What do the scriptures teach about tithing for today?

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Are we required to tithe? If we are supposed to tithe, where does our tithe go and for what purpose is it to be used? Can someone help me find specific scriptures in the New Testament? Your help is appreciated.

There are no scriptures in the New Testament to answer your questions because tithing was disannulled according to Hebrews 7:5,12,18.

Tithing today is a man-made doctrine.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are we required to tithe? If we are supposed to tithe, where does our tithe go and for what purpose is it to be used? Can someone help me find specific scriptures in the New Testament? Your help is appreciated.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2

Now concerningthe collection for the saints: as I directed the churches of Galatia, so you also are to do. On the first day of every week, each of you is to put something aside and store it up, as he may prosper, so that there will be no collecting when I come.

We're to set aside something for the church every week. Ask the Lord to give you wisdom as to how much that should be. Personally, I think Christians should give a minimum of 10 percent as a rule but in general it is as the Holy Spirit leads. Above all, give from your heart and not grudgingly, and know that he who sows sparingly will reap sparingly:

2 Corinthians 9:6 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, tithing still applies. Note that Jacob tithed and that was before the Law. The tithe existed before the law and still applies today.

I guess you think everything that happened before the law applies today??

There is absolutely NO scripture showing us that Jacob ever, in his lifetime, tithed. There is ONE example before the law of a tithe - Abram gave a tenth of the war spoils to King Melchizedek. There is NO example, anywhere in the scriptures, where anyone ever tithed from their income. NONE.

No one follows Abram's one-time example of tithing from war spoils AND GIVING AWAY THE OTHER 90%. Abram kept NONE OF IT for himself.

It is sickening and disgusting to see preachers twist God's Word in order to collect more money. It shows they are either ignorant of the scriptures, or just plain dishonest.

The Biblical tithe was never money, and never came from anyone's income.

It's time church goers wake up and study the word for themselves rather than just believe everything someone tells them.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Personally, I think Christians should give a minimum of 10 percent as a rule...

Why not 5% or 20% or some other percentage? What you "think" Christians should give doesn't matter any more than what I "think" Christians should give. Who cares? Why not just follow the scriptures and not tell others how much you "think" they should give.

Giving is between the giver and God. It is no one else's business.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not 5% or 20% or some other percentage? What you "think" Christians should give doesn't matter any more than what I "think" Christians should give. Who cares? Why not just follow the scriptures and not tell others how much you "think" they should give.

Giving is between the giver and God. It is no one else's business.

I think we should give 10 percent because we are children of Abraham by faith (Galatians 3:7), and Abraham paid ten percent to Melchizedek who is a type of Christ (Hebrews 7). Note that this was also before the law was given so the scripture about a change of priesthood does not invalidate this fact. In another way it supports it because the change of priesthood was to the Melchizedek priesthood. I'm not going to make a doctrine out of it because I can't absolutely confirm its veracity, but I feel it is valid which is why I say 10 percent as a rule. The New Testament standard is actually a higher standard than the Old Testament which is sacrificial giving so I would say 10 percent is on the low end of that, wouldn't you?

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think we should give 10 percent because we are children of Abraham by faith (Galatians 3:7), and Abraham paid ten percent to Melchizedek who is a type of Christ (Hebrews 7). Note that this was also before the law was given so the scripture about a change of priesthood does not invalidate this fact. In another way it supports it because the change of priesthood was to the Melchizedek priesthood. I'm not going to make a doctrine out of it because I can't absolutely confirm its veracity, but I feel it is valid which is why I say 10 percent as a rule. The New Testament standard is actually a higher standard than the Old Testament which is sacrificial giving so I would say 10 percent is on the low end of that, wouldn't you?

Your reasoning has faults.

1 - We don't know WHY Abram gave the tenth to Melchizedek. However, Biblical historians agree that during that period of time it was custom to give a tenth of the war spoils to the king.

2 - How do you reason that Christians should give a tenth of their income when there is no scripture showing that Abram/Abraham ever gave a tenth of his income? To follow Abram's one-time example, you would have to go to war and return with the spoils.

3 - I agree the New Testament standard is higher. However, the OT standard of giving was NOT 10%. It was zero. ONLY those who inherited the promised land were required to take the tithe to the Levites.

4 - The priesthood is not TO the priesthood of Melchizedek, it is IN THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. Both the Melchizedek priesthood and that of the priesthood of Jesus Christ occur not from the law. The priesthood of Jesus Christ is SUPERIOR to that of Melchizedek.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When God gave the Israelites the promised land, He RESERVED, for Himself, a tenth of the crops and every tenth animal (Leviticus 27:30, 32). They NEVER did belong to the Israelites. In other words, the tithe was from God's increase of FOOD, not from man's income. It was a way to distribute FOOD to the Levites and priests who did NOT inherit any land.

