeling His Spirit move through you in a very personal way

The Holy Spirit moving through a person in a way that is contrary to Scripture? Is that what you are saying? Then it would not be the Holy Spirit, but perhaps someone's emotions or another "spirit" altogether. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit moving through a person in a way that is contrary to Scripture? Is that what you are saying? Then it would not be the Holy Spirit, but perhaps someone's emotions or another "spirit" altogether. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
really, in a sense, all of christianity is a mystic religion
it is experianceing God in a personal way, not agianst scripture, all of the good mystics had the highest respect for the Bible and a great love of it
here is a link that might help you more
Christian mysticism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,512.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Then it would not be the Holy Spirit, but perhaps someone's emotions or another "spirit" altogether. Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.
Actually this response answers your initial question. "Christian Mysticism" is the name of what has been practiced by some Catholics and Jewish peoples for a very long time and is becoming popular in Protestant circles these days as well, but it's not Christian. It's more related to Eastern Pagan Mysticism than anything Christian. You will see it more currently in things like "contemplative prayer" which involves emptying your mind and possibly focusing on a small chant. Personally I would toss the Brother Lawrence book in favour of something more biblical.

Upvote 0

Alyssum

Follower of Jesus
Mar 8, 2010
✟15,566.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Actually this response answers your initial question. "Christian Mysticism" is the name of what has been practiced by some Catholics and Jewish peoples for a very long time and is becoming popular in Protestant circles these days as well, but it's not Christian. It's more related to Eastern Pagan Mysticism than anything Christian. You will see it more currently in things like "contemplative prayer" which involves emptying your mind and possibly focusing on a small chant. Personally I would toss the Brother Lawrence book in favour of something more biblical.

Thank you, desmalia. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green

Obviously no, it is a little more broad than that. Christian mysticism has been around since about the 3rd century. It isn't all pagan by a long shot. I'd keep Brother Lawrence.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing Christian when it comes to Christian Mysticism. God never tells us to empty our brains and repeat a word or phrase over and over. You are opening yourself to evil spirits when you do that. Instead read your Bible and study it. There are plenty of resources on the internet that can give you all the dangers of this practice on the internet.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
There is nothing Christian when it comes to Christian Mysticism. God never tells us to empty our brains and repeat a word or phrase over and over. You are opening yourself to evil spirits when you do that. Instead read your Bible and study it. There are plenty of resources on the internet that can give you all the dangers of this practice on the internet.
a lot of new age stuff is going under the name Christian Mysticism
and it is very very dangerous

I have not read the book the OP mentions, but I do not think it is this New Age type of Mysticism

I am not trying to debate, i just want to make sure you are not mistaken about what the OP is talking about
the words Christian Mysticism might have a very differant meaning depending on who uses them even now, much less back in the 1600's when Brother Lawrance was alive

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
What in the world is a Christian mystic?
According to the website The Christian Mystic Explained ...
"A person concerned not with knowing the letter of the Word, or religious dogmas, but with knowing the Spirit of the Word, which is to say living from within the experience of God’s word at the very core of being. A mystic, quite simply, is a lover of God who pursues the beloved from a deep realization that life as a Christian is evolving as the soul moves toward its fullness and destiny in relationship to God."
A Buddhist who reads the Bible, in other words. It's New Ageism. If you don't care to know the letter, or the doctrines (rudely described as "dogma" here) you can't possibly know the motivation for what the word says, or its proper application. Here is another great indicator of where their spiritualism lies, from the same website:
To travel into the world of the Christian mystic, one must discard concepts such as ego, pride and spiritual materialism in favor of adopting a sense of humility and hopeful expectation. It is to begin a great and stirring adventure that moves the soul from the kingdom of darkness to the Kingdom of God.
Straight out of the Buddhist handbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
According to the website The Christian Mystic Explained ...
"A person concerned not with knowing the letter of the Word, or religious dogmas, but with knowing the Spirit of the Word, which is to say living from within the experience of God’s word at the very core of being. A mystic, quite simply, is a lover of God who pursues the beloved from a deep realization that life as a Christian is evolving as the soul moves toward its fullness and destiny in relationship to God."
A Buddhist who reads the Bible, in other words. It's New Ageism. If you don't care to know the letter, or the doctrines (rudely described as "dogma" here) you can't possibly know the motivation for what the word says, or its proper application.
Personally I think that you're misconstruing what that site is saying, albeit it isn't saying it very well, as you say it's impossible to begin to come to an understanding of the Spirit of the word without knowing the letter of the word, from my point of view what they're trying to describe in part here is the process which starts in Lectio Divina, a form of Bible reading where one meditates upon scripture.

Here is another great indicator of where their spiritualism lies, from the same website:
To travel into the world of the Christian mystic, one must discard concepts such as ego, pride and spiritual materialism in favor of adopting a sense of humility and hopeful expectation. It is to begin a great and stirring adventure that moves the soul from the kingdom of darkness to the Kingdom of God.
Straight out of the Buddhist handbook.
I'm not really sure that that is, we are called to follow Christ and while they don't point to Christ here (somewhat disconcerting) as the basis for our discarding of ego and pride and picking up the virtues of humility and hopeful expectation (cf. Phil 2) I don't think the accusations of Buddha on the Cross are viable:

To start, it is enough to understand that a "Christian Mystic" is a person who wholly accepts the lordship of Jesus through humility and finds the biblical teachings, life and resurrection of Jesus Christ, to present for them, the only way to grow in relationship with God.

Briefly, it would be misleading to simply assume that the way of Christ is easy. To embrace the Christian mystic tradition is to invite misunderstanding, abuse, and, to a great extent, persecution topped off with intense spiritual warfare. Yet, no journey is without difficulty and, in this case, one has the encouragement of Paul, who stated, "Not I, but Christ who lives in me."​

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some folks will ascribe to "mysticism" anything beyond academics~that is, for some Christianity is simply a logic-based faith stripped of anything mysterious. Even the local Lifeway Bookstore (Baptist) sells books like Brother Lawrence's book (he was a monk) and The Dark Night of the Soul (by St John of the Cross, a Dominican monk). A faith stripped of mystery is simply philosophy.

As Rhamiel has stated though there is a lot of really weird weirdness out there under the guise of "Christian Mysticism"~veneered evil...this is the kind of area where you'd need to have an older, wiser elder/pastor's guidance...but recognize even the act of prayer has a sense of mystery to it.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hamster_flower_hat.gif

This thread has gone through a clean up and some posts have been deleted or edited by Staff to remove rule violations -or- because the post responded to a post that was removed due to a rule violation.

Please make sure that any comments that you are sharing DO NOT PROMOTE any unorthodox beliefs of Christianity that would go against CF's Statement of Faith. If you're not sure, bring up your ideas in the Unorthodox Theology forum.

If you have any questions, please let me or another Staff member know-- thank you for your patience while Staff reviewed this thread. :wave: The thread will now be re-opened.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
If we are not careful though we will cut off intimate prayer by calling it mysticism. When a Christian prays in their prayer closet, they are to be alone with God. To know Gods presence and to in a sense meet with Him there. It is as important to experience God in secret prayer as it is to read and understand scripture. I think people like Andrew Murray, AW. Tozer, and Leonard Ravenhill are good examples of this in our modern day. Certain Jesus' prayer life was more mystic than what we seem to make out prayer to be (at least from what I've seen), maybe mystic isn't the best term, but we are certainly to be in His presence every day. To be filled with God's Spirit, and also to be still and know He is God.

Upvote 0