What foods do you like that nobody else in your life has even heard of?

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Taco Pizza from Pizza Hut. I've traveled and asked for it in 6 different states but the only place they offer it is in my hometown in Michigan. Sad times.
That is strange. :D

Reactions: traingosorry
Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most of the people in my life haven't heard of the following things that I eat:

Quinoa
Borlotti beans
Chia seeds
Wakame (seaweed)
Brown Basmatti Rice (they've heard of Basmatti, but all the kinds sold in the supermarket are usually white)

Most people in my life have heard of, but do not eat regularly:

Chickpeas
Lentils
Borlotti/Pinto/Black/Soy beans
Tofu
Cashews
Sunflower/Flax/Pumpkin seeds

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Kulfi, rasgulla, pera, barfi, halva ... you see where this is going, right? They make me sick as a dog but being so tasty how can anyone resist?

Ever heard of "aquired taste"? Our tastes are aquired, not innate. As much as I hate cheese (a lifelong hate) - I *could* learn to like it if I ate it regularly and changed my thoughts about it. Fortunately, that will never happen because I don't see it as a healthy food.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Ever heard of "aquired taste"? Our tastes are aquired, not innate. As much as I hate cheese (a lifelong hate) - I *could* learn to like it if I ate it regularly and changed my thoughts about it. Fortunately, that will never happen because I don't see it as a healthy food.

I understand that ;)
It's more of a "I like it, it makes me vomit, I like the taste too much to stop having them on an irregular basis". I don't think you can learn to like, tolerate perhaps, but not like. I can't stomach soy products because the taste makes me retch and it was an (attempted) regular part of my childhood due to dairy allergies. Yet halva, an infrequent treat, still delights the taste buds. My family constantly gave me baked beans, and I still find them wretched. Taste, texture, the way they're just ... ugh.

Anyway, additions;

Persimmon
Physalis
Lychees
Loquats
Kohlrabi
Dragon Fruit

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand that ;)
It's more of a "I like it, it makes me vomit, I like the taste too much to stop having them on an irregular basis". I don't think you can learn to like, tolerate perhaps, but not like. I can't stomach soy products because the taste makes me retch and it was an (attempted) regular part of my childhood due to dairy allergies. Yet halva, an infrequent treat, still delights the taste buds. My family constantly gave me baked beans, and I still find them wretched. Taste, texture, the way they're just ... ugh.

Yes, you can. It works both ways - liking and disliking. Our tastes for food are not innate. They are conditioned. Through habit and thought. Coke sells because it's loaded with simple carbs and caffeine to give fatigue sufferer's a quick shot of unnatural energy and it's marketed through ads displaying young people being active and having fun.

Prior to a number of years ago - I never would have thought I'd be eating wholegrains, legumes, nuts and seeds as a regular part of my diet. I used to love my pizzas (esp Aussie pizza full of shreded ham). Some time ago, I decided to "treat" myself with such a pizza - and since it had been that long since I had it and it was not a regular part of my diet- I wound up thinking "what's so flipping great about this?" I wasn't impressed at all. A "taste" for something is largely psychologically induced through habit, and what the food is assosiated with.

As for soy - I always marinade mine prior to cooking/dehydrating.

Upvote 0

Squeakers

Cat and music lover.
Dec 21, 2007
Way in the back, off to the left.
✟70,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well, I was the first in my family to know what a pomegranate was. :p

Other things (note: since I live with my immediate family, they would know what I eat...however, the rest of my relatives/friends don't):
Kohlrabi
Jicama
Chia/salba/hemp seeds
Lucuma powder
Yacon syrup
Baklava

...that's all I can think of for now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Well, I was the first in my family to know what a pomegranate was. :p

Other things (note: since I live with my immediate family, they would know what I eat...however, the rest of my relatives/friends don't):
Kohlrabi
Jicama
Chia/salba/hemp seeds
Lucuma powder
Yacon syrup
Baklava

...that's all I can think of for now.
I don't know what all those things are. ^_^

Upvote 0