No one, not even the farmers, tithed from their income.

The farmers made their income by SELLING and/or barter-exchanging their crops and animals but did NOT tithe on that income.

Today, ALL born-again believers are priests. ALL of us are called to be disciples of the Lord. No one of us is greater than another. Our bodies are the Temple where the Spirit dwells. According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe (Numbers 18).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Let’s look closely at Abram’s tithe. First, the goods that Abram gave the tenth from didn’t even belong to Abram:

Genesis 14:21 (KJV) - And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, and take the goods to thyself.

Notice in verse 21 the king of Sodom didn’t ask Abram if he would give back to him the people, but rather said GIVE ME the people and keep the goods for yourself. The way that is worded indicates that the king of Sodom was claiming that the people and the goods belonged to him, but he offered the goods to Abram.

It would normally have been the custom that the victor owns the spoils, but normally the spoils would have belonged to the enemy. In this case, Abram was RECOVERING goods belonging to the King of Sodom.

NOTE: The king of Sodom had an original right both to the persons and to the goods, and it would bear a debate whether Abram’s acquired right by rescue would supersede his title and extinguish it; but, to prevent all quarrels, the king of Sodom makes this fair proposal (v. 21).
--Should the Church Teach Tithing by Dr. Russell Earl Kelly, pages 24-25

Genesis 14:22-24 (KJV)
22And Abram said to the king of Sodom, I have lift up mine hand unto the LORD, the most high God, the possessor of heaven and earth,
23That I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich:
24Save only that which the young men have eaten, and the portion of the men which went with me, Aner, Eshcol, and Mamre; let them take their portion.

Notice in verses 23 and 24 Abram also acknowledges that the goods belonged to the king of Sodom. But the king of Sodam offered that Abram could keep the goods for himself. Abram declined the offer. He didn’t want man to take credit for his wealth. By not accepting any of the goods for himself, Abram was putting all his faith in God to provide for him rather than man.

Therefore, it is clear that both the king of Sodom and Abram acknowledged that the spoils of war did NOT belong to Abram, yet he gave a tenth of the spoils to King Melchizedek. This would seem that Abram did something wrong, if not even illegal, but Biblical historians agree that it was custom in Abram's day to give the king a tenth of the war spoils. Had Abram not given the tenth, he would have gone against custom.

Conclusion: Abram did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him and declined to keep the goods offered to him. That is NOT an example of tithing for Christians to follow today. By declining to keep any of the goods for himself, Abram showed his faith that God would provide. That is the example of faith that Christians should be following. Furthermore, the law did NOT require a tenth of war spoils to be given, so to say that tithing was before the law and then in the law is not true. What Abram did was NOT even codified into the later law.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 - We don't know WHY Abram gave the tenth to Melchizedek. However, Biblical historians agree that during that period of time it was custom to give a tenth of the war spoils to the king.

We do know why; because he was a high priest. Notice in Genesis 14:20 that Abraham paid his tithe after Melchizedek brought out bread and wine and blessed him?

2 - How do you reason that Christians should give a tenth of their income when there is no scripture showing that Abram/Abraham ever gave a tenth of his income? To follow Abram's one-time example, you would have to go to war and return with the spoils.

Spoils are income.

3 - I agree the New Testament standard is higher. However, the OT standard of giving was NOT 10%. It was zero. ONLY those who inherited the promised land were required to take the tithe to the Levites.

If you were in the covenant, you were required to tithe. If you're not in the covenant, you have bigger problems than figuring out what to tithe. The standard obviously applies to the children of God only.

4 - The priesthood is not TO the priesthood of Melchizedek, it is IN THE ORDER OF Melchizedek. Both the Melchizedek priesthood and that of the priesthood of Jesus Christ occur not from the law. The priesthood of Jesus Christ is SUPERIOR to that of Melchizedek.

It's in the likeness of Melchizedek (Hebrews 7:15)..the likeness is that Melchizedek is both a king and a priest and he has an eternal priesthood. Many people think that Melchizedek was actually Jesus. In any case, this is really just a matter of terminology and has nothing to do with the point. Melchizedek is still a type of Christ regardless. It says in the word that there was a change of priesthood..so the Levitical priesthood changed into something else. What do you think His priesthood is called?

Conclusion: Abram did NOT give a tenth of his income, or his wealth. Abram gave a tenth of the spoils of war that didn’t belong to him and declined to keep the goods offered to him.

Hebrews 7:9 One might even say that Levi himself, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham,
Hebrews 7:10 for he was still in the loins of his ancestor when Melchizedek met him.

