What does it mean to be a sincere questioner?

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Often, Christians suspect non-Christians of asking insincere or intellectually dishonest questions. By "intellectually dishonest", I mean they would say, "Are you looking for the truth or trying to prove a point?" Although I have never been accused of being intellectually dishonest or insincere myself, I have witnessed certain individuals who have, which makes me wonder what Christians do not like about those set of questions or what is it about those set of questions are "intellectually dishonest" or "insincere". I personally find those so-called "intellectually dishonest" or "insincere" questions helpful, because there are times when I completely feel like I am at a loss of words or opinion, as if the Christian worldview is more correct than mine. By hearing the side of other secularists, I get to hear the other side and don't feel like I'm being totally brainwashed as in the Asch conformity experiments.

A set of questions for you:

1. What is "truth"?
2. How do you determine "truth"?
3. How do you know the Bible is "truthful" without resorting to quotations from the Bible?
4. What do you consider to be an intellectually dishonest or insincere question, and why? Can you give an example?

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Often, Christians suspect non-Christians of asking insincere or intellectually dishonest questions. By "intellectually dishonest", I mean they would say, "Are you looking for the truth or trying to prove a point?" Although I have never been accused of being intellectually dishonest or insincere myself, I have witnessed certain individuals who have, which makes me wonder what Christians do not like about those set of questions or what is it about those set of questions are "intellectually dishonest" or "insincere". I personally find those so-called "intellectually dishonest" or "insincere" questions helpful, because there are times when I completely feel like I am at a loss of words or opinion, as if the Christian worldview is more correct than mine. By hearing the side of other secularists, I get to hear the other side and don't feel like I'm being totally brainwashed as in the Asch conformity experiments.

I can't speak for others, but I have found that there are indeed some who come here not looking for answers, but looking to debate or simply expound on how much they think Christianity is bunk. I understand that many times the simple answer does not satisfy; but: 1) on this particular forum debate is prohibited (for better or worse), and 2) not many on this site have the training to debate, and don't know how to argue the details in any depth. I try not to pre-judge where individual posters are coming from simply based upon the similarity of their questions to those who are looking to argue, but it is sometimes difficult to get a good read on attitudes and may make the mistake of misinterpreting genuine interest from a desire to debate/belittle my faith. If any here make that mistake, I hope you can forgive us.

1. What is "truth"?
3. How do you know the Bible is "truthful" without resorting to quotations from the Bible?
4. What do you consider to be an intellectually dishonest or insincere question, and why? Can you give an example?

1) Truth is that which corresponds to reality as it exists. I believe truth is absolute and that it is knowable within the limitations of human logic and reason.

2) Some truth can be known empirically, and in those cases I believe science to be very helpful. Some truth cannot be empirically known, and in those cases, if I believe it is important to reach a conclusion, I take what can be known, and in faith I make a decision on what is true.

3) In this case, it is a matter of faith based upon evidences. There are many statements the Bible makes that correspond to what we can know of ancient history. There are many fulfilled prophecies that we can use as evidence. The Bible speaks to my heart in ways that cannot be quantified. Finally, when I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, something new and powerful happened in my life... something that was dead in me came to life. This is what the Bible promised would happen. I cannot empirically know if everything the Bible tells me is true, but what I can verify to be true has lead me to accept in faith that which I cannot know empirically, as well as a few things that seem to contradict what we think we know.

4) A dishonest or insincere question is one that does not have any desire for an honest and sincere answer, but one that seeks to engender an anticipated response that can be ridiculed and/or debated for the purposes of the questioner. Another type of insincere question is one in which the questioner has no desire to change his/her position on... A good example would be the recent thread that claimed that God was evil, and then proceded to ask questions that the questioner believed supported this conclusion. The tone of the statement and questions was very accusative and abusive, and it appeared that the questioner had no desire to have his position opposed, but simply wanted to vent his beliefs in a ridiculing and abusive way. I admit that it is usually not so clear where the questions are coming from, and we sometimes mistake honest seeking of understanding for this type of poster... all I can say is that we are human.

Hope this helps;
Mike

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Legitimate inquiry into Christianity I'd say. Honestly wanting to know what it is we believe and do, why we believe and do (etc).

Even if one already has a basic grasp of Christianity through cultural osmosis or because they former Christians, one can still inquire--honestly--what it is we're doing and believing because it's entirely likely some of us don't fit the mold they have in their mind.

It is actually quite strange, being a frequent watcher of television, movies, and at times news to see just how inept Western social media is at grasping the diversity that exists in Christianity. For example, Mainline Protestants are often portrayed as standard American-style Evangelicals wearing a clerical collar. Considering how ubiquitous Christianity is in our society and culture, and that the vast majority of Americans identify as Christians; it's amusing just how poorly it seems to get reflected in American social media.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

many of the questions christians get irritated with are questions they have no understanding about. the same is true about nonchristians. a person should be able to defend their beliefs but most people that show up on forums are baby christians who get slaughtered by lack of knowledge. most mature christians do not spend time debating on a forum because they are more concerned with going out and bringing people to Christ. the ones that are on a forum usually don't spend their time arguing but prefer to find people who are sincerely asking questions and want to know the truth.

1. What is "truth"?
answers
1. truth to me is what is right. just because we believe something to be right does not mean it is right but because we believe it to be true we will stick with our truth through thick and thin.
2. the only way to find the truth is to hear all sides of an issue and try and understand where each person is coming from and where they are going with their version of the truth. as the old saying goes there is your truth, my truth, and in the middle somewhere is the TRUTH. most people refuse to listen and understand where a person is coming from but only want t prove their point as the right one.
3. how do we know the bible is truth? the same question can be said about so many things we take for granted like science. when you grow up always hearing fire is not hot you will believe until you come up with something that tells you otherwise that makes you change your stance. 4. arguing about things that people believe is truth to them will only make them keep arguing but if you try to understand them and where they are coming from you will be able to persuade people. discussion happen when people are able to each point out their beliefs and then talk of why they believe what they believe. discussions are good but debates are bad because they just make people unreasonable.

God bless

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
agree.

1. What is "truth"?
A completely accurate statement

When possible compare statement to the event it describes. If the two agree you have found truth.

Promises are made in the bible for any believer to explore. Truth is found in the full filled promises. If the truth can be found in said promises then The God the bible describes is true. If that God is true, then all that He says and has had written in the bible can also be counted as true.

4. What do you consider to be an intellectually dishonest or insincere question, and why?
One riddled with logical fallacies.

Can you give an example?
List of fallacies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Straw Man Fallacies are a big one with Atheist. It's where the Christian position is mis represented in order to fit a prepared arguement they may already have.

Upvote 0