Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks brother. That's a good scripture.

The reason I've had these questions about fasting/prayer is because I remember 10-20 years ago, I was often in fasting/prayer and I had many revelations/dreams/visions etc. One of them being grace, which radically changed and empowered my life. But then I noticed that I stopped fasting because I saw it as "legalistic" etc. But I often question.. "hmm am I missing something though?" Kind of like if I don't talk to God today, He still loves me but I'm gonna miss out in some good action for sure :)

I don't really understand fasting. But there does seem to be something there. I think of Jesus. I don't think He fasted to be more spiritual, He was the son of God. He didn't have to prove anything. But for some reason He chose to. I wonder if it had to do with how He was constantly on the download from the father. He said something like 'I only do what I see the Father doing'. I want to do only what I see the Father doing. But truth is many times I'm not even clear on what the Father is doing. I sure could use some getting in tune with Holy Spirit. And another time they asked Him why He hadn't eaten and He said He had other food (to do the Father's will). Then He also said when tempted 'man does not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from God'.

So I guess my next question, has anyone else ever been more "in tune" with God by prayer/fasting? And I'm not talking about the fasting/prayer that is trying to gain acceptance from God or prove some kind of self-righteousness.

welp, when we read the NT, if you think about it, it's pretty vaque on the details of fasting, but what is clear, is the the devil and flesh, were defeated on the cross, and for sure, there is alot more in depth, direct teaching on that as the answer, with little doubt left to the reader, compared to fasting verses.

People can still get sin while fasting, but no one can sin in the Spirit.

But if one likes it, that is up to them.:)

Ps, amen, i love that verse too, and as you know, the false teachers were trying to give add-on's for an "improved spiriual life", all of which paul had earlier pointed to the cross in 1:20-22 as the answer, and warded off those additions.

be blessed, frog.

Upvote 0

aWalkbyFaith

Sep 17, 2013
Austin, Texas
✟15,283.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
welp, when we read the NT, if you think about it, it's pretty vaque on the details of fasting, but what is clear, is the the devil and flesh, were defeated on the cross, and for sure, there is alot more in depth, direct teaching on that as the answer, with little doubt left to the reader, compared to fasting verses.

Amen.

Let's be led by the Spirit. :)

Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Fasting is fasting . . . how Jesus did it. Giving up sleep, food, what have you. Doing it from a pure place - Jesus fasted, so we should fast. His disciples fasted, so we should fast.

Always rolling my eyes when people try to excuse everything these days as "only for the jews" or "only under the law" or "only for corinthians" or what have you.

It is ALL the Word of God!

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fasting is fasting . . . how Jesus did it. Giving up sleep, food, what have you. Doing it from a pure place - Jesus fasted, so we should fast. His disciples fasted, so we should fast.

Always rolling my eyes when people try to excuse everything these days as "only for the jews" or "only under the law" or "only for corinthians" or what have you.

It is ALL the Word of God!

Be careful with all this logical thinking and scripture verification around here, it's dangerous.

BTW, I agree :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

AphroditeGoneAwry

Dec 2, 2012
Montana
Visit site
✟9,083.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
God must lead us to fast for it to be worthwhile and holy. Otherwise,

When you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. ~Matthew 6:16

When you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. ~Matthew 6:17-18

Upvote 0