According to the scripture it was a legitimate tithe.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We do know why; because he was a high priest. Notice in Genesis 14:20 that Abraham paid his tithe after Melchizedek brought out bread and wine and blessed him?

That doesn't tell us WHY Abram gave the tenth. Was it out of faith? Was it custom? Was it law of the land? WE DON'T KNOW.

Spoils are income.

Not in this case. Abram went to war to RESCUE his nephew lot and others and to RECOVER stolen goods. Abram RETURNED those goods except for the tenth.

If you were in the covenant, you were required to tithe. If you're not in the covenant, you have bigger problems than figuring out what to tithe. The standard obviously applies to the children of God only.

Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter didn't tithe as a fisherman. You totally misunderstand what God's tithe was all about. God required a tenth from HIS increase, not man's income. Then God gave His tenth to the Levites AS THEIR INHERITANCE. Show me where God has given anyone other than the Levites permission to receive His tithe.

It says in the word that there was a change of priesthood..so the Levitical priesthood changed into something else. What do you think His priesthood is called?

WE, all born-again believers, are the new priesthood, with Jesus Christ as the highest priest. WE are a royal priesthood.

Hebrews 7:7 (KJV) “And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.”

Abram, the lesser, was blessed by the King-Priest Melchisedek, the better.

Abram gave the tenth to the better.

1 Peter 2:5 (KJV) “Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.”

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:”

1 - According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe (Numbers 18).
2 - As priests, all born-again believers are equal. There is no better or lesser among us. God has not designated any born-again believers to collect His tithe.
3 - To try and “tithe” today is denying that you are a part of a Royal Priesthood.

Upvote 0

Bobby64

Jun 23, 2012
Somewhere
✟16,666.00
Country
Gambia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, I don't want to get wrapped up in all this high-minded theology arguing, but I think the main point is that we're supposed to give "our" things and money to help others because we are called to do so as loving Christians. That's why I donate to a charity regularly.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Well, I don't want to get wrapped up in all this high-minded theology arguing, but I think the main point is that we're supposed to give "our" things and money to help others because we are called to do so as loving Christians. That's why I donate to a charity regularly.

You are exactly correct. Jesus said whatever you do for the needy/poor you do for Him. Jesus NEVER said when you give to the church you are giving to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But He established the church such as "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" Eph 4

Yeshua watched who contributed and how much "And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. 3 And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:" Luke 21

If He doesn't have our money, He doesn't have all of us. It's ALL His anyway.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If He doesn't have our money, He doesn't have all of us. It's ALL His anyway.

Are you saying we should give 100% of our income away?

We are to be good stewards of what God gives to us or allows us to earn, NOT give it all away. God wants our heart, NOT our money.

Upvote 0

GaryArnold

May 10, 2010
USA
Visit site
✟8,409.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, we should give all our money to God, in a spiritual sense that is. We should only buy what He wants us to buy, and only earn what He wants us to earn.

How about some scripture to back this up?

And please tell me, HOW does one give all our money to God IN A SPIRITUAL SENSE? That doesn't even make sense.

"only earn what He wants us to earn" - please explain.

I agree that we should be spirit led in our purchases and in our giving.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That doesn't tell us WHY Abram gave the tenth. Was it out of faith? Was it custom? Was it law of the land? WE DON'T KNOW.

The scripture calls it a tithe. It doesn't really matter why because the point is that it's a typology of Christ and the church.

Not in this case. Abram went to war to RESCUE his nephew lot and others and to RECOVER stolen goods. Abram RETURNED those goods except for the tenth.

You're creating a distinction without a difference. The scripture says it was a tithe, which means it came from his income.

Wage earners did not tithe. Jesus did not tithe as a carpenter. Paul did not tithe as a tent maker. Peter didn't tithe as a fisherman. You totally misunderstand what God's tithe was all about. God required a tenth from HIS increase, not man's income. Then God gave His tenth to the Levites AS THEIR INHERITANCE. Show me where God has given anyone other than the Levites permission to receive His tithe.

We're not talking about the law because Abraham was before the law was given.

1 - According to the scriptures, priests do not tithe (Numbers 18).
2 - As priests, all born-again believers are equal. There is no better or lesser among us. God has not designated any born-again believers to collect His tithe.
3 - To try and “tithe” today is denying that you are a part of a Royal Priesthood.

Again we're not talking about the law. My point is that Abraham is a type of the church and Melchizedek is a type of Christ. We may all be equal but we're not equal to God who has commanded that we sacrifice all we have for the Kingdom.

I'm curious..do you go to church? If so, do you not tithe?

Upvote 0