✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If God hated the sinner.

Why, then did He send His Only Son to die for them.

we were all sinners before we were saved/born again (Rom 10:9).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. KJV

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So in a facebook group of open air preachers, a lot has been said concerning repentance and condemnation. Certain individuals use John 3:18 as text to support their message of condemnation and go so far as to say God hates sinners. That's right, God hates sinners apparently, which I was then informed God loves those who love Him and that is proved by repentance. Me being the individual I am, disagreed and using Romans 5:8 and 1 John 4:10 told these people that God loves sinners still.

So are turn or burn preachers right? Does God really hate sinners? Is God's love only for those who love him in return?
Jesus did indeed condemn some people for their sin. In Matthew 23 He called the religious leaders "hypocrites" seven times. He told them that they were "blind fools," children of hell, full of hypocrisy and sin. He climaxed His sermon by saying, "You serpents, you generation of vipers, how shall you escape the damnation of hell?" (v. 33). He then warned that He would say to the wicked, "Depart from Me, you cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels" (Matthew 25:41).

Charles Finney stated, "God is not angry merely against the sin abstracted from the sinner, but against the sinner himself. Some persons have labored hard to set up this ridiculous and absurd abstraction, and would fain make it appear that God is angry at sin, yet not at the sinner. He hates the theft, but loves the thief. He abhors adultery, but is pleased with the adulterer. Now this is supreme nonsense. The sin has no moral character apart from the sinner. The act is nothing apart from the actor. The very thing that God hates and disapproves is not the mere event—the thing done in distinction from the doer; but it is the doer himself. It grieves and displeases Him that a rational moral agent, under His government, should array himself against his own God and Father, against all that is right and just in the universe. This is the thing that offends God. The sinner himself is the direct and the only object of his anger."

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
If God hated the sinner.

Why, then did He send His Only Son to die for them.

we were all sinners before we were saved/born again (Rom 10:9).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. KJV

Why do you assume it has to be one way or the other? Why can't it be both? Are God's ways not higher than our ways? Your verses are accurate, but so are those I quoted as well.

Why exclude the other scriptures just because they conflict with your understanding? Scripture trumps our preconceived notions of what God has to be like.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Again scriptures written by man to be understood by man, we cannot understand beyond what hate is because we have taken from the apple. The word hate may well be in the book but it is what is beyond the words.

Might as well throw out the whole Bible then...hmmm...

Upvote 0