what do pentecostals believe about mental illnesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shalia said:
I decided something during all this. I decided God made us smart enough to create doctors and meds for a reason. He made us able to to help ourselves through modern medicine for a reason. I've NEVER had a clearer mind. I've never been able to sleep like I can now. I've NEVER been able to work like I do, concentrate like I can, etc. I can do it because God created people who can make medicines. It's made me so thankful for modern medicine I now want to go into pharmacology.
I was at the Women of Faith conference in Philly recently and Sheila Walsh was there. Anyone familiar with her know she's suffered from depression for years (I believe she's bipolar, but not 100% sure). When she disclosed this, her music career went down hill because of the belief that Christians shouldn't be depressed. She is now a key member of Women of Faith. She indicated that she's still taking meds and was embarassed until recently. When sharing that she still relied on meds, a woman approached her and told her what a release of guilt she had due to Sheila's ordeal. God doesn't give us guilt and condemnation!

Do I believe God can cure bipolar like he does cancer? YES! Do I believe he can cure the cerebral palsy of the little boy in my church? YES! BUT, I also know that HE chooses to allow us to go through things for a reason. He chooses to heal some here on earth and to heal other's in heaven. This DOES NOT mean he loves one more than the other, it just means he has different plans for each of them. Some people will always rely on meds. Some will not.

I also believe, that in some situations, there are underlying causes of depression that only God can heal. I was once told that one shouldn't necessarily pray not to be depressed, but ask God WHY you're depressed. David cried out "why so downcast oh my soul". Ask what in your life may be the underlying cause (this would go for the non-chemical depression).

Blessings.

Upvote 0

eve777

Sep 28, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I beleive that God provides for those who are mentally ill. A sick mind is like a sick body..... Some healings are instant and some take a while. Some will never be healed and we must accept this as truth. Experience tells us this is true. I don't begin to understand why some are healed and some are not and why some must bear burdens so much worse than others. Only God knows, but I do not rule out Doctors as a vessel through which God does his healing. I also believe in casting out devils for the mentally ill if you have a strong supiscion that that may be the cause. Jesus healed someone from mental illness in the Bible by casting out devils. But you must be very careful if this is the road you choose.

I know Job had to suffer and so did Paul. Even Timothy had a bad stomach and I believe it was Barnabus who had to leave the group and go back home when he got sick. I am sure they prayed for healing too. In fact, the Bible says they did but for what ever reason, they were not healed at the time.

I just lay the burden at God's feet and accept whatever he thinks is best for me and my loved ones. After all, where else could we go? In the End we will all be healed.

Upvote 0

Shalia

Veteran
Sep 7, 2004
Utah
✟9,882.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for that, immersedingrace. :) Reading the "validation" of sorts helped.

3:16 - I agree on "Our Father" prayer, of course. It's beautiful and an important part of scripture. But what is overlooked is the "thy will be done". We can pray and pray and if God has a purpose and God says "no" then what? We just spend the rest of our lives feeling like we are "bad" Christians instead? As Eve said above, Paul, Timothy, Barnabus, Job, they ALL had sickness, and God didn't cure them all when they prayed. And being good men of God, I'm sure they did consistantly. Sometimes God says "no" and He has a reason. And it *hurts* any Christian living with mental illness to hear how we're just not living faithful enough or praying enough or anything enough when sometimes it might not be God's will.

Upvote 0

immersedingrace

I feel like I've been dipped in Diamonds!
Aug 10, 2004
New York City
✟19,895.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shalia said:
Thanks for that, immersedingrace. :) Reading the "validation" of sorts helped.
You are most welcome. I don't know what Sheila Walsh's denomination is, and quite frankly, I don't care, but I do know that she is a woman after God's own heart. You can't listen to her talk about the deep pain she suffered IN her illness as well as within the Christian community and hear her speak of where God has brought her without knowing that. If you're interested, her 2004 Women of Faith, Irrepressible Hope message is on CD/DVD and is well worth the listen. Here's the link for more information: http://store.womenoffaith.com/wofstore/product_detail.asp?dept%5Fid=14000&sku=XSWIH04 The whole conference has been videotaped and recorded as it's gone across the country. Patsy Clairmont was an Agoraphobic who wouldn't leaver her home. Her message is also worth listening to. OK...so the WHOLE conference is worth listening to...but those two specifically dealt with mental illness and how they've dealt with it through God's help.

I would also recommend reading Sheila's book: The Heartache No One Sees.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.