Seahawks offensive tackle loves the game, but Catholic faith is his ‘focal point’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,696,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SEATTLE (OSV News) — In his second year as an offensive tackle for the Seattle Seahawks, Abraham “Abe” Lucas is living his childhood dream. Even so, it’s faith, not football, that’s the most important thing for this self-described “hard-core Catholic.”

“It’s my focal point, it drives everything that I do — my faith and my relationship with Jesus Christ,” said Lucas, who grew up near Everett. “It’s my purpose.”

At 6-foot-6 and 322 pounds, Lucas is someone you wouldn’t want to tangle with on the football field. Off the field, he’s been described as a “gentle giant,” considerate and loyal. Currently on injured reserve, Lucas, who turns 25 on Oct. 25, is approachable, open and honest — willing to share his struggles in life and eager to talk about being Catholic.

“He’s experienced his own crosses, his own sufferings, but Christ has always been at the center of his life and how he tries to live his life,” Father Paul Heric, Lucas’ pastor at the St. Thomas More Catholic Student Center at Washington State University, said in a video.

Called to share the Word of God​

Lucas said he considers his whole life a ministry, and believes football is what he’s “called to do at this moment.”

He never misses weekend Mass, and he tries to pray the rosary daily (sometimes on the team plane), go to confession weekly and attend weekday Mass as often as he can.

Continued below.