tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The question of what it means to accept Jesus has come up on a few other threads recently but not as the main topic so I thought it would be interesting to discuss it in more detail.

There seems to be some differing views on what it means to "accept" Jesus. Some people have suggested that it comes from advocating Jesus' divinity, or asking Jesus into one's heart, or being washed in the blood, performing miracles, water baptism, or any number of other rituals / traditions while some say that acceptance is shown through obedience to commands given in the gospels.

Looking at the list, I don't think that there is any one particular option that is outright wrong and I see room for overlap between all of them to varying degrees.

I think the overlap means that there is no correct starting point to this acceptance and that Jesus is able to see and appreciate those little bits of over lap in ways that we do not.

So we could have people who specialize heavily in theology, praise, or teaching, but they may be less inclined to charitable works, or the other way around or any number of combinations where one area is stronger than the other. In those cases the overlap may be very small and it would be ideal for that person to work harder at increasing the overlap.

But the individual qualities are still there even if the overlap is small. I think this is well illustrated by the parable of the Good Samaritan. Did he "accept" Jesus? He specialized in good works but his overlap into correct theology was very small.

Despite the Samaritans shortcomings in the areas of praise, divinity etc, Jesus still used him as an example of the kind of person God is looking for, because he was practicing at least one aspect of acceptance (which Jesus referred to as the second most important command).

I believe there is a consistent theme through the NT that this is how God will judge people. He will probably consider some areas of acceptance to be more valuable than others, but I believe he will still consider all methods of acceptance when making his decision on who he wants to spend eternity with.

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
Accepting Jesus into one's heart has certainly become a cliché over the decades. The truth is I really like the sinner's prayer, it's a nice prayer, but because it's now become a cliché, "accepting Jesus" is hard to define, as you've pointed out.

To me, accepting Jesus is on par with accepting a world leader. If I'm going to accept a world leader and vote for him/her, then I'm going to make sure I know what he/she is saying, and then I'm going to make sure that I support what he/she is saying, what they are going to do with their position of power, and what they are asking me to do to support them. I can't "accept" a person who I disagree with, or who makes me uncomfortable with the things that they say.

In the same way, I believe that accepting Jesus means accepting him as a whole. His name, his divinity, his teachings...everything.

As far as different aspects of "acceptance". It's an interesting thought, and one which I think could use some more exploration on this thread. My initial feeling is that at some point, we need to accept Jesus as a whole, and not just the certain aspects that we like. However, I think that this can take time, as it did for me, where I accepted Jesus' teachings before I really accepted him as God who died for my sins. The latter came later, and I don't think there is anything wrong with that formula.

Upvote 0

Brianlear

Living life in the pacific NW
Mar 31, 2012
✟9,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not something that comes in some canned prayer. I HATE when people try to bring God to people by asking them to pray some prayer. It's so counter-intuitive. As if Jesus were some ethereal spiritual concept that just be mouthing some words you might "awaken" him and cause him to pay attention to you.

Jesus was God in the form of a man who physically walked on earth and spread a message. Therefore skip the empty prayer and dive into a history book, original texts, the archeology, etc. Critically evaluate the records about his life. Do whatever it takes to really convince yourself that he was different than any other human. Become interested about the greatest story ever. Once you are in a position where you feel, "Yea, I think this is the real deal" then you can begin to ponder what it really means, in our lives.

For me, the prayer thanking God for saving us comes only after years of wrestling, pondering, wondering, investigating.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
brianlear said:
Do whatever it takes to really convince yourself that he was different than any other human.

Interesting thought. I think this comment is very consistent with something Jesus said about the same thing;

JN 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Jesus put a lot of emphasis on the application of his teachings, because he taught the values of Heaven. If we want to know if Heaven is real, then the best way to do that is the act on what he told us to do.

The "little prayer asking Jesus into one's heart" isn't really the problem. All prayer to God is good. It's when people do not teach to obey all those other little commands Jesus gave about how to show the Kingdom of Heaven here on Earth.

"Accepting" Jesus means accepting what he told us to do with life.

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

trulyconverted

Nov 21, 2012
Earth
✟8,569.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These are my thoughts....

I think in reality, if we say "accepting Jesus", a few things happen at that moment.
God takes out our heart of stone and puts in us a new heart of flesh. This heart of flesh (not a hard stone anymore) can now accept Him as the Holy Spirit, who comes into the heart and dwells there. He puts godly fear into our new heart of flesh, so we will never go astray. Then everything else follows.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi TC. I was just reading your comments from another thread and I thought they fit particularly well with this topic, too. Here is what you said:

So if these good fruits are not observed in the person that means there is no one in his heart producing them. That means the Holy Spirit is absent. Not there. But in saying that, we never know if the Holy Spirit will in time come to dwell in this person's heart. Only God knows. Like us, in the past we didn't have Him, then one glorious day He did come and dwell in our heart.

