What do you say when someone makes this charge against the Rosary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was skimming Catholicism and Fundamentalism the other day and on one of the pages it was talking about how Jimmy Swaggart likened the practice of using a Rosary, in an accusatory manner, to certain practices among Hindus and Muslims and hence tried to use this tactic to invalidate the Rosary and if someone were to say something like that to me (this is hypothetical), I would not know how to refute their comment...

The only thing I can think of in response (I feel a wee bit lame on this but oh well...) is that way back in the day before Jesus dude showed up :))) is that the cross which is the emblem of Christianity used to be used in ancient pagan cultures for totally different reasons...even though it is NOT used that way for Christianity, so who are they to accuse the Rosary of being "pagan"...

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The final prayer of the Rosary states, "Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen."

All of the prayers of the Rosary work together to draw our attention to Christ and His saving work in us and the Church as a whole, in order that we may follow the Gospel more perfectly and reach Heaven. Although some pagan religions might have used beads, and others might have used incantations, the beads of the Rosary are not magic. The beads are used to help you keep track of your meditative walk though the life and work of Jesus, nothing more. Also, the prayers of the Rosary, though repititious, are not meant to "force" God into acting due to the words being said like incantantations of a sorcerer. There is really no more similarity between the Rosary and the pagan prayers they are claimed to resemble than any other Christian prayer, period.

Upvote 0

Look Homeward Anglican

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
United States
✟10,751.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
The arrival of Jesus on the scene of history marks the fulfillment of all of the pagan religions, not just Judaism. His coming was foreshadowed in some way in every other religious myth. Any similarities between Christianity and former systems of worship are by the holy design of God, to bring his people to a single focal point.

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Maybe I am different, but I just can't be bothered with defending this type of thing. Chances are the people that are making this type of acusation are so ingrained in their own anti-catholic agenda that it is just a waste of time.

So I just go "yeah whatever" and keep going. I'm not going to get into a fight with someone who will not listen to what I have to say anyway and who's only motive is to bully me into their own POV.

Upvote 0

InTheCloud

Veteran
May 9, 2007
Planet Earth
✟12,597.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rosary, in an accusatory manner, to certain practices among Hindus and Muslims and hence tried to use this tactic to invalidate the Rosary and if someone were to say something like that to me (this is hypothetical), I would not know how to refute their comment...

Muslims copied the idea of the Prayerd Beads form the Nestorian Christians. Hindus and Buddhist to use prayers beads too but is a separet development.
Look the human brain is similar regardless of religion. If you want to pray of meditate for a long period of time without loosing focus you need a tactile guide.
Of course fundies will not acknowledge anything about the brain.
The use of prayer beads by the Muslims (to name the names of God) or Hindus and Buddhist is very different from the Rosary thought.

Reactions: Romans 13:3
Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic
I was skimming Catholicism and Fundamentalism the other day and on one of the pages it was talking about how Jimmy Swaggart likened the practice of using a Rosary, in an accusatory manner, to certain practices among Hindus and Muslims and hence tried to use this tactic to invalidate the Rosary and if someone were to say something like that to me (this is hypothetical), I would not know how to refute their comment...

The only thing I can think of in response (I feel a wee bit lame on this but oh well...) is that way back in the day before Jesus dude showed up :))) is that the cross which is the emblem of Christianity used to be used in ancient pagan cultures for totally different reasons...even though it is NOT used that way for Christianity, so who are they to accuse the Rosary of being "pagan"...

You have the exactly the right tactic.

If the Rosary is pagan simply because other religions such as Hinduism and Muslims, etc have similar practices, then even PRAYER is pagan and we must not pray, for every pagan religion uses prayer.

God forbid that we pray because the pagans pray! :eek:

If we can't use something because there is somthing similar to it in other religions, then throw away your wedding rings, because those are of pagan origin, and the christian fish symbol, throw that away because it is also a pagan symbol, and just as you bullsied on, throw away the cross, for it is a pagan symbol.

We can go on and on and on and ond .. . We would have to throw Christianity itself away because of similiarities between it and Mithraism.

It is a totally defunct and illogical argument for it utterly destroys Christianity. :)

The basic reply is, similiarity does not equal sameness. :)

Upvote 0

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Look the human brain is similar regardless of religion.

Right. The human person was created in a particular way. As such, that human person will engage with the world according to the way in which he was made. That fact transcends culture, ethnicity, or religion.

That's not to say that all seemingly-similar religious devotions are the same, or equally legitimate, or different parts of a whole. It is to say that humans desire to express their deepest purpose (to worship their Creator), and devise different ways of doing so.

