MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Today, I was having a discussion with someone about abortion. We were trying to figure out if it's still wrong to get an abortion if the baby has genetic defects, etc. My argument was that it is, and the person I was talking to disagreed with me...she was saying how it's wrong to keep the baby when you know they will live a life of pain. But here's what I think:

It is not up to us to decide who lives and who dies. God gives life, and only He has the right to take it away...it makes me so sad to hear about abortions..well I know that God is merciful and it's something He can forgive if the mother repents. So I try not to be judgemental, because I've never been in such a situation myself. But I think it hurts Him to see babies die like that, when He meant them to live.

Even if the baby is shown to have a genetic defect or something, it is still not up to us to take away his or her life...God is sovereign and has a purpose for everything, and sometimes even uses the consequences of this sinful world (like illness) for good. This child still deserves to experience life.

Also, what if the doctors did the test wrong, and it turns out the baby was normal all along? That would be so sad.... Not to mention that getting an abortion has lots of consequences for the mother; both physical and emotional consequences.

What do you all think? Do you think it is right to get an abortion if the doctors say there is something wrong with the baby? I don't mean cases when the defect is so severe that the baby's or the mother's life is endangered. I mean when the baby has Down Syndrome or something like that.

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In my opinion...
if a foetus is a human being with a human spirit, then it is a human being regardless of whatever defects it may have or whether it's existence endangers the child's or the mother's life.

if a foetus is not a human being with a human spirit, then a woman should have the right to choose what happens to that foetus and to do whatever is necessary to ensure her own health and quality of life and to ensure that foetus has the best possible life when it is delivered.

If a foetus is a human being, abortion under any circumstances is morally wrong.

If a foetus is not a human being, then abortion under any circumstances should be a woman's right.

Upvote 0

LunarPlexus

Aug 30, 2007
✟15,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I think it is rather tricky...I am totally pro-choice, no matter what the circumstances. That in mind, I do think your opinion is valid, Monica.

I don't see children in my life at all, but I think if I actually wanted a child, I wouldn't abort it because of defects. Actually wanting the child makes a huge difference to how you view it, and what you are willing to do for it.
But, as a pro-choicer, I think that all women have the right to abort for whatever reason and I wouldn't judge someone for aborting due to physical or mental defects.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,132,672.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Parents are called to love their children unconditionally.

And, as a parent with many years of experience, I can vouch for the fact that all children present many challenges and give parents many joys and heartbreaks.

"Normal" children can develop catastrophic illnesses or disabilities.

"Disabled" children can adjust to their disabilities and lead remarkable lives.

Children don't come with guarantees, and if you're not prepared for that, maybe you aren't ready to be a parent.

In actuality, I have read that 91% of expectant parents who learn that their child will have Down Syndrome will abort, however.

Reactions: Annabel Lee
Upvote 0

MoNiCa4316

Totus Tuus
Jun 28, 2007
✟34,687.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Good point, Fantine :thumbsup:

That's sad about the 91% of parents...I mean it must be hard taking care of a child with Down Syndrome, it's a challenge but I'm sure it's possible, and the child brings as much joy to the family as other children do. I've met wonderful people who have Down Syndrome..they are not 'less human' than others...and their families are proud of them. Not to mention that they deserve to experience life!! That goes without saying....I believe God has a plan for everyone. :)

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Parents are called to love their children unconditionally.

And, as a parent with many years of experience, I can vouch for the fact that all children present many challenges and give parents many joys and heartbreaks.

"Normal" children can develop catastrophic illnesses or disabilities.

"Disabled" children can adjust to their disabilities and lead remarkable lives.

Children don't come with guarantees, and if you're not prepared for that, maybe you aren't ready to be a parent.

In actuality, I have read that 91% of expectant parents who learn that their child will have Down Syndrome will abort, however.
I strongly disagree with your statement that if you aren't ready for the fact that children don't come with guarantees then perhaps you're not ready to be a parent. Why? I can be as ready a parent as possible and still not be able to handle raising a disabled child. Therefore, abortion in the case of a child who will be born disabled is fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

April Angel

Jul 13, 2007
London
✟17,063.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
What do you all think? Do you think it is right to get an abortion if the doctors say there is something wrong with the baby? I don't mean cases when the defect is so severe that the baby's or the mother's life is endangered. I mean when the baby has Down Syndrome or something like that.

No, I think that it is definitely NOT right. So many innocent babies have been deprived of their right to live. They were aborted after they were fully formed. It is murder. No other word for it. And no excuse for it either. (I regret having to work for a doctor who "doesn't do abortions" I was told. What a BIG lie. He allowed his junior doctors to abort babies with Down's syndrome after 20 weeks gestation i.e. when they were fully formed and swimming around in their mother's uterus.) It just makes me cry.:cry: Those babies and children with Down's syndrome are so loving and lovable. How could they be deprived of their lives?

I strongly disagree with your statement that if you aren't ready for the fact that children don't come with guarantees then perhaps you're not ready to be a parent. Why? I can be as ready a parent as possible and still not be able to handle raising a disabled child. Therefore, abortion in the case of a child who will be born disabled is fine.

For who?

And I am sorry but you are wrong. If you are not willing to have a disabled child then you should not get pregnant. Some children end up disabled after they are born and no-one knows about it until a few months after the birth. Then what do you do?

Upvote 0

FreddyBenson

Dec 5, 2007
✟15,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No of course it is not right. You cannot justify the killing of an innocent human being.

Upvote 0

ladyt28

God's Grace Fills My Life
Jun 12, 2007
Michigan
✟37,455.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I was given up for adoption at birth. I saw the reports on what I might have inherited from my biological parents. Although our scientific knowledge has become more "sophisticated", I would have been an abortion under the terms laid out in the OP "what if" question. Now, I do have some physical problems but nothing beyond cosmetics (hair won't grow very long, fingernails had to be removed due to pain - things like that). Without meaning to brag, I am a very intelligent person who did not inherit any of the mental retardation that ran in the family. I am eternally grateful that no one decided for me what amount of pain I should have to go through.

I have worked with and personally knew many, many adults and children born with severe conditions - many of them have been in pain. Each one has been a very special person with gifts to offer such as learning patience, compassion, and selflessness. Regardless of the pain, these people experienced joy and pleasure. Who gets to say that this was not enough to live?

Who would get to define a life not worth living? Would we chose the mentally retarded - because they don't have the intellect to "be independent" and can only live with love and trust? Would we chose the physically handicapped because they would have to struggle to fit in a one-size-fits-all world (while those who have become physically handicapped get to live)? What about those who have a condition that we know will result in a very short life span - maybe we should ask parents of babies who have died from SIDS or have lost toddlers through tragic accidents if their children had been worth having. How about when we learn how to identify someone who has been born with a strong predisposition for severe mental illness such as schizophrenia?

Please know - I am not asking these questions out of anger but quietly with the hope of thought and discussion. God did not promise us a life of ease - as a matter of fact He promised us a life of challenge and grief as this world is not our permanent home. Are we trying to artificially create a more "perfect" world knowing full well that such a thing does not exist and never will? And I am not sharing these thoughts with any intent to judge or condemn anyone who may not agree as I have shared it as food for thought.

And what about if the mother's life is at stake going full term and delivering? There was an old movie (can't remember the title of course!) where the sister of a priest was about to give birth and was nearly certain to die if she did give birth but could be saved if the baby was terminated. I'll never forget the decision her brother made "if she dies in childbirth, then that is God's will. Taking the life of the baby would not be God's will but our own." Ask parents if they would not be willing to sacrifice their own life to save the life of their child - most would in a heartbeat....personally, I don't see this choice as any different - I would want my child to live.

And BTW, Down's Syndrome has varying degrees. I know of many people with DS who who I would prefer to spend time with ANY day over some of the people who consider themselves "normal".

Reactions: April Angel
Upvote 0
T

TroubleShooter43

Abortion is without a doubt a terrible thing, but it is not the place of anyone (except the pregnant woman) to make a decision about ending the pregnancy. She is the one who must look in the mirror, it is her conscience that must address her actions, and no one under any circumstances has the right to place limitations on her choices. Perhaps if there were more comprehensive sex education classes in schools, easier access to birth control, less stigma about using them, etc. the need for abortions would decline.

Reactions: Trashionista
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NDNgirl4ever

LPN, Vegan Hippie Freak, and Tony Orlando and Dawn
Sep 12, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟8,598.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
but it is not the place of anyone (except the pregnant woman) to make a decision about ending the pregnancy. She is the one who must look in the mirror, it is her conscience that must address her actions, and no one under any circumstances has the right to place limitations on her choices. Perhaps if there were more comprehensive sex education classes in schools, easier access to birth control, less stigma about using them, etc. the need for abortions would decline.
EXACTLY! It's her body, her choice! No one else has the right to judge her or make a decision for her. I also agree that we need better sex education and better access to birth control. This abstinence only stuff they are pushing now just doesn't work.

Upvote 0

jad123

Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
The moon
✟9,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
EXACTLY! It's her body, her choice! No one else has the right to judge her or make a decision for her. I also agree that we need better sex education and better access to birth control. This abstinence only stuff they are pushing now just doesn't work.

Her body!!! I didn't realize that human woman had 4 arms, 4 legs, 2 heads, 2 hearts, etc. etc. That child is not property. And that last time I checked that child had a father who is todays world is garbage as well.

Upvote 0

Trashionista

Jun 10, 2007
The Copacabana
✟9,243.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Liberals
Her body!!! I didn't realize that human woman had 4 arms, 4 legs, 2 heads, 2 hearts, etc. etc. That child is not property. And that last time I checked that child had a father who is todays world is garbage as well.
Who's to say the father plans on being involved in the pregnancy and the rearing of the child?

Its a reality. Its very easy for a man to get up and leave.

Upvote 0
C

Calliso

Who's to say the father plans on being involved in the pregnancy and the rearing of the child?

Its a reality. Its very easy for a man to get up and leave.

Exactly but strangely you rarely ever see anyone asking but where was the father? And it seems to be automatically assumed that the father wasn;t given a chance to be involved in the child's life. No the woman is always the one who is solely blamed. It is a double standard really, kinda like how if a woman sleeps with anyone outside of marriage she is considered a harlot but if a man does it while maybe not considered good it is often times considered to be a man thing and not as bad as a woman sleeping with someone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.