I think the statement in bold could also be true in the opposite. If we observe these fruits in someone then we can say that this person has accepted at least some of the Holy Spirit. A person cannot show these fruits without at least some acceptance of the HS since these are fruits of the HS.

I particularly like this approach because it is not dependent on religious organization or rituals. It's based on something Jesus actually said about us "knowing them by their fruits".

In a world where labels and rituals as proof of spirituality have become so common, I find it refreshing to get back to the simplicity of the criteria Jesus gave.

Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

The question of what it means to accept Jesus has come up on a few other threads recently but not as the main topic so I thought it would be interesting to discuss it in more detail.

There seems to be some differing views on what it means to "accept" Jesus. Some people have suggested that it comes from advocating Jesus' divinity, or asking Jesus into one's heart, or being washed in the blood, performing miracles, water baptism, or any number of other rituals / traditions while some say that acceptance is shown through obedience to commands given in the gospels.

Looking at the list, I don't think that there is any one particular option that is outright wrong and I see room for overlap between all of them to varying degrees.

I think the overlap means that there is no correct starting point to this acceptance and that Jesus is able to see and appreciate those little bits of over lap in ways that we do not.

So we could have people who specialize heavily in theology, praise, or teaching, but they may be less inclined to charitable works, or the other way around or any number of combinations where one area is stronger than the other. In those cases the overlap may be very small and it would be ideal for that person to work harder at increasing the overlap.

But the individual qualities are still there even if the overlap is small. I think this is well illustrated by the parable of the Good Samaritan. Did he "accept" Jesus? He specialized in good works but his overlap into correct theology was very small.

Despite the Samaritans shortcomings in the areas of praise, divinity etc, Jesus still used him as an example of the kind of person God is looking for, because he was practicing at least one aspect of acceptance (which Jesus referred to as the second most important command).

I believe there is a consistent theme through the NT that this is how God will judge people. He will probably consider some areas of acceptance to be more valuable than others, but I believe he will still consider all methods of acceptance when making his decision on who he wants to spend eternity with.

To believe he is the son of God and to strive to obey his teachings.

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟47,845.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To die to one's self, and be reborn of the Spirit in Christ. To let one's former life go, and give the rest of one's life to the will of God. To wear His armor. To let God be the primary object of your love.

Galatians 2:19 Through the law, my old self has become dead to the law, so that I may live to God; with Christ I hang upon the cross, 20 and yet I am alive; or rather, not I; it is Christ that lives in me. True, I am living, here and now, this mortal life; but my real life is the faith I have in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

John 3: 3 Jesus answered him, Believe me when I tell thee this; a man cannot see the kingdom of God without being born anew. 4 Why, Nicodemus asked him, how is it possible that a man should be born when he is already old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb, and so come to birth? 5 Jesus answered, Believe me, no man can enter into the kingdom of God unless birth comes to him from water, and from the Holy Spirit. 6 What is born by natural birth is a thing of nature, what is born by spiritual birth is a thing of spirit. 7 Do not be surprised, then, at my telling thee, You must be born anew. 8 The wind breathes where it will, and thou canst hear the sound of it, but knowest nothing of the way it came or the way it goes; so it is, when a man is born by the breath of the Spirit.

Ephesians 6:10 I have no more to say, brethren, except this; draw your strength from the Lord, from that mastery which his power supplies. 11 You must wear all the weapons in God’s armoury, if you would find strength to resist the cunning of the devil. 12 It is not against flesh and blood that we enter the lists; we have to do with princedoms and powers, with those who have mastery of the world in these dark days, with malign influences in an order higher than ours. 13 Take up all God’s armour, then; so you will be able to stand your ground when the evil time comes, and be found still on your feet, when all the task is over. 14 Stand fast, your loins girt with truth, the breastplate of justice fitted on, 15 and your feet shod in readiness to publish the gospel of peace. 16 With all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the fire-tipped arrows of your wicked enemy; 17 make the helmet of salvation your own, and the sword of the spirit, God’s word. 18 Use every kind of prayer and supplication; pray at all times in the spirit; keep awake to that end with all perseverance; offer your supplication for all the saints.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
These are my thoughts....

I think in reality, if we say "accepting Jesus", a few things happen at that moment.
God takes out our heart of stone and puts in us a new heart of flesh. This heart of flesh (not a hard stone anymore) can now accept Him as the Holy Spirit, who comes into the heart and dwells there. He puts godly fear into our new heart of flesh, so we will never go astray. Then everything else follows.

Of all the posts I agree with this one the most. I don't know of anywhere in scripture that the idea of "accepting Jesus" appears in the form that we now think of it. Perhaps Cornelius' conversion is the closest but I still think it's a concept developed by the modern church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NeoSky

May 21, 2014
Dominican Republic
✟7,626.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I think the most beautiful realization that a human can come up to, is not to encounter the truth of simply accepting Jesus, but the fact Jesus accepts the sinner into his arms of love and compassion. Is not to accept, but to be accepted, confirmed, possessed, adopted into the family of God.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Accepting Christ is like accepting any gift. Let's take a sweater from your aunt as an example. You open the box and there it is. You know that hard work and love went into it, so you accept it with a "thanks" and you might even put it on for a while, but then it goes into the closest and stays there for a few years until you can give it away. Sadly, that's how many people "accept Christ".

