✟8,657.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
From St. John of Damascus' Exact Exposition of the Orthodox Faith:

When, then, we speak of His divinity we do not ascribe to it the properties of humanity. For we do not say that His divinity is subject to passion or created. Nor, again, do we predicate of His flesh or of His humanity the properties of divinity: for we do not say that His flesh or His humanity is uncreated. But when we speak of His subsistence, whether we give it a name implying both natures, or one that refers to only one of them, we still attribute to it the properties of both natures. For Christ, which name implies both natures, is spoken of as at once God and man, created and uncreated, subject to suffering anti incapable of suffering: and when He is named Son of God and God, in reference to only one of His natures, He still keeps the properties of the co-existing nature, that is, the flesh, being spoken of as God who suffers, and as the Lord of Glory crucified, not in respect of His being God but in respect of His being at the same time man. Likewise also when He is called Man and Son of Man, He still keeps the properties and glories of the divine nature, a child before the ages, and man who knew no beginning; it is not, however, as child or man but as God that He is before the ages, and became a child in the end. And Ibis is the manner of the mutual communication, either nature giving in exchange to the other its own properties through the identity of the subsistence and the interpenetration of the parts with one another. Accordingly we can say of Christ: This our God was seen upon the earth and lived amongst men, and This man is uncreated and impossible and uncircumscribed.

John seems intent to keep the natures of Christ "unseparated" for most of this paragraph, but then (to my reading) seems to undo it by speaking of "interpenetration." What does he mean?

And, unrelated, what is "Ibis"?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what others said since I am reading the Exact Exposition for one of my seminary classes that it is probably this, and not Ibis.

I think also that since the One Divine Person has two Natures without mingling or confusion of the natures, or separation of the Person into two, that when you speak of Christ you can say things like God died on the Cross. so Divinity and humanity are perfectly and eternally united in the Person of Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0