Reactions: D'Ann
Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jimmy Swaggert has no business saying anything. I still remember when he was arrested for being with a prostitute. His word has no meaning to me at all and what creditability he once had with me is all gone. Yes, I forgive him and realize that he is a weak human being, but then when he can easily judge others in the way that he has... where is the compassion and mercy being shown to others that was shown to him by Jesus?

Anyway... I'll see what others have written regarding your real question. :) Sorry that I got side tracked with the Jimmy Swaggert thingie.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The usual complaint concerning the rosary is a quote in the bible about "vain repetitions." The rosary isn't vain if done correctly.
true, but the accusers of vain repetition (or repetition period) somehow forget a Psalm (I forgot the number of the Psalm) in which the words "his steadfast love endures forever" is repeated over and over again...so they really have to say why that prayer is justified and the rosary is not...and hence the reasons why the Psalm prayer albeit repetitive, is justified should be the same reasons why the rosary is.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟785,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Jimmy Swaggert has no business saying anything. I still remember when he was arrested for being with a prostitute. His word has no meaning to me at all and what creditability he once had with me is all gone. Yes, I forgive him and realize that he is a weak human being, but then when he can easily judge others in the way that he has... where is the compassion and mercy being shown to others that was shown to him by Jesus?

Anyway... I'll see what others have written regarding your real question. :) Sorry that I got side tracked with the Jimmy Swaggert thingie.
I didn't know much about Jimmy Swaggart, only heard that he was definitely a character...I shouldn't say this but when I typed his name in my original post I had the inclination to laugh and say "why the heck am I writing about him" but I don't know if I should've felt that way...anyway

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The usual complaint concerning the rosary is a quote in the bible about "vain repetitions." The rosary isn't vain if done correctly.

:amen:

The Rosary is a pocket compendium of the Gospel that can be prayed anywhere at any time (on a crowded bus or in the blackest of nights)--meditation on the mysteries of the rosary are upon the life of Jesus. Don't think Hindu or Buddhist prayer beads can be said to think on the life of Jesus.

As for not supposing to do anything with repetitions--umm--are they willing to say that they are only allowed to take one breath for their entire lifetimes? Okay, saying something--how about the words, "I love you". Ever get tired of hearing them? Not Biblical enough? Well, what about Jesus' command for us to persevere when asking the Father for a favor. (Believe Jesus used several illustrations of that--the woman and the unjust judge or the man asking for bread from his neighbor who initially refused.)

Err--speaking of "repetitions", I hope they don't say the word "Amen" or "in Jesus name we pray" after a prayer more than once in their lives.

Upvote 0

thereselittleflower

Nov 9, 2003
✟50,355.00
Faith
Catholic

I agree . . . . no one should pay him any heed. That people do is simply a testimony to their itching ears . . . . .

i didn't realize how anti-Catholic he was though . . I stopped paying any attention to him when he first demonstrated his true nature.

May God have mercy and may he eventually find Christ truly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carrye

Weisenheimer
Aug 30, 2003
✟29,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Now this is going through my head: "You're so vain. You probably think this decade's about you. You're so vain."

Thanks Michael.

Upvote 0

Angeldove97

I trust in You
Site Supporter
Jan 6, 2004
Indiana
✟143,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now this is going through my head: "You're so vain. You probably think this decade's about you. You're so vain."

Thanks Michael.

:D LOL :D That's actually one of my favorite oldies songs... well with the original lyrics.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,704.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
After I saw Mother Teresa saying the Rosary on television once (fingering her rosary beads while talking to a reporter) I realized that the Hail Mary's were like mantras.

Then I realized while I was growing up listening to priests and sisters recite the Rosary, it would always be: (Breathe in) Hail Mary.....thy womb, Jesus. (Breathe out) Holy Mary....Amen. Spoken very rapidly, in a singsong fashion of descending minor thirds.

I always thought that they found it as boring as most of us kids did, and that that was why they recited it that way.

But after watching Mother Teresa, I realized that the point was NOT to pay attention to the words but to just let them flow through you so that you could meditate.

The Rosary made a lot more sense to me then, and by that time I was probably almost 40.

And so yes, I agree with Rev. Swaggart to an extent, but I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing.

Upvote 0

gabrielListens

eagles fly alone
Apr 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Calif.
✟17,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The rosary is a gift from the Blessed Mother to Saint Dominic in answer to his prayers to save an entire town that needed a miracle. Do not worry about what others think of it. Simply know that it is recommended by the Blessed Mother herself to all of her visionaries, from La Salette to Fatima to Lourdes, etc.. The saints themselves would not recite it if it was of no use.

Instead of worrying about what others think of it, we should just be incredibly grateful that we even have such a blessed gift from heaven.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.