Or you can open the box, put on the sweater, fall in love with it, and wear it over and over again until it falls apart. That's how some people "accept Christ" (except he never falls apart).

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The way in which I have 'received' Jesus into my Heart ie speaking to my Heart was through prayers from my Heart regardless of any denomination (given I have visited quite a few over the years and spoken to Jesus/God from my Heart in normal every day conversation and not received Him that way).

During 2011 when I 'prayed from my Heart' to Jesus (via His Divine Mercy Chaplet thrice daily while fasting when healthy) and at the time I had accepted Jesus as My Creator and Saviour, THEN I received Jesus speaking to my Heart.

For other people, they receive Jesus/God in other ways from their Heart.

I was guided by our Lady Mary Mother of God for 18 months through my Heavenly Mother Mary speaking to my Heart while praying the Holy Rosaries daily, trusting and believing in Jesus and Mother Mary at the same time.

Prayer is for some people and prayer is not for some people.

The primary thing is to TRUST and have Confidence in Jesus in order to accept and receive Jesus,

Love and kindest wishes my Brothers and Sisters in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Reactions: stevenfrancis
Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some inspiring answers here. There were a few which implied a need to be done daily which makes me think we all choose to accept or reject Jesus in dozens of ways each day. I think this makes sense.

I noticed also that most of the answers came from a common perspective, i.e. the acceptance is based on some kind of acknowledgement of Jesus the person or Jesus' divinity. While it would be good for everyone to acknowledge Jesus' divinity and his wisdom, Jesus gave several examples of acceptance which were not so overtly religious.

He seemed to indicate that there would be a lot of surprises in Heaven, when the children of the kingdom are cast out and in their place strangers come from the North, South, East, and West to sit down in the Kingdom with Abraham (who was neither Christian nor Jew) Lk 13:28-29.

At another time he told the religious leaders that prostitutes and thieves would enter into the Kingdom of Heaven before they would. (Mt 21:28-32)

And then there is the story of the Good Samaritan (Lk 10) who had all the wrong theology but Jesus still described him as the good guy, and the parable of the sheep and Goats (Mt 25). The sheep claimed to not even realize that they were helping God but they were still rewarded.

How about an agnostic who shows love to his neighbor?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Tremble,

Then I feel the person who is at that stage in his/her own soul journey would be receiving God's love flowing through his/her heart and that love flowing to their neighbour; therefore I feel (despite not being able to speak for Jesus) rewarded greatly by Jesus/God, given that the love and mercy that each person gives out to others, is the love and mercy that Jesus gives to us after passing over and meeting Jesus/God in His judgement.

How about an agnostic who shows love to his neighbor? - Tremble

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about an agnostic who shows love to his neighbor?

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

If it was only about showing love to a person, then there would have been no need for Jesus since people can always find a person to love. Is the agnostic showing love to one neighbor? The neighbor on each side of this house? How about the one across the street? Or the one down the street and just around the corner?

The agnostic can love all the people he wants, but he still breaks the first and greatest commandment.

Without Jesus, the agnostic will be judged according to his works when the Book of Life is opened and that book is a balance sheet of good works and bad works.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Tremble,

Then I feel the person who is at that stage in his/her own soul journey would be receiving God's love flowing through his/her heart and that love flowing to their neighbour; therefore I feel (despite not being able to speak for Jesus) rewarded greatly by Jesus/God, given that the love and mercy that each person gives out to others, is the love and mercy that Jesus gives to us after passing over and meeting Jesus/God in His judgement.

How about an agnostic who shows love to his neighbor? - Tremble

You say that you're not able to speak for Jesus on this issue, but I don't think we really need to speak "for" him, so much as just accept what he's said.

I think your approach here is very close to the parable of the sheep and goats. The sheep didn't even realize that they were helping God. They were surprised. He said, "insomuch as you've showed love to others, you show love to me" and that's why they were rewarded.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi Bryan,

The agnostic can love all the people he wants, but he still breaks the first and greatest commandment.

On this thread I've been striving to make it about Jesus' perspective. What does Jesus think it means to accept him? What did Jesus say about it?

Regarding your comment above, I just can't see that it's consistent with what Jesus actually said. Consider the parable of the sheep and goats:

MT 25:40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Can you see how Jesus equated showing love for others as showing love for God, too? The sheep didn't need to know that they were showing love to God in order for God to be able to appreciate their expressions of love anyway,

Yes, it would be nice if everyone came to the conclusion that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life, but people can still follow the "way" of Jesus without knowing the name of Jesus. Can you see the difference?

Upvote 0