• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

What do I do when....?

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I don't know why but I turn all red, my palms become sweaty, and I fidget in public. This is a real problem. I get nervous when people stare at me. I also face a problem when I want to do or say something. I sometimes become fearful. My heart beats fast. I don't know what to do. I am not sure if I have a disorder or if the cause is problems that I faced in the past. Any have any advice for me? :help:

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
love4jesus said:
I don't know why but I turn all red, my palms become sweaty, and I fidget in public. This is a real problem. I get nervous when people stare at me. I also face a problem when I want to do or say something. I sometimes become fearful. My heart beats fast. I don't know what to do. I am not sure if I have a disorder or if the cause is problems that I faced in the past. Any have any advice for me? :help:
It does sound as if you are a very shy person, not used to communicate with people. I do remember feeling like this when I had to recite a poem or, worse, a song in public. And later when I had to attend public meetings and speak in public.

I still can't recite a poem and I still can't carry a tune but speaking in public, and engaging in conversation with others is not a problem anymore.

It does not sound to me as if you have a disorder - but then I am not an expert.

Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
carmi said:
It does sound as if you are a very shy person, not used to communicate with people. I do remember feeling like this when I had to recite a poem or, worse, a song in public. And later when I had to attend public meetings and speak in public.

I still can't recite a poem and I still can't carry a tune but speaking in public, and engaging in conversation with others is not a problem anymore.

It does not sound to me as if you have a disorder - but then I am not an expert.
Yes, I am too shy. :blush: To think the Lord is calling me to be a youth minister too. I am kind of scared because I am so shy. I can fall if I am not ready. I am leaving it in the Lord's hands and going to school to be a youth minister right now. :amen: How did you overcome it?

Upvote 0

GodsGoose

Dec 18, 2004
Colorado
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
love4jesus said:
Yes, I am too shy. :blush: To think the Lord is calling me to be a youth minister too. I am kind of scared because I am so shy. I can fall if I am not ready. I am leaving it in the Lord's hands and going to school to be a youth minister right now. :amen: How did you overcome it?
I am kind of like that too. In one of my classes, we do graded discussions and are graded on what we say and how much it helped the discussion. It kind of stinks. Especially because when I try to say things I get nervous and end up saying something other than what I intended and its usually something that didnt help the discussion at all, which then makes me all the more embarrassed. Another time Ive had to deal with this was to graduate 8th grade, we had to give a presentation in front of teachers, parents and counsel members of our city. On the way to the school that morning, my mom's friend gave me a verse. Its somewhere in Hebrews... maybe 3:11 but it says "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid, for what can man do to me?" I suggest holding tight to that verse and remembering that in God's eyes you are beautiful and He made you and He loves you so much and that all that He sees when He looks at you and listens to you is all that matters... also pray and claim that verse for yourself that you wont be afraid of what they think of you cause you are God's child and thats all that matters
Hope that helps! sorry that it was so long! I will pray that God will help ya with this!

Your sis in Christ

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
love4jesus said:
Getting comfortable with approaching people and talking to them:

I started slowly, that is with something something small. For example:

- I would give myself the task to at least once a week when walking in the street ask someone for the time or for a direction (is there a supermarket nearby?).

- Open doors ... literally - at shopping centres, public libraries (when you see an elderly, disabled person or someone carrying bags and packages or someone with small kids) open the door for them or if there are automatic doors position yourself so that the door will stay open and they don't have to wait but can go right through. And smile. Most people will smile back, say something or just nod ... but at least you get a different reaction/feeling than people just staring at you. And nobody will think you are "coming on to them". Maybe not immediately but eventually you'll be able to say something, even "God bless".

And don't forget Nehemiah's example ... each time you do this, send up a prayer to God and ask Him to help you and encourage you or to give you the right words.

Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
GodsGoose said:
I am kind of like that too. In one of my classes, we do graded discussions and are graded on what we say and how much it helped the discussion. It kind of stinks. Especially because when I try to say things I get nervous and end up saying something other than what I intended and its usually something that didnt help the discussion at all, which then makes me all the more embarrassed. Another time Ive had to deal with this was to graduate 8th grade, we had to give a presentation in front of teachers, parents and counsel members of our city. On the way to the school that morning, my mom's friend gave me a verse. Its somewhere in Hebrews... maybe 3:11 but it says "The Lord is my helper, I will not be afraid, for what can man do to me?" I suggest holding tight to that verse and remembering that in God's eyes you are beautiful and He made you and He loves you so much and that all that He sees when He looks at you and listens to you is all that matters... also pray and claim that verse for yourself that you wont be afraid of what they think of you cause you are God's child and thats all that matters
Hope that helps! sorry that it was so long! I will pray that God will help ya with this!

Your sis in Christ
Thank you, I will remember that verse. ;) I also want to thank you for the Godly advice that you have given me. :hug: I need your prayers. I appreciate you sharing your past experiences as well. May the Lord continue to bless you in your life. May you grow in patience, love, and in his word.

Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
carmi said:
Getting comfortable with approaching people and talking to them:

I started slowly, that is with something something small. For example:

- I would give myself the task to at least once a week when walking in the street ask someone for the time or for a direction (is there a supermarket nearby?).

- Open doors ... literally - at shopping centres, public libraries (when you see an elderly, disabled person or someone carrying bags and packages or someone with small kids) open the door for them or if there are automatic doors position yourself so that the door will stay open and they don't have to wait but can go right through. And smile. Most people will smile back, say something or just nod ... but at least you get a different reaction/feeling than people just staring at you. And nobody will think you are "coming on to them". Maybe not immediately but eventually you'll be able to say something, even "God bless".

And don't forget Nehemiah's example ... each time you do this, send up a prayer to God and ask Him to help you and encourage you or to give you the right words.
Thank you for the hints to get out of my shyness. It is embarrassing. :sorry: I use to more shy but I am starting to talk more. I have to since I am in full-time ministry at church. I am quiet most of the time. Sometimes I get shy but then I overcome it because communication is key in ministering to others. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

GodsGoose

Dec 18, 2004
Colorado
✟189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are very welcome and it was my pleasure sharing those experiences and that verse with you! I think sometimes the reasons we go through things is so God can use them for His glory and so that we can help others out who are going through the same thing. :D I will be praying! And thank you for your wish for God's blessings on my life and I pray He will bless your's as well! :D You sound like a truly awesome, girl who is a true follower of Jesus!! :thumbsup: Way to go with that cause its hard to be that way! May you always stay that way and grow closer to Jesus every day

Reactions: Love&Pain
Upvote 0

TheMainException

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2004
In my universe
✟19,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It could just be part of who you are...but then again...it could be something dealing with anxiety....I might look into it just to be sure...maybe some meds to calm you down or some talk therapy might help...something you might want to try...

Upvote 0

Love&Pain

Love Your Enemies
Oct 12, 2003
California
✟26,053.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
LAWise520 said:
It could just be part of who you are...but then again...it could be something dealing with anxiety....I might look into it just to be sure...maybe some meds to calm you down or some talk therapy might help...something you might want to try...
I am not sure but I have been shy since I was little. :scratch: I am not sure if it is genetic or if these characteristics developed through certian circumstances. I may have been molded to be the person that I am. I am going to break free from it by taking speech class at school. I don't want to take meds. :o Thank you for your advice. :hug:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums