✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you see the difference?

Yes, I can see the difference. The agnostic/atheist says, "You Christians feel that you need to love God to love people. We say that we love people without loving God. That makes us people with a more evolved sense of love since we do not need a magical sky fairy to justify our love of others."

I was an atheist. I was an agnostic. I know the difference between love of people and love of people as fellow children of the Living God.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
BryanW92 said:
Yes, I can see the difference. The agnostic/atheist says, "You Christians feel that you need to love God to love people. We say that we love people without loving God. That makes us people with a more evolved sense of love since we do not need a magical sky fairy to justify our love of others."

I was an atheist. I was an agnostic. I know the difference between love of people and love of people as fellow children of the Living God.

I think this example is a more extreme one, and one which WOULD probably exempt an agnostic from falling under the "good Samaritan" or "sheep" category. Obviously there are some raving atheists out there who do volunteer work at soup kitchens, and then when they meet a street evangelist they spit in his/her face. However, I think the main point is that one doesn't need to be a professing Christian to show God's love, and that many of these "non-Christians" CAN fall under the "sheep" category, simply because they're doing the best they can with the knowledge and faith that they have.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

No, I don't think you see the difference, yet. I was talking about someone who shows love. The example you just listed is not an example of someone showing love. Do you have any suggestions for why these misunderstandings keep happening?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think this example is a more extreme one, and one which WOULD probably exempt an agnostic from falling under the "good Samaritan" or "sheep" category. Obviously there are some raving atheists out there who do volunteer work at soup kitchens, and then when they meet a street evangelist they spit in his/her face. However, I think the main point is that one doesn't need to be a professing Christian to show God's love, and that many of these "non-Christians" CAN fall under the "sheep" category, simply because they're doing the best they can with the knowledge and faith that they have.

I was an atheist for decades. I spent my time with atheists. My example was not extreme. That's the watered-down view.

When most atheists show "God's Love", it is out of pity or a sense of superiority. It is not as a brother or sister who feels a sense of equality. Most atheists show love as a way of showing how great they are. A Christian should show love as a way of showing how great God is. (Sadly, some do not.)

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, I don't think you see the difference, yet. I was talking about someone who shows love. The example you just listed is not an example of someone showing love. Do you have any suggestions for why these misunderstandings keep happening?

The misunderstandings happen over motive. I have been an atheist and a Christian at different times of my life. I know what motivated me then and I know WHO motivates me now.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
BryanW92 said:
I was an atheist for decades. I spent my time with atheists. My example was not extreme. That's the watered-down view.

When most atheists show "God's Love", it is out of pity or a sense of superiority. It is not as a brother or sister who feels a sense of equality. Most atheists show love as a way of showing how great they are. A Christian should show love as a way of showing how great God is. (Sadly, some do not.)

But look where you are now...Don't you think there are others in the atheist religion like yourself, who are perhaps there out of confusion or frustration? People who are "sincerely" being atheist because they don't know enough about God, but at the same time they want to do what is right in life? Can they come out of that religion just as you did?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes it is an example of people showing love--at least outward love.

It is two people serving in a homeless shelter: one atheist and one Christian. Both are serving the homeless with equal vigor and love towards the homeless people. The outsider can look at them working shoulder to shoulder and say, "they both love people".

But, then get in close and listen to what they say to each other. Perhaps one is calling the other a "godless commie". Perhaps one is calling the other "a superstitious fool who must worship a sky fairy to help others".

But I know from experience that the Christian usually says "I am a Christian and here's why." while the atheist says, "I am not a Christian and here's why you shouldn't be either."

Yet, both serve in that homeless shelter out of love. Who of the two does it to glorify God?

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But look where you are now...Don't you think there are others in the atheist religion like yourself, who are perhaps there out of confusion or frustration? People who are "sincerely" being atheist because they don't know enough about God, but at the same time they want to do what is right in life? Can they come out of that religion just as you did?

Yes, they can. But until they do, they are not Christian or people who glorify God through their actions.

But, I was not there out of confusion. I knew the bible and made an informed choice. I, like many atheists, chose my own divinity over that of God. Atheists believe that we are each our own god, and that lie comes from the Prince of Lies who first told it to Eve a long time ago.

Upvote 0

Omena

Brother
Oct 17, 2012
Holetown
✟15,863.00
Faith
Christian
I guess the point that I am trying to make is that none of us have "arrived". Even though we may call ourselves Christians, we can be just as bad as an atheist if we're not walking in the light and showing God's love. So I don't think we should throw people from a certain religion into the death camp unless they convert to Christianity. None of us can see into the heart like God can, and none of us know all the ends.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I guess the point that I am trying to make is that none of us have "arrived". Even though we may call ourselves Christians, we can be just as bad as an atheist if we're not walking in the light and showing God's love. So I don't think we should throw people from a certain religion into the death camp unless they convert to Christianity. None of us can see into the heart like God can, and none of us know all the ends.

Good point. "Let he who thinks he stands take heed, lest he fall" (1 Cor 10:12)

Jesus said something similar about being careful how we judge, because we will be judged in the same way that we judge others.

If we judge that the love a person shows to others is worthless, then God will also judge that the love we showed is worthless.

Here is more evidence from Jesus, that there will be some big surprises when it comes to the judgment and who enters into Heaven and who doesn't.

LK 13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:

LK 13:26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.

LK 13:27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.

LK 13:28 There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when ye shall see Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, and all the prophets, in the kingdom of God, and you yourselves thrust out.

LK 13:29 And they shall come from the east, and from the west, and from the north, and from the south, and shall sit down in the kingdom of God.

LK 13:30 And, behold, there are last which shall be first, and there are first which shall be last.

The people who said "lord lord", who ate/drank in the presence of God and "listened" to his teachings were cast out. Why? Because, they did all the wrong works; despite all their religious behavior they didn't do what Jesus told them to do. Much like the foolish man from Matthew 7 building on the sand, who heard Jesus' teachings but didn't obey, these people listened to the preaching in the streets, but didn't obey.

They were complacent, feeling that fancy speech or attending religious rituals or listening to sermons was enough. What a terrible surprise it will be for these "Lord, Lord" people when they find the door shut in their faces and rebuked when they complain about it.

Then we have strangers from the East, West, North, and South, who didn't know to say "lord lord" but who did follow the way of Jesus, even if it was in ignorance. They will sit down in the Kingdom of Heaven with other people who were known for showing their faith through their actions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Love and Trust in Jesus and accept His Divine Mercy in which Jesus left the world through Saint Sister Faustina.

"I am giving Mankind the final hope for salvation, that is recourse to My Mercy".

Jesus of course is referring to His Divine Mercy and praying His Divine Mercy Chaplet for salvation of every soul whom prays with trust in their Heart to Him.

Otherwise, as Jesus says to the world through His Divine Mercy:
"If they will not adore My Mercy, they will perish for all eternity".
Jesus is referring to unrepentant souls/people who have not repented from their hearts to Him regularly and those of whom are non-believers whom have not repented their sins.

By praying to Jesus, His Divine Mercy Chaplet Prayer in which He left to us, Jesus is then able to stand between His Heavenly Father and the Dying person which is us or the person of who we mention in His Chaplet.

Jesus says again:
"Write down these words My Daughter. Speak to the world about My Mercy: let all Mankind recognise My unfathomable mercy. It is a sign for the end times; after it, will come the day of justice. While there is still time, let them have recourse to the fount of My Mercy; let them profit from the Blood and Water which gushed forth for them".

"In the old Covenant I sent prophets wielding thunderbolts - today I am sending you with My Mercy. Before the day of justice, I am sending the Divine Mercy".

By opening up our hearts praying to Jesus - His Divine Mercy Chaplet, we ACCEPT Jesus as we are Trusting in Him because Jesus also strengthens our Trust in Him as we are praying His Divine Mercy Chaplet.

Jesus' Divine Mercy through and by Jesus, opens up so many avenues in His Love, Special Blessings and Gifts that are incomprehensible; I experience this through and by Jesus daily; Jesus has answered ALL of my Prayers through His Divine Mercy and speaks to my Heart daily!

Love and kindest wishes my Brothers and Sisters in Jesus Christ our Saviour

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To sum it up in one sentence, it's trusting the Lord Jesus Christ with all your heart, soul and mind.

Thanks for that summary, crixus. In a way that simplicity is refreshing, but I've found that quite often people will have different ideas of what "trust" means. Sometimes those ideas are very different from ours. How do we know if the trust is really there? What should that trust look like or how should it be expressed?

The same could be said for words/phrases like "believe", "be guided by", "born again", "spirit filled", "follow", etc...

How about another example;

LK 9:49 And John answered and said, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbad him, because he followeth not with us.

LK 9:50 And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Why did the guy not follow Jesus' chosen leaders? Surely they talked to the guy and explained who they were and who they were following. And yet, Jesus seemed to imply that the guy had accepted him.

Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the Gospel. Christ died on the cross for my sins, according to the scriptures. He was buried and on the third day He rose from the grave, according to the scriptures.

It's simple, it's truth.
Let God be magnified!

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I believe the Gospel. Christ died on the cross for my sins, according to the scriptures. He was buried and on the third day He rose from the grave, according to the scriptures.

It's simple, it's truth.
Let God be magnified!

In Christ
Daniel

What you've posted here sounds like the proper Christian formula for salvation. It's brief, concise and technically correct.

But once again, what kind of belief are we talking about? To the average Christian, the "believe" in this statement is more like "I believe it happened" rather than "I believe and as a result my lifestyle is completely changed".

The most popular scripture regarding belief comes from John 3:16:

JN 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

But the words, "on" and "in" have tended to confuse the issues for a lot of people. Why "believe on" or "believe in"? Why not just "believe"? If we believe Jesus, we will do what he tells us to.

For example, Imagine someone says, "There is a bomb in the room, you must leave immediately". One person quickly runs out of the room while everyone else says, "We believe in you". Far too often this is the relationship between Christians and Jesus. Very few people believe Jesus enough to do what he says.

Jesus gave a lot of instructions for how his followers should live if they want to be a part of the Kingdom of Heaven. This is because the values of Heaven are very different from the values of the world. This difference is sometimes difficult for us to follow or accept, which is why Jesus gave so many instructions for how to deal with these issues.

Here is another example; in the world, materialism is seen as a good thing and excessively encouraged. But in the Kingdom of Heaven, it's a bad thing which must be confronted and smashed. Many of Jesus' teachings deal with this issue of smashing our materialism, sometimes in very dramatic ways, like forsaking our jobs of working for money or forsaking personal ownership in favor of communal living.

It's difficult for us to let go of these things sometimes, especially when it comes to even basic necessities like food and clothing. This is where real belief comes in. Do we believe Jesus when he says that we should forsake our jobs working for money or our private ownership? Do we believe him when he says God will take care of anyone who steps out in faith in him?

Sadly, when it comes to belief which leads to real action, many of us do not believe. We simply believe "in" or believe "on" which doesn't amount to much change for most of us.

Peter also had this understanding of belief.

1PET 2:7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

He seems to be implying that the opposite of belief is disobedience.

Paul also makes this same distinction:

ROM 10:16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What does it mean to accept Jesus

It means that God had chosen you before you were born and have given you the irresistable faith that draws you to himself.

Don't get hung up on the "sinner's prayer", which is salvation by works (ie: if you pray it, you earn salvation through doing so).

We are either irresistably drawn to God, or we are not, and we get no say in it whatsoever ("freewill is a vanity and a falacy").

Upvote 0

Shadow316

May 21, 2014
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
These are my thoughts....

I think in reality, if we say "accepting Jesus", a few things happen at that moment.
God takes out our heart of stone and puts in us a new heart of flesh. This heart of flesh (not a hard stone anymore) can now accept Him as the Holy Spirit, who comes into the heart and dwells there. He puts godly fear into our new heart of flesh, so we will never go astray. Then everything else follows.

This is what happens to our heart when we accept Christ as Lord and Savior. The circumcision of the heart.

No one is making up words to be said when accepting Christ as Savior. They are given to us in scripture. Here are few verses they are found in:

Romans 10
“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For “whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.”

Acts 2
21 And it shall come to pass
That whoever calls on the name of the LORD
Shall be saved

1 John 3
23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us[e] commandment.

1 John 2
23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

1 John 5 (NKJV)
5 Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God

1 John 4
2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God.

1 John 5
11 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.

Matthew 16
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

scripture also tells us to repent - turn away from our old sinful way of life. As one grows in life with Christ they will turn away from more and more of the sin in their life. The old self dies away and is replaced by a new creation in Christ.

This will be noticeable in your life - by you, your friends, your relatives. You'll find that some you thought were friends will no longer be your friends. Some of your relatives won't like you much either.

If you don't see /live this change, you might want to revisit if you actually are saved. It doesn't result from some 'magic' words. It involves a heart change. A repentant heart.

Upvote 0

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
scripture also tells us to repent - turn away from our old sinful way of life. As one grows in life with Christ they will turn away from more and more of the sin in their life. The old self dies away and is replaced by a new creation in Christ.

This will be noticeable in your life - by you, your friends, your relatives. You'll find that some you thought were friends will no longer be your friends. Some of your relatives won't like you much either.

If you don't see /live this change, you might want to revisit if you actually are saved. It doesn't result from some 'magic' words. It involves a heart change. A repentant heart.

Hmm, I like this. Our acceptance (of Jesus) can be measured by the amount of repentance and change in our lives.

Upvote 0