✟917.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

This is inspired from another thread where I posted this question (which was a couple of weeks ago or so). I thought it would be interesting to discuss the meaning of "fellowship". As I stated before, I had always thought that fellowship is when we get together for the main purpose of discussing the bible and our Lord. Depending on where I go, this tends to be the definition. Some of the other places I've been to have broadened the definition to say that anytime Christians come together, then they are fellowshipping...doesn't matter if our Lord is mentioned or not. So, I'm interested to know what you view as fellowship time.

I haven't done any research on this (shame on me) so I can't supply any verses to back up my thoughts which is one of the reasons I'm starting this thread...so I'd appreciate if you could back up your words with scripture.

Thanks!

John

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Main Entry: 1fel·low·ship
Pronunciation: 'fe-l&-"ship, -lO-
Function: noun
1 : COMPANIONSHIP, COMPANY
2 a : community of interest, activity, feeling, or experience b : the state of being a fellow or associate
3 : a company of equals or friends : ASSOCIATION
4 : the quality or state of being comradely

Upvote 0

NicodemusPrime

Sola scriptura
Sep 9, 2004
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
✟7,738.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would say that it is anythime christians come together not just to worship but also to support each other, share experiences and opinions (debating included). To me it is any interaction between Christians which supports or strengths our faith.

Upvote 0

Gold Dragon

Senior Veteran
Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would agree more with the broader definition of fellowship where discussion about God and the Bible are common but not required. However, I wouldn't say that every instance where Christians get together is considered fellowshipping. Two Christians throwing punches at each other are obviously not fellowshipping. ;)

In my mind fellowshipping involves an active building up of a community where there is a sense of belonging. Often that involves talking about God and the Bible but not always.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2

Rangers Lead the Way
Aug 20, 2004
Texas
✟3,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose this is an 'Official' definition. Makes sense, I suppose. I think we can have fellowship without having a Bible study or sermon. It involves, in some way, the building up of each other, the giving of oneself to others. Thus, arguement and strife have no place in true fellowship. Then again, I'm still trying to figure out the definition myself.
attachment.php

Baker's Evangelical Dictionary of Biblical Theology said:
Fellowship

the fact and experience of Christian fellowship only exists because God the Father through Jesus Christ, the Son, and by/in the Spirit has established in grace a relation (a "new covenant") with humankind. Those who believe the gospel of the resurrection are united in the Spirit through the Son to the Father. The relation leads to the reality of relatedness and thus to an experienced relationship (a "communion") between man and God. And those who are thus "in Christ" (as the apostle Paul often states) are in communion not only with Jesus Christ (and the Father) in the Spirit but also with one another. This relatedness, relationship, and communion is fellowship.

General Background. In the colloquial Greek of the New Testament period, koinonia [koinwniva] was used in several ways. It was used of a business partnership, where two or more persons share the same business and are thus closely connected in work. Also it was used of marriage, of the shared life of two persons, a man and a woman, together. Further, it was sometimes used of a perceived relatedness to a god, such as Zeus. Finally, it was used to refer to the spirit of generous sharing in contrast to the spirit of selfish acquiring.
Much of the use of the word group— koinonia [koinwniva], koinonein [koinwnevw], and koinonos [koinwnov"] —in the New Testament corresponds to general Greek usage. Thus the fellowship and sharing are religious or specifically Christian only if the context requires this meaning. For example, in ac 2:42 we encounter the word Koinonia [koinwniva] and read that the new converts continued in "the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship." Here it is a normal meaning adapted to Christian usage. Then the verb, koinonein [koinwnevw], is found in Hebrews 2:14 with an ordinary, general meaning: "children share flesh and blood." Likewise, koinonos [koinwnov"] occurs with the meaning of "partner" in Luke 5:10—" [James and John] … Simon's partners. "
However, it is especially, but not solely, in the writings of the apostle Paul that the theological dimension of koinonia, [koinwniva] "fellowship/sharing/participation" is developed and clearly presented. Here the normal meanings of the words are transformed in service of the kingdom of God and as they identify a sharing in the communion of the blessed and Holy Trinity. That is, they point specifically to the supernatural life of God given to and shared with humankind through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit. The emphasis of the New Testament is also on participation in something that is an objective reality rather than on an association with someone

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.