What impact does music have on you?

B

BlueLioness

For me it varies.

Music has mostly impacted my life in positive ways. I was diagnosed with depression and listening to music has helped lift my spirits (even much more than those pills the doctor prescribed to me). At other times music can make me feel pumped up if it is fast and with a lot of percussion.

It can also give me a burst of energy!

Music has touched me emotionally too, not just physically. It has made me feel happy, even inspired. Or it has filled me with a sense of awe.

Music never really has any kind of negative affect on me. That is why I like it so much.

Omah1970

Nov 28, 2014
✟11,672.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
This is a good question! As a person who deals with depression and bi polar disorder I use music as a means of therapy whether its whether its Metal to Madame Butterfly I dont care what it is if it uplifts im listening to it if it helps im listening to it. Im a big fan of Dan Simmons Solitudes and Loreena Mckennits material and Enigmas first 3 cds for just good peaceful moments in my day. I like fast aggressive music as well especially in the Christian Metal category. I can relate to them more than I ever could to the nasal snort Southern Gospel stuff I was raised on and made to believe that was the only art the Lord ever created in music form. People do love there certainty and selective literalism. Iim also a sucker for ballads though I love the music of Plumb and Placebo and Amy Lee they do some very good haunting ballads that are very heartfelt. I like bands that sing about real life issues stuff about dealing with depression, suicide, injustice, anger, fear, hope and joy stuff I relate too. Music is very important to me in all its artistic forms because it is an art form. God is a beautiful wonderful artist with beautiful tastes :amen:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Music can really affect your mood, believe me, whether it has lyrics or not. Wanna feel awesome? Listen to some fast-paced, epic music. Wanna feel sad? Listen to something melancholy. Want to be disturbed? Listen to something creepy (spooky music exists). Want to be flooded with nostalgia? Listen to something that has a special meaning for you.

I use music all the time when I write. I practically NEED some sort of music when I'm reading or writing to match the setting, atmosphere, tone, etc. For that reason, most of my favorite music is video game music, which obviously doesn't have anybody singing. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of good people-sung songs, but word-free music can be used in all sorts of contexts. I kind of wish more Christians appreciated that stuff. Like people ask me what kind of music I listen to, and I can't answer, because it's just anything my ears can get ahold of!:D That and it's all soundtracks from stuff that they've probably never heard of, which is too difficult to explain to them.

But basically, I've got a huge collection, yet I don't actually use the Ipod I technically have. That's mainly because the music I want can't be downloaded on iTunes, although I think there are some other places where you can download it (legally, since the music I'd be looking for would have been uploaded by its creators, and possibly I'd have to pay for it), like bandcamp or soundcloud or something. Not sure, though, I don't really know how all of that stuff works :/

Until then, I just favorite Youtube webpages where somebody has uploaded the music I want. Awkward, sure, but I just organize it all and listen to it whenever I want to for free:p

Upvote 0

three4rd

Feb 23, 2015
✟15,187.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As a musician for over 50 years, music is an inseparable part of me. I cannot imagine living without it. Often I'll hear a piece that is linked to a certain time and place. Also, all my creative and artistic energy expresses itself through writing and performing music.

Reactions: DaisyMae
Upvote 0

John The Recorder Player

Jun 9, 2015
Somewhere in the Midwest.
✟7,750.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

For me it varies.

Music has mostly impacted my life in positive ways. I was diagnosed with depression and listening to music has helped lift my spirits (even much more than those pills the doctor prescribed to me). At other times music can make me feel pumped up if it is fast and with a lot of percussion.

Music has touched me emotionally too, not just physically. It has made me feel happy, even inspired. Or it has filled me with a sense of awe.

Music never really has any kind of negative affect on me. That is why I like it so much.
Music, listening, performing and composing (well trying to compose) has played a huge part in my life. My life would be much different without Music. I have a severe seizure disorder and music has been therapeutic, especially playing music. I started playing the bass in 3rd grade, switched to Cello in 6th and haven't looked back.

Upvote 0

SOMM

Jul 20, 2015
Perth, Australia
Visit site
✟366.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Music's effect on me is quite varied I think, but mostly comes down to the lyrics. It does get me stoked and pumped when its heavy, but I think the biggest impact is from what they talk about. Funny, though, 'cause I don't really remember lyrics too well. :)

All I know is music is a powerful medium to impact people. I've been all over the world performing music and even when people don't speak English, they are still impacted by it. They still come to watch/listen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristianGirlChristian

Christian Girl Named Christian
Aug 4, 2015
USA (that's all I will say, sorry)
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Music always helps me. In church my favorite part is the singing. I feel closest to God when I sing. When I am down, sometimes I'll go play the piano or listen to music. Typically, the songs i listen to are encouraging. I don't like listening to most of the "popular" music because most dont have a posiive message overall. But Music is a big part of my life.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Music fills the empty spaces when I wind up alone for hours, provides a soundtrack for my dreams, relaxes me or energizes me (depends on what I listen to when), reminds me I am not the only one to feel a certain way, clues the family into how I feel (kids know I'm homesick if I am listening to BOC, Ceili Rain, Double Axel, Duke Jupiter, Gowan and Great Lake Swimmers).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sunsurfkdt

Nov 29, 2015
US
✟15,783.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
You have to be so careful what you listen to. I did not notice when I was young because I did not know any better and its what alot of my friends liked and it was on MTV . but now I can see what my music choices did to me. First of all, I listened to tons of alternative music, my favorite! I wanted to be a rockstar...I wasn't Gothic or skater I was a "pretty, girly" rockstar. Lol. But it really made me very deep way too young. I was very thoughtful. And insightful and wrote poetry. But it depresses you, only I didn't notice it then. Now recently I went back to those songs I hadn't heard since I was 15...while I still like the songs...all of them were so bad! And when I turned the music I was like hmmm... I don't like how I feel. Lol ummm all my friends made fun of ludacris what's ur fantasy ...an extremely filthy song. But we were young...we didn't know. Just innocent kids being exposed to garbage.

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian

For me it varies.

I feel exactly the same for nearly everything you posted. I listen to Heavy Metal when I'm down. The lyrics I can relate too and the music helps vent frustration. I love older trance for times when I am relaxing and happy which sadly is rare these days. Metal is my therapy so to speak.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Music definitely has different effects on me depending on the style, lyrical content (if any) and my mood at the time. It is not always positive.

Some music from the late 60s and early 70s has a psychedelic effect on me - almost like a mild acid trip. (even though I never did any drugs)

Some music (including some up beat pop and classical) can certainly cheer me up when I am down. Some blues and most Country can make me "down." Abstract jazz can give me a very bizarre mood that I cannot describe.

Upvote 0