Catholic Neonatologist Wins Award for Exemplary Medical Care of Most Fragile, Vulnerable Babies

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,750,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Notre Dame’s de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture honors Dr. Elvira Parravicini, who tells moms and dads, ‘My mission is to save your baby’s life. But no matter what, I am walking with your baby, you and your family. I will not abandon you.’

When Frederic and Jessica Repond learned that their unborn son, James, had severe brain abnormalities, they didn’t know where to turn. The pregnancy was high-risk for Jessica; James likely would not survive outside the womb for long.

Jessica’s doctors presented abortion as their only option. “They weren’t providing us any information, any help whatsoever,” Jessica Repond told the Register.

Abortion is so common in the New York City area where the Reponds live, most doctors don’t know how to care for a child with life-limiting conditions, her OB-GYN explained. But the couple kept looking, and as Jessica neared the 20-week mark of her pregnancy, they found the doctor they were looking for: Dr. Elvira Parravicini, professor of pediatrics and directorof the Neonatal Comfort Care Program at Columbia University Medical Center.

“I sent her this long email saying, ‘I want to help my baby, but no one’s willing to help me,’” Jessica said. “Someone on her team responded the next day. They said, ‘We want to help you. We want to be there for you.’”

Continued below.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Notre Dame’s de Nicola Center for Ethics and Culture honors Dr. Elvira Parravicini, who tells moms and dads, ‘My mission is to save your baby’s life. But no matter what, I am walking with your baby, you and your family. I will not abandon you.’

When Frederic and Jessica Repond learned that their unborn son, James, had severe brain abnormalities, they didn’t know where to turn. The pregnancy was high-risk for Jessica; James likely would not survive outside the womb for long.

Jessica’s doctors presented abortion as their only option. “They weren’t providing us any information, any help whatsoever,” Jessica Repond told the Register.

Abortion is so common in the New York City area where the Reponds live, most doctors don’t know how to care for a child with life-limiting conditions, her OB-GYN explained. But the couple kept looking, and as Jessica neared the 20-week mark of her pregnancy, they found the doctor they were looking for: Dr. Elvira Parravicini, professor of pediatrics and directorof the Neonatal Comfort Care Program at Columbia University Medical Center.

“I sent her this long email saying, ‘I want to help my baby, but no one’s willing to help me,’” Jessica said. “Someone on her team responded the next day. They said, ‘We want to help you. We want to be there for you.’”

Continued below.
God bless Dr. Elvira Parravicini for saving the baby's life. The doctor's website is below, for anyone who lives in NYC.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0