What is a Christian Gamer?

DanielReeLee

Sep 17, 2012
✟119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I made this thread because my pastor told me about something pretty cool. He told us how to be a Christian Gamer. Back then he was a pro at Starcraft I and he never cheated. He then told us that he moved to Counter Strike. He told us that we got to encourage our opponents even if you beat them. I figured out that I should also help out new players get into the game. My pastor said that if you playing attitude is good, people will look up to you and then you can get them into Christ. I thought that was pretty cool and that was something I should've done when playing Battlefield 3. I admit that I was very bad at it except being a sniper, sniping was the only thing I was good at. I remember that I never tea bagged anyone [strange bf3 tradition] and never cursed [another bf3 tradition]. I should've helped out the new players a little with sniping. Let me know your thoughts and experiences.

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I never tea bagged anyone [strange bf3 tradition] and never cursed [another bf3 tradition].

Okay no, these two things have been common practice since the beginning of FPS play.

Anyways, being a Christian gamer is using your manners at the dinner table, even if everyone else is flaming and trolling. I don't try to evangelize to random people over gaming servers though. I've never seen positive results from that, only increased hostility.

A friend of mine was in the Starcraft II Goldmaster top 50 tournament held in China about a year ago. Complimented every opponent at the end of each game. I think he won $1,000 just for participating, or something like that.

Upvote 0

DanielReeLee

Sep 17, 2012
✟119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
GrizzlyMonKeH said:
Anyways, being a Christian gamer is using your manners at the dinner table, even if everyone else is flaming and trolling. I don't try to evangelize to random people over gaming servers though. I've never seen positive results from that, only increased hostility.

I remember I did that once. In bf3 you can make custom servers and I was on a knife only server. Everybody was using anything but a knife. One of my teammates was raging on how bad our team was. I have never seen anyone rage as this guy did, nobody rages this much on bf3 (most people stay silent or talk strategy). He raged on my about why I didn't have much kills. I told him it was a knife only server then I shut my mic. The thing is that you shouldn't evangelize to random people as you said but instead to people you look up to you and trust you.

Upvote 0

Moopz

A child and fool for Christ!
Sep 25, 2012
Austin, TX
✟7,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is sounding more and more like multi-level marketing when I see posts like this...

Well, for Christians we are called to be holy in everything that we do, and to give God glory in every thing that we do. The scripture doesn't make an allowance for a "Secular" life and a "Sacred" life, but everything that we do should fall under this type of consideration. Live in the world but not of the world, right?

--

As for being a Christian gamer, I would think that it would just refer to how you "color" your gameplay really. How are you outside of gaming? Your Christian life outside of gaming should be carried over to gaming. Be loving toward others, forgiving if things don't go your way, seek to be of assistance to others if you are doing any sort of MMO type stuff when permissable (obviously if you are in a death match of any sort you wouldn't want to help the opponents nuke your team :p). In everything that Jesus did he applied the scriptures 1 Corinthians 10:24 and Phillippians 2:4. All it takes to be a Christian gamer is to seek the glory of Christ, even there. All of the unconditional love and appreciation you read about in the word belongs even in the realm of gaming.

Upvote 0

Barricade24

Feb 3, 2012
In a Chair
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay no, these two things have been common practice since the beginning of FPS play.

A friend of mine was in the Starcraft II Goldmaster top 50 tournament held in China about a year ago. Complimented every opponent at the end of each game. I think he won $1,000 just for participating, or something like that.

I think this kind of sums it up. Be nice to people even when they aren't nice to you. Help other players with completing something or just play with them. Good stuff like that.

Upvote 0

Core90

May 8, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟7,713.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I helped lead someone to Christ that I met on Runescape.
He was afraid to ask his dad about reading the Bible and going to church and also struggling with the same addiction as me (inappropriate content) , and was curious about why I thought it was a bad thing. He then got involved in church and youth.
So even while gaming it's a good idea to be Christian.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Acebopata

The red wasp of the salted
Jan 11, 2012
The land of mass construction.
✟7,698.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't always play online and when I do, I'm usually quiet due to not having a microphone. (Thing is, I get a hold of a mic while playing a game, I usually start reciting poetry or yacking in strange words no one understands.

Upvote 0